Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Koni vs. D-specs.. a customer's view

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 10:02 PM
07musclemustang
4th Gear Member

sam is the man!
WE are all pleased that you earn your bussines on your valued information vrs bottom line or cheap tricks. Sam is not picking a fight just posting information on his and others experience with said products. He is doing so to earn future bussines through being the source with his vast information.
Sam has earned my business but not just yet as our canadian dollar is worth about 75 cents.
Sam I havent forgot about ya just still waiting on our dollar to recover and then its arm time... got till about may to wait then its race time..
Old 11-22-2008, 01:55 PM
PonyGT2005
2nd Gear Member

Default 6 months later...

OMG, I have not been to this site in 6 months and the first thread that pops up is this one!
That's just too funny!
Sam, don't know you but hear you are a great guy and glad to hear that it sounds like business is doing well for you!

Just offering my 2cents on this for anyone who wants another data point.
Love Konis, always have.
I have however, been running the D-Specs for going on three years now and they have been virtually install and forget. I was an early adopter when I was first prepping the car for dual street/track duty and since then the car has made its way into full time race duty.
I am really happy with the results that I have attained with the relatively inexpensive suspension upgrades I have made. I would suggest that the D-Specs are more than enough for the average stang owner and even those that are looking to be competitive.

Now having said that...when they die (and they will, damn surprised they have not yet..time to hit the dyno in fact) I will be open to other options, but if this was a street/track car still, I'd probably go with the Tokico's again.
Old 11-24-2008, 12:53 PM
Vapour Trails
3rd Gear Member

Sorry I was wrong, they are only 42% more expensive from your site. Compared to what I paid for my D-specs (480) it is almost 60%.
Old 11-24-2008, 01:08 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

To each his own.

I've run both Koni and D-specs. I'm not hating on the D-specs, just calling like I see it having run both (and won on both) and having dyno'ed both.

It's hard to argue with those that haven't had the same experiences if they don't want to listen. Yes, Koni's cost more. Yes, the D-specs work pretty darned well. No, I don't think they are composed, and know they aren't as durable. And their warrant sucks if you do break one. In fact on another site there was a whole thread about it, started by a vendor (not me) because the warrant service is so poor.

Cost is a factor when buying anything unless you are rich. It's a factor, it shouldn't be the deciding factor unless all else is even. It's not, Koni's and Tokico's work differently, they feel different and shocks are as much about feel and composure as anything else. They are a huge part of inspiring confidence in the car.

A GT costs more than a V-6, and a V-6 is a good bargain (fastest car 0-60 for under 20k), but it's not a GT. When does cost overwhelm the gains? If the Koni's were $1k, I might have a different tune--but they aren't.

I've said it before, I'll say it again. I don't hate D-specs, I used them and they worked. I prefer Koni's. YMMV, but few have had the chance to experience both in a true test on otherwise identical setups. Those that have and I've talked to (3 or 4 being customers) prefer the Koni's too.
Old 11-24-2008, 01:13 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Vapour Trails
Sorry I was wrong, they are only 42% more expensive from your site. Compared to what I paid for my D-specs (480) it is almost 60%.
That's fine.... Never mind the fact both Tokico and Koni have had price increases this year. And let's call a spade a spade. You keep going on about 42%, 60%, etc. We're talking about a difference of about $200 when shipping is figured in between a set of Koni's and a set of D-specs. The price of one decent tire..... And Koni's will be on the car, and working for pretty much the life of the car. If one fails, it'll be covered. And again, I think they work better. That's worth $200 to me. And if I didn't think that, I wouldn't be running them on my own cars. Maybe I'm just crazy.
Old 11-24-2008, 02:50 PM
Texotic
5th Gear Member

I would have to say, that the Konis seem worth it. Much more adjustability, which is the only reason people buy either of these over regular shocks/struts.
Old 11-24-2008, 04:26 PM
07musclemustang
4th Gear Member

Im saving for koni's
Old 11-25-2008, 12:21 PM
scorpio333
2nd Gear Member

Dear Santa (or anyone else just in case Santa really doesn't exist)...

I've been a good boy this year...Please bring me one set of d specs and one set of Koni shocks. I promise I'll install both and kick the snot out of them. Which ever set I don't like I'll have the Easter Bunny pick up in the spring so you can have them back.

Sam makes a good point that once installed chances are good that whichever set you choose will be on there for good, between 500-800 for the lif of the car ain't bad. I had koni's on an older car for about 7 yrs, so about 100/yr is cheap, tires cost me double that easily. For me it's trying to make the decision on which way to go over the two front runners and then never really knowing what the other was like. On the other hand, why not bite the bullet and drop 1300 and try both out. ebay or craigslist the used set that doesn't meet your standards. I'm pretty sure there's a decent market for a slightly used set. I saw d specs with about 10K on them on ebay with 3 days left, the price is 40% of new.

C'mon Santa don't let me down...