MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   S197 Handling Section (https://mustangforums.com/forum/s197-handling-section-121/)
-   -   GT500 LCA's (https://mustangforums.com/forum/s197-handling-section/450265-gt500-lcas.html)

xxDerek 06-04-2008 01:33 PM

GT500 LCA's

Hey guys,
I recently did the pro-kit/d-specs, now that it is lowered I obviously need to get the LCA's back up to parallel and wanted to upgrade. I have an opportunity to pick up a pair of GT500 LCA's for 50 bucks, but they're 10k miles used. I don't think used LCA's would be a big problem right? As long as there is no stress cracks or anything.... Also, they will work with for example BMR's or anyone for that matters relocation bracket right? Thanks guys...

Lito 06-04-2008 02:33 PM

RE: GT500 LCA's

I got those LCA for 80 on a sale, they look the same but in a different color, was told that the difference was in the rubber, many people here says that the part number in the rubber pieces is the same as in the GT's. I didn't felt any differences between the stock GT's and those.

So maybe it would be wiser to save those 50$ for some real LCA's. I don't know.

mac10chap 06-04-2008 02:44 PM

RE: GT500 LCA's

i picked up the BMR non adjustables for about $130. Even those look about 10x stronger than the GT500 LCA's. I would get you a set of those along with the BMR relocation brackets...i've seen a few sites offering the two in a combo so that can save a few more $$$'s too

BUT....if you dont plan on adding a whole bunch more power, then yes, the GT500 LCA's will be sufficient

xxDerek 06-04-2008 04:47 PM

RE: GT500 LCA’s

Well I definitely plan on going NOS or blown some day... so would they not be good enough then? Also, does anyone know if that is true about the rubber being exactly the same? $50 is a good deal, but I don’t wanna waste money..

Sleeper_08 06-04-2008 06:48 PM

I don't know if it got lost in one of the crashes and can't find it on search but there is a recent thread in which F1Fan discusses in detail the pros and cons, with pictures, of the GT500 LCAs. Hopefully you can find it.

Norm Peterson 06-04-2008 07:01 PM

https://mustangforums.com/m_5111121/tm.htm

Norm

xxDerek 06-04-2008 07:11 PM

Yea, I just read through that entire thread, thanks Norm... So here is another question... would it be a bad idea to get 10k miles used GT500 LCA's? I would think not... and also is it true you need to get an alignment when doing LCA's/Relo Brackets/ Adj. UCA/Mount/Adj. Panhard???

xxDerek 06-05-2008 12:09 AM

bump for question ^^^^

Norm Peterson 06-05-2008 06:03 AM

Well, they did have to pass some sort of standard for durability under reasonably predictable usage, so the 10k miles isn't really an issue. But I would want to inspect them for dents, cracks, bushing condition, etc. You wouldn't want to get one that somebody used for a jacking or tie-down point.

As far as alignment goes, relo bracket installation does have the potential for throwing thrust angle off (holes not drilled equally, brackets not installed in identical orientations, etc.). But the simplest solution there is adjustable-length LCAs. Nothing that you attempt up front can correct a bad thrust angle - the car just dog-tracks a bit.

LCAs should be close enough in length that they won't create a problem. The UCA pieces affect pinion angle, not wheel alignment, so nothing there either. The PHB primarily affects axle lateral location, but adjusting it can affect thrust angle a tiny amount if the LCAs are not parallel in plan view. In the S197 though, this effect probably isn't enough to matter (I still haven't measured this stuff up to see for myself).

this site likes apostrophes so much this morning that it's posting two to five or six of them when I only type one . . .

Norm

Jazzer The Cat 06-05-2008 07:31 AM

ORIGINAL: Norm Peterson
"....this site likes apostrophes so much this morning that it's posting two to five or six of them when I only type one . . .

Norm
I was wonderin' what was up wit dat [8D]

Jazzer