Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

New Strut Mounts Fixed my Thunk! (TSB 07-18-2)

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 02:52 PM
SteedaGus
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Hicompression
Update: I bought the GT500 "green stud" strut mounts from 5.0resto and installed them this past Saturday. All of my sway bar end links were tight when I pulled the struts out, so that wasn't the problem. Although greatly reduced over the worn "gold stud" strut mounts, the "loose lumber" chuckle is still there over bumps. I'm so fed up with the crappy quality of the Ford strut mounts that I ordered the Steeda HD strut mounts. I'm gambling a different design strut mount (bearing) is going to fix the problem! I'll post up what happens after I've got them installed.

Anybody want to buy a set of 1 week old GT500 strut mounts?

I want to chime in here real quick. To make sure its not your endlinks, when you put them back together make sure you put loctite RED thread locked on the threads. What we have seen commonly happen is the endlinks come loose a little bit after some time driving causing noise.

Also, when transfering the spring isolator to our spring cup make sure the bearing does not shift and stays in place. If that bearing shifts it can cause a clunk once the plate is assembled and under load.

Gus
Old 01-05-2009, 03:09 PM
Hicompression
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SteedaGus
I want to chime in here real quick. To make sure its not your endlinks, when you put them back together make sure you put loctite RED thread locked on the threads. What we have seen commonly happen is the endlinks come loose a little bit after some time driving causing noise.

Also, when transfering the spring isolator to our spring cup make sure the bearing does not shift and stays in place. If that bearing shifts it can cause a clunk once the plate is assembled and under load.

Gus.
My endlink nuts were tight when I pulled out the gold stud strut mounts that I had previously installed myself. I'm able to torque the nuts pretty good with a 12 point crowfoot torque adapter I bought from Snap-On.

I will make double sure that the bearing stays in place when I install the isolators on the mounts. Thanks for the heads up. Hope the Steeda mounts cure my loose lumber thunking...
Old 01-05-2009, 03:19 PM
Hicompression
2nd Gear Member

Gus:
Which part in particular (in the exploded diagram) are you referring to as the "bearing"?
Attached Thumbnails  New Strut Mounts Fixed my Thunk! (TSB 07-18-2)-strutmountut8.jpg  
Old 01-11-2009, 06:20 PM
Hicompression
2nd Gear Member

Default Don't waste your money on Steeda strut mounts if you have the thunk

The Steeda mounts did not cure my front end thunking noise. I am very dissapointed. $300 for nothing. I even decided to see if the sway bar (and end links) were making the noise. Nope. I removed the sway bar assembly and drove the car around. The thunking is still present over bumps. Back to square one...

Anyone want to buy some Steeda HD strut mounts?
Old 01-11-2009, 06:28 PM
Mustangs4U
3rd Gear Member

Are you kidding....man, I was hoping it would fix it. If it's not the end links or the strut mount and I've replaced my lower control arms for it. What is left?????

Not sure if this helps but mine will even clunk with I put it in reverse and the car jumps a little.....when the car jumps, the front end will clunk as it does when I hit the small bump on my drive way.............
Old 01-12-2009, 08:55 AM
Hicompression
2nd Gear Member

I'm probably going to purchase a new set of the "gold stud" TSB strut mounts. They fixed the thunking the first time, they just wore out after 7,000 miles. If push comes to shove, I'll sell the damn car and buy a new Challenger.
Old 01-12-2009, 11:54 AM
SteedaGus
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Hicompression
I'm probably going to purchase a new set of the "gold stud" TSB strut mounts. They fixed the thunking the first time, they just wore out after 7,000 miles. If push comes to shove, I'll sell the damn car and buy a new Challenger.

Havent you bought 2 other sets of strut mounts since then (o.e. and aftermarket) and it didnt fix the issue?

With all due respect I think its time to move on from the strut mounts and realize you may have a different issue going on here. Hard to diagnose a car remotely like this, but the struts themselves can make noise as well if they have failed.... something to think about as a possibility. I know this is becoming frustrating but strut mount after strut mount I think will just reinforce the frustration. Time to think outside the box.
Old 01-12-2009, 03:01 PM
Hicompression
2nd Gear Member

Havent you bought 2 other sets of strut mounts since then (o.e. and aftermarket) and it didnt fix the issue? .
Yes, and I should have completely read the 199+ page thread on "The Thunk" in which numerous people who tried the Steeda mounts stated that did not correct the thunk/loose lumber/rattle.
https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...ing-noise.html
Numerous people who also tried the GT500 strut mounts also stated they did not cure the thunk. I wasted a lot of money by not reading the complete thread and ended up repeating what others had tried. Nobody's fault but my own. What I do know is that the gold stud strut mounts from Ford (Ford part# 8R3Z-18183-B) DID fix their issue and it fixed mine (for 7,000 miles).

With all due respect I think its time to move on from the strut mounts and realize you may have a different issue going on here. Hard to diagnose a car remotely like this, but the struts themselves can make noise as well if they have failed.... something to think about as a possibility. I know this is becoming frustrating but strut mount after strut mount I think will just reinforce the frustration. Time to think outside the box.
I'm not going to agree it is a different problem until I try the Ford gold-stud strut mounts again. I have brand new Tokico blues on the front of the car so that's not the issue.
Old 01-12-2009, 04:41 PM
Mustangs4U
3rd Gear Member

I wonder why it only works for 7k miles. How much are they? If they are the only ones that fix it and it only last that long, I am just going to ignore the noise that mine makes.
Old 01-12-2009, 06:29 PM
Hicompression
2nd Gear Member

Exclamation Ford revised the mount again...

Update: I purchased the 8R3Z-18183-B "gold stud" strut mounts from my dealer today. Guess what...Ford revised the mounts and the studs are not gold anymore. They are now "black stud" mounts (just sounds wrong doesn't it? ).

The part number is stamped onto the bottom of the mount with the "black stud" description. I took the Steeda mount off the passenger's side tonight and replaced it with the new Ford mount. I ran out of daylight and I will replace the passenger side mount tomorrow. Then the Steeda mounts go up on Ebay or Craigslist. Stay tuned to see if this yet again revised mount fixed the thunk...

Last edited by Hicompression; 01-12-2009 at 06:37 PM.

Quick Reply: New Strut Mounts Fixed my Thunk! (TSB 07-18-2)