Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Tire/Wheel Combo Weight

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 03:41 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Tire/Wheel Combo Weight

ORIGINAL: 157db

ORIGINAL: sawyer

The stock bullitts 18" with tires were 52 lbs.
Inflate them with Helium and they will weigh less.
43 Lbs. is what a stock 17x8" Bullitt with the OEM
Pirelli P Zero NERO weighs with just O2 in it.

[IMG]local://upfiles/69445/C6C2F579F205465E8C66B3D1DC777AB9.jpg[/IMG]
When I bought my new-take-off machinefaced wheels off of ebay, they came in two boxes, each with two wheels and tires inside. The shipping company marked each of the boxes as 83 lbs, so I figure the machined face wheels with pirellis weigh about 41.5 lbs on each corner (give or take).
Old 06-06-2008, 08:48 PM
steelcomp
2nd Gear Member

My polished 18" Bullits weigh exactly 50# with 1/2 worn Nitto 255/45's on them. In comparison, my new wheels and tires weigh 43 lbs, and that's going to a 275/40 tire on an inch wider rim. The 7lbs per wheel is definitely noticeable in the seat of the pants.
Old 06-07-2008, 11:07 AM
steelcomp
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Jazzer The Cat

I don't get it? [8D]

One thing about all this is the additional weight is not ALL at the furthest most outter edge of tire. It is'distributed' throughout the wheel. How much is actually in the hub nearest the center of wheel?This will reduce the effect of the rotating mass argument. So I think some of the calculations of how much effect the weight has is specious (I always wanted to use that word in a sentence ).

Just my $.02 and may have missed something so please don't chop a Jazzer's head off if so

Jazzer The Scientist

[IMG]local://upfiles/39838/8584A0F9A8244F75974D6610AB4F9E76.jpg[/IMG]
With rotational mass, simply put, the further you are from the center, the more material there is trying to travel a greater distance in the same amount of time as the material closest to the center, and that takes more energy. The more weight you can remove from the furthest distance out from the center of the rotating mass will yield the most change. The biggest change you can make is lighter tires, given everything stays the same AFA rim diameter and width. If you look at tire specs, there is a big difference in tire weights between mfgrs. Pure racing tires are even lighter yet (as per Norm's comment about racing tires being shaved) and the biggest reason you can't run them on the street...they're just too thin.Next is the wheel. Depending on the wheel's construction, (one of the reasons to really research wheels before buying) there can be a large reduction in the weight of the outer rim itself, which is going to be most beneficial in performance. The weight closest to the center of the wheel has the least effect on the rotational factors of performance. Static weight is just that, and only benefits the reaction time of the suspension to vertical movements, and to lower the overall weight of the car, but that's insignificant when we're only talking 20-30lbs net. Reduction of overall rotational mass as unsprung weight helps, but if you can focus on getting the lightest possible outer weight, that will be the best scenario.
Old 06-07-2008, 08:04 PM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

Wow - never thought I'd attend math class on MSF.

Here's my seat of the pants: I have a set of 17X9s that weigh 18lbs apiece. I was expecting to feel something...some small improvement in feel or butt dyno. Nope. I agree with what Norm said earlier in the thread - it would take a very sensitive driver to feel any improvement in acceleration, all other things equal.
Old 06-08-2008, 12:10 PM
steelcomp
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Argonaut

Wow - never thought I'd attend math class on MSF.

Here's my seat of the pants: I have a set of 17X9s that weigh 18lbs apiece. I was expecting to feel something...some small improvement in feel or butt dyno. Nope. I agree with what Norm said earlier in the thread - it would take a very sensitive driver to feel any improvement in acceleration, all other things equal.
What tires are you running? What was the previous set up?
Old 06-08-2008, 09:49 PM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: steelcomp
ORIGINAL: Argonaut
Wow - never thought Id attend math class on MSF.
Heres my seat of the pants: I have a set of 17X9s that weigh 18lbs apiece. I was expecting to feel something...some small improvement in feel or butt dyno. Nope. I agree with what Norm said earlier in the thread - it would take a very sensitive driver to feel any improvement in acceleration, all other things equal.
What tires are you running? What was the previous set up?
My tires on the 17s are Falken Azenis 615.My 18s are American Muscle bullitswith Sumitomos.

Don't get me wrong - the carhandles WAY better with the 17s and Azenis. Its the acceleration where I don't really notice a difference, like in day to day driving.
Old 06-08-2008, 10:40 PM
steelcomp
2nd Gear Member

Here's my new wheels and tires. I had actually started a thread with this since we were talking about tires and handling, but it mysteriously disappeared.
The rimsare Volk RE30's (18 x 9.5 x 52mm offset) with 275/40 Michelin PS2's. The rims are 16lbs ea., and the tires are 27lbs. I had the factory 18 x 8.5 polished Bullits with 255/45 Nittos and I could definately tell the difference. The PS2's are awsome.
(Thanks Margarita Girl for the pic effects )
Old 06-09-2008, 05:42 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

steelcomp

Any signs of rubbing on full lock?

Is the car lowered?

Thanks.
Old 06-11-2008, 08:21 PM
steelcomp
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Sleeper_08

steelcomp

Any signs of rubbing on full lock?

Is the car lowered?

Thanks.
No rubbing anywhere, even during full lock bumps, and yes, it's lowered. Front fender lip is 27" from ground.