Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Yet another "how do I go about lowering my car properly" post

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 06:07 PM
trigger06
2nd Gear Member

Default Yet another "how do I go about lowering my car properly" post

I'm about to pull the trigger and buy some stuff to lower my car. So far, I've only swapped out the stock LCA's for a pair of steeda adjustable ones. I've done a decent amout of research so far, but there is a TON of information out there. I would appreciate some advice.

Currently, the parts I plan on buying are as follows:

Steeda Ultra-Lite Spring Kit (Dont want to have to worry about bottoming out on every dip/bump)
Tokico D Specs
Steeda Tubular Upper 3rd Link Control Arm (Any need for the adjustable one? I can adjust pinion angle with the LCAs, right?)
Steeda Adjustable Panhard Bar and Brace
Steeda LCA Relocation Brackets

Other than proper installation and alignment, do I need anything else? I have heard mentions of needing to replace the plastic factory mounts, adding camber bolts, and etc.... Can someone explain that to me?

Thanks guys!
Old 05-15-2008, 03:17 PM
trigger06
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Yet another "how do I go about lowering my car properly" post

Anyone?
Old 05-15-2008, 06:36 PM
shooter23
3rd Gear Member

Ok, I have done all of this.

I replaced my mounts with the Steeda Mounts, they are adjustable, and this saves you from needing camber bolts. With the mild drop your going with, i doubt you'll need camber bolts aswell.

There are many people here who have re-used the upper mounts, but being that they are ****ty, they have have problems with "popping" noises...if you dont want to spend the money on the steeda ones, the GT500 mounts would be a good alternative.

I did mine by re-using all the factory bolts, so im sure you'll be fine there.

As for the adjustable or non-adjustable Upper Link...i went adjustable, i found it helped to dial in the settings...but, then again, you dont need it if your going with the adjustable LCA, which you already have. (This ones up to you)

As brackets are a great addition...tricky to get set, but they help in bringing the LCA to parallel with the ground.

Hopes this helps,
Let me know if you need anything else.

Just takes time...are you doing it yourself?

Eric
Old 05-15-2008, 11:29 PM
timothyrw
3rd Gear Member

seriously dude, i have 20+ threads saved on lowering. all the answers are out there.

read F1Fan's first post; then get 'er done.

https://mustangforums.com/m_3402356/tm.htm
Old 05-16-2008, 10:16 AM
trigger06
2nd Gear Member

Shooter,
I don't plan on doing it myself. While I love working on my car, I find that when I do it myself, I usually end up having to go to the shop to fix something I screwed up. So I'll let someone more qualified take care of it. Thanks for your input!

Tim,
I read that. I read a ton of threads on lowering. I was just posting to make sure that I got it all. I don't want to end up having to order more stuff because I missed something.
Old 05-16-2008, 06:39 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

As the Steeda LCA relocation brackets require careful positioning and welding I had mine done by the alignment shop after doing the rest of the installs. That way they should be set up properly (I hope). Having them do it also ended up costing less as it had to go on the alignment rack anyway.
Old 05-17-2008, 08:21 AM
vf96
2nd Gear Member

I'm in the proccess of replacing ALL of my OEM suspension. To lengthy to list right now,several projects left to do. TONS of reserch have been done. I did lowering springs...Steeda UlrtaLites Shocks & Struts. When you do your Springs & Struts I HIGHLY reccommend getting the Steeda Heavy Duty upper Strut mounts. The OEM Mounts look cheap & flimsy compared to the Steeda Heavy Duty Mounts. You will not regret getting them!!