Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Shelby GT springs

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 10:41 PM
07CS

Default Shelby GT springs

I just bought a set of ford racing springs for my 07 CS. I know how to swap the springs in the back but I am a little nervous about the fronts. Has anyone done the fronts before and can someone give me some advice as to how to unload the springs without killing myself? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 06-08-2008, 10:50 PM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Shelby GT springs

Cant go wrong with a TacoBill How to!
https://mustangforums.com/m_3070963/tm.htm
Old 06-09-2008, 02:31 AM
2007GT/CS
3rd Gear Member

Get a set of good qualityspring compressors. They are cheap and easy to use.

Think about changing out those struts/shocks while you are in there
Old 06-09-2008, 08:23 AM
07CS

thanks for the input guys. Does anyone know if I need to adjust pinion angles or anything or should i just try it and see if i need anything? Once again thanks for the input
Old 06-09-2008, 12:27 PM
Vapour Trails
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 07CS

thanks for the input guys. Does anyone know if I need to adjust pinion angles or anything or should i just try it and see if i need anything? Once again thanks for the input
You won't be able to adjust the pinion angle until you have an adjustable UCA or LCAs. Sometimes the pinion angle is still in acceptable range after lowering (with minimal drop springs). To do a lowering properly, youend up needing much more than springs (d-specs, adjustable panhard, adjustable UCA).
Old 06-09-2008, 04:50 PM
GotMunchies?
1st Gear Member

Make sure you get a front end alignment after reinstalling the front struts. Look around the handling forum for recommended front end spec's.

Also, are you sure you don't want to throw some new damper's / struts in there while you're under the car?
Old 06-09-2008, 10:24 PM
ybnormal
2nd Gear Member

Welcome to the mod world. Springs are the easy part. read the suspension threads and you will learn a lot. The suspension guru's will be coming in and talking with you !
Like the guys on here will tell you. if you plan what you want or what you are not getting you will not have to keep running back getting alignments. I had put on the frp springs and they lowered the car 1.5 to 2 inches. It did throw the rear out (meaning had to get an adjustable panhard bar) the rear end shifts when you lower it sometimes towards the drivers side. you will learn all abut this. Good luck and your pinion angle well........ read enjoy
Old 06-10-2008, 11:00 AM
07CS

thanks for the information everyone. I'm new to all this stuff and am kinda going into this blind. Once again thanks
Old 06-10-2008, 07:29 PM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 07CS

I just bought a set of ford racing springs for my 07 CS. I know how to swap the springs in the back but I am a little nervous about the fronts. Has anyone done the fronts before and can someone give me some advice as to how to unload the springs without killing myself? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Hi 07CS,

If you have not done this before get some local experienced S197 Mustang help. There are lots of people who are willing to come help you or have you come to them for help, usually for the cost of case or two oftheir favorite beer. At least that's the going ratehereat my garage in SoCal. You will only needcommon mechanics hand tools in metric and SAE plus3/8" and 1/2"torque wrenches. Do not start the job without known goodtorque wrenches or you will find yourself in trouble before you even start! Shop air helps a lotto speed things up but is not required (but it really helps!). The only other item you will need is a spring compressor which you can borrow from AutoZone if you have that chain near you or go to Sears and buy one for$25-$30. The way you are doing your suspension you are going to be using the spring compressor more than once so you might just as well buy one.

I suggest that you replace the struts and rear dampers when you do thespring install. This saves youthe 2 or 3 hours it will take you to installthe struts and rear dampers the second time you have the thing all apart and it also saves wear and tear on your fasteners which will wear out (trust me this is true, Fordapparently used one time use fasteners during assembly)andwill fail to achieve full factory spec torque after one or two uses. While you are at it you also might just as well install a pair of GT500 strut mounts and save a lot of headaches and noises down the road. The'07+ carshad an improved strut mount phased into production but unless you know that you have at least a -C part number in advance you have a pretty high likelihood of getting the knocking, clicking and popping common to these plastic strut mounts when used with a sport spring upgrade. You also need a set of camber bolts, Eibach or SPC are the only ones to buy, don't buy the cheap universal fit versions with cheap weak bolts! Use known good sources for these critical parts!

Knowing this aren't you sure you wouldn't rathergo on-line and order a set of GT500 strut mounts and D-Spec or Koni Sport dampers and Eibach camber boltsbefore investing the time it takes to replace the springs? If you don't do all of these parts together you stand a very high likelihood of needing to redo the whole thing anyway. You might just as well go it right from the get go and avoid a lot of potential problems when the car is back on the ground. Please believe me when I tell you this and save a lot of trouble and labor not to mention a second alignment job at $65-$80.

HTH!
Old 06-10-2008, 07:43 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

07CS

There is a wealth of information in this forum on upgrading your handling. Here is a good link explaining LCS etc. http://www.cherod.com/mustang/HowTo/LCA%20_adj.htm

Here is a link that discusses the one time use fasteners https://mustangforums.com/m_3886399/...tm.htm#4347979

Here are links to useful diagrams, including torque specs, of the front and rear suspensions - note that they are for a 2005 so some fastener PNs have changed

http://www.2005stang.com/gallery/alb...ded%20view.pdf

http://www.2005stang.com/gallery/alb...suspention.pdf

As mentioned above you can take the front struts apart yourself with a strut spring compressor. The one we bought was from NAPA and cost about $70. Just be careful when you are doing it and keep the threads well lubricated.

A Chilton or Haynes shop manual is also a good investment.

Quick Reply: Shelby GT springs