Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

ULTRA high perf. tires and SLA upgrade (reviews)

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 08:27 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Default ULTRA high perf. tires and SLA upgrade (reviews)

I am coming near the end of my PS2's, and ALWAYS looking to upgrade to "stickyer" tires. I am very pleased with the PS2's, but wonder what others recommend. I have run Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3's and were not nearly as happy with them as the PS2. During my search, I am finding proper (huhummm "size" ) to be an issue in finding new tires as well.

Currently Running 275/35/18"s x 9"s (f) and 295/30/18"s x 10.5" (r) on a complete Griggs GR-40 suspension system on my '02 Saleen. I am looking to go at least 315's out back, as I can get my rims widened and probably go 325's without a problem. I am not concerned with replacement cost NOR am I concerned with how long they will last. This is really a weekend driver car, as I have a work truck for a DD. I do drive in the rain, although VERY conservatively,so needs to have at least the most moderate traction when wet.

So if you will please consider the following:

A. Ultimate summer traction is 100% highest priority
B. Needs to be D.O.T. rated for street
C. Cost is not an issue (see "D" for clarification)
D. If you recommend a $10,000 tire...... I guessI mayre-think this [8D]

Thanks

Jazzer
Old 05-21-2008, 09:33 AM
Margarita Girl
Is the tide gonna reach my chair?

Default RE: Need ULTRA high performance tire recommendations

Old 05-21-2008, 10:35 AM
jayel579
2nd Gear Member

What kind of driving are you doing on these tires? Are they for race use or just street use? I am assuming since you have a "Full Griggs GR40" suspension setup you are doing some kind of racing. I don't know what sizes you would be looking for but some good race tires would be a Toyo RA1 or R888 and Hoosier A6 or R6.
Old 05-21-2008, 11:26 AM
SlideWRX
2nd Gear Member

Why not post in the 4.6l section, the Saleen section or the Wheels & Tires section? What does this have to do with 2005+ Mustangs?

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/types/comp.jsp
Check out tire racks listing of DOT competition tires. Lotsa options in the diameters you are running.
Old 05-21-2008, 11:46 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

These will be street tires and for highest level of grip on twisties. I don't street race, and not interested in launching. I am looking for sharp response to steering, and predictable and managable fade when limit of traction is reached, as my car is not the lightest around [&o]. I have not, as of yet, taken it to the track, but will probably spend a day or tworunning around the local track later this year for the experience. I fell in love with cornering waaaaayyyyy back in the daywithmy '72 Vega before hair bands were invented, and haven't looked back since. Ran around in my '85 GT Stang for 20 years, and onto my new toy.For all intents and purposes, thesewill bemeant for the street.

As for sizes, this is whereI am finding my biggest trouble. My car has very near a 2" drop, and clearance is at a premium. Lookingto stay with no higher than 35 series up front and 30 series out back. I have checked the usual suspects, to no luck so far.Nitto, Dunlop, Goodyear Supercars, etc. I have looked at Hoosier, but didn't see street tires, only track (maybe I missed them?)I would like to stay with 265's ~ 275's up front and 295's ~ 315's outback. I canprobably go to 325's or possibly 335's (highly doubtful) if I widenrims.

Hoping you ol' pro's will chime in and give The Jazzer your thoughts. Sam, F1 and Norm (some others to which I am drawing a blank at the moment, sorry) have opinions and thoughts I also respect, so hoping you will chime in here too

Thanks. Jazzer
Old 05-21-2008, 12:02 PM
Shard Phoenix
2nd Gear Member

I agree, toyo TR-1's if your looking for a summer only tire.
Old 05-21-2008, 12:30 PM
Margarita Girl
Is the tide gonna reach my chair?

ORIGINAL: Jazzer The Cat
Hoping you ol' pro's will chime in and give The Jazzer your thoughts. Sam, F1 and Norm (some others to which I am drawing a blank at the moment, sorry) have opinions and thoughts I also respect, so hoping you will chime in here too

Thanks. Jazzer
Should have sent PM's then.
Old 05-21-2008, 01:17 PM
jayel579
2nd Gear Member

Thanks. Jazzer
Strano runs on Hoosier A6's, it is published information. I just don't know what size, I am guessinglike a 285/30-18. He has to run an 18x8.5 rim on his car, stock class rules.

A6 is the autocross tire, R6 is the road race tire
Old 05-21-2008, 02:02 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

ORIGINAL: Margarita Girl

Thanks. Jazzer
Should have sent PM's then.
Thanks Margarita, no offense intended, but seems like I unintentionally let some slip your way [&o]

The Jazzer sends his appologies to you

Thank you as well, slide. That link is a nice collection of just the kind of think I was looking to find, just didn't know where to look.

Jazzer
Old 05-21-2008, 02:15 PM
zkiller
4th Gear Member

this isnt a s197 why post this here?

Quick Reply: ULTRA high perf. tires and SLA upgrade (reviews)