Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Ride quality of mustangs???

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 10:08 AM
rustic2169
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Ride quality of mustangs???

I tell ya, I just love the way these cars drive. I've since done a makeover of my rear suspension with all the BMR parts which makes it even stiffer now and I have the annoying squeeky sounds coming from the poly bushings but its worth it to me IMO. My wife thought it was so annoying to ride in, but she fails to understand the importance of it all. I took an on ramp to the interstate at about 60 and she was impressed...she said "Man, if this was my Nissan, it would have felt like we were going to roll over." It's definately all just part of having a muscle car. I mean the suspension could be worse, but there is some softeness to it, if you think about it...GT doesstand forGrand Touring so they aren't completely straight line drivers but they are geared towards that more so than Grand Touring.
Old 05-08-2008, 12:13 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rustic2169

<snip> I mean the suspension could be worse, but there is some softeness to it, if you think about it...GT doesstand forGrand Touring so they aren't completely straight line drivers but they are geared towards that more so than Grand Touring.
It could easily have been worse - just taking the easy way out and carrying over any version ofthe Fox/SN95 triangulated 4-link rearwould have fit that description quite nicely. What's back there now is arguably the best of the simple stick axle suspensions, at least in terms of general description.

I find it interesting that several years ago (as in, pre-2005, and going back at least as far as mid-2002 that I can verify) the merits of the 3-link rear suspension and high front caster specsfor road course running and autocrossing were being discussed on another forum, mainly as individuals reworked their Fox/SN95 Mustangs for better cornering performance. Whether any S197 influence came out of any of that I'll probably never know, and will probably always wonder.

Norm
(chassis/suspension/corner carving fanatic)
Old 05-08-2008, 12:49 PM
richmod
4th Gear Member

The TSB repair improves the thunking DRAMATICALLY. I feel bad for thise who just put up with it assuming it's normal. Huge difference with the new strut mounts. Doesn't sound like something is loose anymore.
Old 05-08-2008, 01:02 PM
jdmcbride
4th Gear Member

I currently do not have any clunking noises from the front of the car and I think that the car rides extremely well (last car was a 4-door Honda Accord).
Old 05-08-2008, 05:17 PM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MC Stang
I don’t know about you guys but I am not impressed with the ride quality of the ’06 Mustang I have. The car’s front end clunks when going over imperfections in the road. Is this normal? I’m wondering if it is the 28,000 miles on the front struts or the BFG KDWS tires that are wearing out. I can’t imagine that the springs are tired. I just think the ride is a little harsh or rough for an OEM setup considering that the handling isn’t that great ( it’s good not great).

Just wondering what you guys think and what your impressions are compared to other vehicles you have driven in the past.
Hi MC Stang,

No, suspension clunking noises arenot normal on this or any other stock suspended car. If you just want to fix the clunking do as others here have suggested and replace the strut bearing mounts. There isan improved part number for theS197GT's but you can also replace the stock S197GT's strut mounts with GT500 mounts and get improved steeringresponse withno increase inNVH.

If you really want to solve Mustang's your ride problem you need to replace the srtuts and rear dampers with a set of Tokico adjustable D-Spec dampers. There are two advanatages toinstalling the D-Specs for you.You can massivelyimprove your car's handling andride at the same time and you can adjust the dampening rate to match anysport springs you install later. You can also adjust yourD-specs to suit your driving conditions, mountain driving for fun? Turn them up. Long distance cruising? Turn them down for pure ridecomfort in less than 5 minutes.Norm has it right, the stock dampers are completely to blame for the poor ride and marginal control at speed. The stock dampers are much too stiff in comprssion (bump) and almost totally usless in rebound so you skitter and skip over bumpy surfaces and at high speeds have no control of the car in transitions.

Go check you tire wear pattern. Are the centers wearing out mor than the edges? Check you tire pressures as they have more to do with ride than anything other than dampers.

HTH!
Old 05-08-2008, 05:44 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

I'm sure the suggestions concerning the upper strut mounts and dampers are on the right track. I have an '06 GT 'vert and I'm pretty happy with the ride. I don't have any clunk sounds.
The 18" KDWS tires that came on my car were OK, but when they wore out, I went to Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires, same size as OE. These tires were a real improvment in ride quality. Work well on dry roads, in the rain and even over this past winter.
Old 05-08-2008, 05:48 PM
aode08
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MC Stang

I don’t know about you guys but I am not impressed with the ride quality of the ’06 Mustang I have. The car’s front end clunks when going over imperfections in the road. Is this normal? I’m wondering if it is the 28,000 miles on the front struts or the BFG KDWS tires that are wearing out. I can’t imagine that the springs are tired. I just think the ride is a little harsh or rough for an OEM setup considering that the handling isn’t that great ( it’s good not great).

Just wondering what you guys think and what your impressions are compared to other vehicles you have driven in the past.
this is what they all say Time for new tires buddy, average tires are worn out in 20,000 miles even though warrantied a while.
Old 05-08-2008, 10:07 PM
MC Stang
1st Gear Member

Thanks for all the feedback everyone, this is great. I set-up an appointment next Tuesday at the local Ford dealership to replace the strut mounts - I like the suggestion to get the Shelby mounts, though I doubt that the dealer will like that idea. ShouldI run it past the service manager?

The Tokico D-specs sound great and I will definitely go down that route when the struts/shocks start to go.

Regarding tiresI have been looking at the Yokohama's S.drive's and the S.4's along with the newer BFG Super Sports. Thanks for the tip on the Michelin's but from whatI remember they were very pricey, $200+ each, but I guess you get what you pay for.
Old 05-09-2008, 01:22 AM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

do you encounter a lot of speed bumps on a daily basis?
I'm wondering if that could be creating the noises you hear. After that many miles could the stock struts and springs get worn out prematurely?
I'm not getting the "clunking" but there's certainly more front end noise than you'd expect.
I think I'm going to have to set up a suspension meet, where we can ride in each person's car to feel and hear the set ups.

Anyone interested?
Old 05-09-2008, 02:24 AM
desslok40
3rd Gear Member

If you don't like stock don't do any traction mods, alot noisier, my UCA/LCAs definately increased noise level, of course the MACs drone
out everything, performance mods make you sacrifice things like noise
level, comfort, and $$$$ lol

Bottom line the stock stuff is adequate but if you want to get serious
about road racing or just to get great ride quality replace everything !!! lol Remember you are getting a V8 car for under 30K,
something had to give, rather it be suspension than the engine, not so easily upgradeable