Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Mustanh handeling options

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 12:05 PM
SlideWRX
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Mustanh handeling options

ORIGINAL: F1Fan

The reason is that Wheel hop is not realted to the struts you use. Wheel hop on thr S197 is caused by too much movement allowed by the soft stock rubber bushings. Replace the LCA's and maybe UCA with performance parts and the wheel hop goes away. That said I suggest installing FRPP GT500 LCA's and see if the wheel hop isreduced to a level you can live with. Don't be fooled if your wheel hopgoes away after lowering the car, this is a flaw in the suspension geometry caused by lowering the car which moves the S197's IC forwardtoo much.

HTH!
Fyi, I came across another thread mentioning the GT500 LCA's have the same bushing as the regular GT. I have a set I was going to install this summer, and was able to confirm that the rubber bushings (not the overall part) have the same part number. the part numbersare molded into the bushing.

For me it means a different auto-x class to swap out for aftermarket LCA's.
Old 04-16-2008, 12:20 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

What class are you trying to stay in?

Norm
Old 04-16-2008, 08:19 PM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SlideWRX
The reason is that Wheel hop is not realted to the struts you use. Wheel hop on thr S197 is caused by too much movement allowed by the soft stock rubber bushings. Replace the LCA's and maybe UCA with performance parts and the wheel hop goes away. That said I suggest installing FRPP GT500 LCA's and see if the wheel hop isreduced to a level you can live with. Don't be fooled if your wheel hopgoes away after lowering the car, this is a flaw in the suspension geometry caused by lowering the car which moves the S197's IC forwardtoo much.

HTH!
Fyi, I came across another thread mentioning the GT500 LCA's have the same bushing as the regular GT. I have a set I was going to install this summer, and was able to confirm that the rubber bushings (not the overall part) have the same part number. the part numbersare molded into the bushing.

For me it means a different auto-x class to swap out for aftermarket LCA's.
Hi SlideWRX,

Your information is simply incorrect. The GT500 LCA's use a much harder durometer rubber bushing and are definitely not the same bushing material. The fact that they have a mold number just means that they used the same molds not that the rubber durometerused was the same. If you look at many of the poly bushings on the market the same mold numbers are seen in both the hard and soft versions of the bushings, thenumber is just a mold number nothing else. With poly bushing we used different colors of poly to indicate what durometer poly the bushing was poured from but they all had the same mold numbers showing.If you doubt this call FRPP and/or read the FRPP GT500 LCA description. The GT500 LCA's are slightly different and use a harder bushing, this is thereason they are on the GT500's to help control wheel hop. Use common sense, why wouldFord use a different part number if they were the same parts? It is easy to test the relative hardness of the bushing material. just see how hard your GT500 LCA bushings are and compart them to how hard the stock GT LCA buahing are. Trust me they are very different bushings!

HTH!
Old 04-16-2008, 11:21 PM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

FYI - Maximum Motorsportshas Energy Suspension poly bushings for the factory lca's. They're $67.95. That's acase of beer cheaper than a set ofGT500's.

Old 04-17-2008, 09:41 AM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: RodeoFlyer
FYI - Maximum Motorsportshas Energy Suspension poly bushings for the factory lca's. They're $67.95. That's acase of beer cheaper than a set ofGT500's.
Hi RodeoFlyer,

Yes I've seen them on the MM and Energywebsites. These poly bushings arequite a bitstiffer than the GT500's rubber bushings andbeing poly operate in a different manner than the vulcanized rubber GT500 bushings. The stockLCA's use a rubber bushing that is vulcanizedto a steel sleeve and then pressed intothe LCA itself.This means thatbasically is the rubber bushing is bonded to the LCA's and as the arm moves up and down the rubber is twisted around the thick steel tube in the middle of the bushing. This means the GT500 LCAbushings have a small preload but it works inboth directions unlike a poly bushing which only adds artificalspring rate in one direction.I alsocan't figure out how Energykeeps the LCA's centered on the bushings as the poly cannot be bonded to the LCA's like they are designed to be used.

Cheers!
Old 04-18-2008, 10:07 AM
SlideWRX
2nd Gear Member

Hi SlideWRX,

Your information is simply incorrect. The GT500 LCA's use a much harder durometer rubber bushing and are definitely not the same bushing material. The fact that they have a mold number just means that they used the same molds not that the rubber durometerused was the same. If you look at many of the poly bushings on the market the same mold numbers are seen in both the hard and soft versions of the bushings, thenumber is just a mold number nothing else. With poly bushing we used different colors of poly to indicate what durometer poly the bushing was poured from but they all had the same mold numbers showing.If you doubt this call FRPP and/or read the FRPP GT500 LCA description. The GT500 LCA's are slightly different and use a harder bushing, this is thereason they are on the GT500's to help control wheel hop. Use common sense, why wouldFord use a different part number if they were the same parts? It is easy to test the relative hardness of the bushing material. just see how hard your GT500 LCA bushings are and compart them to how hard the stock GT LCA buahing are. Trust me they are very different bushings!

HTH!
I actually though about doing this, as I had the same thought about the mold. However some threads elsewhere indicated that the bushing feel the same out of the car. I may do it anyway! As for the description, I think marketing may have put it there; for example they say the FR500c steering rack is a quick rack at 15.6:1. The stock rack is 15.6:1. I kinda wish/hope the FR500c rack is a different ratio. Supposedly it has less power assist to give it more feel.

As for Auto-x, the J&M rear LCA's throw me into Street Modified; I need an OEM LCA to go back into ESP or STX/STU. Since the GT500's are OEM with different bushings (which is allowed, splitting hairs IMHO) I planned on using those. I'm actually considering staying in TSM (street tire street modified) now, since I'm not to concerned with a trophy or building my car to class specs. I just compare against some other Mustang drivers who go to nationals to check my improvement.
Old 04-19-2008, 11:02 PM
ZeroIngold
2nd Gear Member

So my budget has increased and I was thinking of getting koni's, bmr non adj uca, lca adjustable, k member with engine mounts, steeda springs, and maybe strut mounts from steeda. I do not know a place to get a good deal on some of these but koni= 680, uca=lca=350, kmem=180, steeda springs=230, strut mounts=250. Are these ok prices?