Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Koni vs. D-specs.. a customer's view

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 08:03 PM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Koni vs. D-specs.. a customer's view

ORIGINAL: SVThis

I'm sure the reason Sam is on here is to sell stuff. That's his business. He is however a sponsor and I see nothing wrong with that. I'm alwaysa little leary when someone tries to do that.With that being said, what ever advice Sam gives, you can take it to the bank.

What everhe sells you will work and work well. I'm in no way affiliated with Sam and in fact was a competitor of his when I worked at the Tire Rack for 20 years. I have bought products from him for my Camaro in the past and will continue to do so if I buy a Mustang.

Iautocross my current car in Street Mod, although it is very close to being an ESP car. I can't count the number of times ofpeople coming up to me commentingabout being blown awayby the capabilities of the car.I can thank Sam for that.

Here's a picture of the Mulletmobile at the Tire Rack test track. This was before going to 17x11's and 315/35/17's
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2..._100904_26.jpg
By the way, the car's running Koni yellows.
WTF?

THAT is by far the most ridiculous post i've seen in here yet. Sam doesn't need to be defended. He's a site sponsor and has purchased the right to sell parts and use the site to his advantage. What the site doesn't need is an F-body *** signing up to defend him. BTW - the Mustang will STILL outsell the new Camaro like it ALWAYS HAS and ALWAYS WILL. [sm=gears.gif]

I don't always agree with Sam or anybody else on here for that matter. Sometimes everyone agrees. This place is full of opinions by definition. Some are correct and informative, some are not.

If I had to guess Sam posted this as an example of how the average Joe describes their experience because there are some people on here that don't understand words that have more than a couple of syllables. Rather than spew out technical $hit that some people don't "get", he said "here's what Joe Shmoe said".

This is an example of one of those useless threads that spirals out of control. Sam posted a customer's view. View it.
Old 04-20-2008, 09:00 AM
timothyrw
3rd Gear Member

^^^^ZZZZZZZZZZING!

i know now what the "f" in f-body means...
Old 04-20-2008, 03:48 PM
SVThis

ORIGINAL: RodeoFlyer

ORIGINAL: SVThis

I'm sure the reason Sam is on here is to sell stuff. That's his business. He is however a sponsor and I see nothing wrong with that. I'm alwaysa little leary when someone tries to do that.With that being said, what ever advice Sam gives, you can take it to the bank.

What everhe sells you will work and work well. I'm in no way affiliated with Sam and in fact was a competitor of his when I worked at the Tire Rack for 20 years. I have bought products from him for my Camaro in the past and will continue to do so if I buy a Mustang.

Iautocross my current car in Street Mod, although it is very close to being an ESP car. I can't count the number of times ofpeople coming up to me commentingabout being blown awayby the capabilities of the car.I can thank Sam for that.

Here's a picture of the Mulletmobile at the Tire Rack test track. This was before going to 17x11's and 315/35/17's
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2..._100904_26.jpg
By the way, the car's running Koni yellows.
WTF?

THAT is by far the most ridiculous post i've seen in here yet. Sam doesn't need to be defended. He's a site sponsor and has purchased the right to sell parts and use the site to his advantage. What the site doesn't need is an F-body *** signing up to defend him. BTW - the Mustang will STILL outsell the new Camaro like it ALWAYS HAS and ALWAYS WILL. [sm=gears.gif]

I don't always agree with Sam or anybody else on here for that matter. Sometimes everyone agrees. This place is full of opinions by definition. Some are correct and informative, some are not.

If I had to guess Sam posted this as an example of how the average Joe describes their experience because there are some people on here that don't understand words that have more than a couple of syllables. Rather than spew out technical $hit that some people don't "get", he said "here's what Joe Shmoe said".

This is an example of one of those useless threads that spirals out of control. Sam posted a customer's view. View it.
Hi there RodeoLiar. Thanks for the warm welcome. I'll defend Sam if I want to, even if I have to read your stupid *** comments in the process.

