Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Mercedes SL suspension

Old 05-06-2008, 10:39 PM
slySTANGguy
2nd Gear Member

Default Mercedes SL suspension

I want my car to handle like the mercedes SL series. I was driving a newer one around all week and what really makes it soo much greater then any car i have ever driven is the active suspension. When i turn hard, it stiffens the outside suspension so that the car remains parallel to the ground. Handles like a dream....

Is there any after market suspension for our mustangs so i can handle like that?
Old 05-06-2008, 11:17 PM
mdg
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Mercedes SL suspension

Doubt it. That's what you get for the price of a Mercedes compared to a Mustang.
Old 05-12-2008, 01:47 AM
alloutt
4th Gear Member

coilovers would be a start if you do your work, you get get anywhere
Old 05-12-2008, 07:25 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: slySTANGguy

I want my car to handle like the mercedes SL series. I was driving a newer one around all week and what really makes it soo much greater then any car i have ever driven is the active suspension. When i turn hard, it stiffens the outside suspension so that the car remains parallel to the ground. Handles like a dream....

Is there any after market suspension for our mustangs so i can handle like that?
Best right now is careful selection of springs, sta-bars, shocks/struts, etc., but that won't have the ability to be soft most of the time and firm only when you need it to be firm.

I wouldn't hold my breath for anything truly active. If anybody ever did work up an active suspension for the S197 it would make the Griggs packages look dirt cheap by comparison. Active suspension requires a powered means of adjusting something, which needs some kind of controller with fully developed software,sensors, and a feedback loop . . .

I'm a little curious about how the SL feels as you push it up near the limit, in particular the kind(s) of feedback you get and what handling characteristics it's trying to change.

Norm
Old 05-12-2008, 09:03 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

^ interesting question, Norm. I would think it would act a little funny at times, depending on road conditions and such during a turn.

Call me old school, but would NOT want such a suspension. This falls into the "nanny" catagory for me. I don't want a car that "changes" as I drive it. I don't want it to "sense" a panic-stop, or automatically "adjust" the volume of the stereo to counter road noise. Or "remember" what position I like the seat, mirrors and station I listen to. While I am on my little soapbox here, I don't like anti-lock brakes either.

Damn..... I feel better now [sm=wootwoot.gif]

Sorry, kinkda went off on a mini-hijack there[sm=imsorry.gif], as you were

Jazzer
Old 05-12-2008, 12:20 PM
jayel579
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: slySTANGguy

I want my car to handle like the mercedes SL series. I was driving a newer one around all week and what really makes it soo much greater then any car i have ever driven is the active suspension.
Then go buy one.