MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   S197 Handling Section (https://mustangforums.com/forum/s197-handling-section-121/)
-   -   07 C/S GT conv handeling ? (https://mustangforums.com/forum/s197-handling-section/437516-07-c-s-gt-conv-handeling.html)

stinx 04-24-2008 09:16 PM

07 C/S GT conv handeling ?

I recently purchased an 07 California Special convertable v-8 5 speed with 1500 miles on it. I love the car, but its handling in the corners is not great. in corners if feels like the ass end is loose or floating, this feeling is even more noticeable if the corner has any bumps in it at all. What if anything could be done to eliminate this ? any and all help is appreciated.

Norm Peterson 04-25-2008 10:49 AM

RE: 07 C/S GT conv handeling ?

Shocks. Adjustables, either Tokico D-Specs or Konis, would let you experiment a little to find settings that 'fit' your ride/handling preferencesa little closer than non-adjustables are apt to.

Norm

F1Fan 04-25-2008 07:34 PM

ORIGINAL: stinx
I recently purchased an 07 California Special convertable v-8 5 speed with 1500 miles on it. I love the car, but its handling in the corners is not great. in corners if feels like the ass end is loose or floating, this feeling is even more noticeable if the corner has any bumps in it at all. What if anything could be done to eliminate this ? any and all help is appreciated.
Hi stinx,

You have to be very careful with suspension mods toverts as the vertchassisare not as stiff as the coupe chassis which is why verts have softer springs than GT's. You can massively improve your vert's handling and ride just by installing a set of Tokico D-Spec dampers and a set of Eibach camber adjusting bolts. You can also improve front end brake dive, body roll and slightly lower the car by installing thesoftestof the sport spring available, the Steeda Ultralite Sport spring. They are still 20%firmer than the stock springs but the ride height is only 1" lower and leaves you with adequate suspension travle for avery nice ride if you set theD-Specs ata reasonable level.

HTH!

Old Chuck 04-28-2008 10:46 AM

F1 Fan or others,
In regards to the vert having a softer chassic, is there anything that can be easily done to help the vert compete with the hardtop?
I realize that the vert has a weight penalty but in the softer chassic, there must be folks out there who want to remove some of the flexing and others who make parts that might help. Any suggestions for aftermarket ?

F1Fan 04-28-2008 05:11 PM

ORIGINAL: Old Chuck
F1 Fan or others,
In regards to the vert having a softer chassic, is there anything that can be easily done to help the vert compete with the hardtop?
I realize that the vert has a weight penalty but in the softer chassic, there must be folks out there who want to remove some of the flexing and others who make parts that might help. Any suggestions for aftermarket ?
Hi Old Chuck,

AFAIK there is nothing off the shelfat a reasonable price you can reallyuse to get your vert chassis to be as stiff as a coupe. Youcan make some improvement but the real problem is that for any stiffeners to work effectively you need some sort ofvertical component in yourbracing or there is nothing for the additional sticks to work against. Nothing flat can give you the big increase intosional stiffness you gaveup by going topless. I wouldinstall thechassis stiffeners I list below and not over do it in termsof spring rate or damper stiffness andjusttake great joy in driving a vert as it was meant to be enjoyed. Top down driving at a comfy cruising speed seeing and being seen in a great funpiece ofclassic American automobile history.

The best thing you can do with off the shelf partsfor a vert is to install an Agent 47 strut tie bar which is theonly decent strut tie baron the market. After that you can install the BMR H.D. rectangle tubed brace but realize that there is somemodification needed to get it to fit and still work with the stock rear braces on the verts. Personally I would just install theHD BMR braceand then have the speed shopreplace the stock stamped braces with rectangular tubing to act as braces. Then all you have to do is minor fabrication work to th BMR braceadding fasteners to both the new fabricated stock style cross braces and the BMR brace so you can use the new rear brace in the same fashion as the stock stampedvert braces and still have them be a bolt in-out affair as stock. Make sure you try togive upas littleground clearance as possiblewhere you attach the new fab'dX-brace to the BMR brace.

HTH!

Old Chuck 04-29-2008 03:47 PM

FI Fan,
Thanks for the info on the vert. What you suggest makes good sense. I think that is my only choice for the chassis on the vert. I would imagine if I did what you suggest and improved my driving skills seriously over the next several years then I would be able to push the car at maybe 7/10 of what a HT could do. Given that few ever drive 7/10 of the cars capacitythat would meet my needs. Getting into the upper ranges of a cars ability is something few can do without a bunch of practice. Have spent time in the seat of a Boxster S (987), it is fairly stiff for a convertible and just trying to understand the limits of the Mustang convertible. Thanks for all the help.
Chuck