Just for your own education, which from your above postI'm sure you have very little of,I didn't sign up on here just to defend Sam. Believe it or not I'm actually considering buying a new Mustang to run in F stock. I've been lurking on this board for a long time. I've been autocrossing and trackingF bodies and Mustangs for 30 years or about the time you were born. Do you think I give a **** if the Mustang outsells the Camaro? I'm not some fan boyof Camaros.

Next time just get on your littlehorsie and ride off into the West. I might suggest the Grand Canyon.
http://artfiles.art.com/images/-/Hob...C10359529.jpeg
Old 04-20-2008, 04:30 PM
SVThis

ORIGINAL: timothyrw

^^^^ZZZZZZZZZZING!

i know now what the "f" in f-body means...
It's great this thread has been an education to you. The letter g by the way comes after f. By the way the "f" stands for faster than you.
Old 04-20-2008, 04:35 PM
siberian.mist
4th Gear Member

don't the konis have a defect or something though.. some kind of recall.. how can you be sure youre getting a "good set"
Old 04-20-2008, 10:01 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: siberian.mist

don't the Konis have a defect or something though.. some kind of recall.. how can you be sure youre getting a "good set"
Check this thread https://mustangforums.com/m_4676127/tm.htm
Old 04-21-2008, 10:23 AM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

I'm glad that the majority of people seem to understand how business and life works, and I appreciate it. Thank you to those that understand how the world works, and that realize that I can't just sit here and wait for folks to come to me. All companies advertise in some way, shape of form, or they aren't companies for long.

I do run a business, and it's how I pay my bills. No different than if you work at a desk, or drive a truck, or mow lawns. Letting people know that you have something to offer is a necessary part of staying in business (or keeping your job). I believe it's called advertising, and is part of what I paid for when I became a site sponsor. Now, the other difference here is that I actually own and driven Mustangs, most companies are here solely to advertise. I'm here for that, but also because I enjoy (usually) working with fellow owners.

I guess I upset the apple cart by showing up and sometimes disagreeing, and "tooting my own horn". I'm a bit sad that dissenting opinions are looked up by some with such disdain. [&o]
Old 04-21-2008, 10:28 AM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Yes, Koni's are adjustable... though unlike D-specs Koni's do not link the compression to the rebound damping. Koni's for S197's only do rebound damping (which I think is generallya good thing, but not everyone does because not everyone understands how compression and rebound differ).

There was a production issue, and during that time some other companies did not work with Koni to remedy the issues. I send all the "bad" ones back and had them replaced with good. Some places kept the bad ones because, since there was no official recall they were not compelled to return the bad ones. I still havea set of "bad" ones here, if I were as big a dirt-bag as some seem to think I'd have sold them to someone. Instead I was very proactive in making sure they weren't installed and that the customer who got them originally got replacements as fast as we could get them for him. Technically, I could sell those to someone. I never would, even right now when we are a few more weeks from more Koni stock. Easy sales aren't my bad..... correct ones are.
Old 04-21-2008, 11:39 AM
SlideWRX
2nd Gear Member

I haven't seen too many people post about actually driving on Konis vs D-specs on the same car/springs, so I'd say this is a usefull thread. Thanks for the comparison!

Tom
Old 04-21-2008, 12:06 PM
jayel579
2nd Gear Member

Sam Strano claims 4th SCCA National Championship and 3rd ProSolo Series Championship (www.stranoparts.com)

Can anyone else claim that here on there racing resume?

I have spoken to Sam on a handful of occasions regarding parts that I purchased from him, he went as far as to find another supplier because he couldn't provide me with the "corrected" Koni's. Everytime he has called me or I have called him, I sit with a pad and pen in hand to take notes. The man is an open book and has a wealth of knowledge regarding suspension setup. Very few companies go that extra mile to ensure a customer is completely satisfied with there purchase, Sam does everytime. I have read thisin a number of posts from customers from this forum alone, including myself. As Ifurther the setup on my car I will continue to be a deticated customer of his for his service and knowledge.

Quick Reply: Koni vs. D-specs.. a customer's view