Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

SCCA Solo National Tour Results: Ayer MA

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 07:27 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Default SCCA Solo National Tour Results: Ayer MA

http://scca.com/popup/raceresult.asp...9&file=293

We won F-stock and flat out ran every other stock category but for Super Stock (no way I can catch an Elise). Haven't seen indexed results, but expect to be in the top 3 anyway. Not bad for a Shelby GT with limited mods (only what's allowed in stock category) like sway bar links, brackets and an alignment and tires. FWIW, all things every stock category car can run as well. Other drivers in the class include former National and ProSolo Champions.

For those that haven't figured it out, I'm serious about my autocrossing and my business. I see them as going hand in hand. Autox is all about suspension tuning and driving. It's not about HP, and stock classes in particular are basically spec classes. What you get there isn't down to massive car differences (particularly when there are other Mustangs around).

Old 06-10-2008, 08:42 PM
zero2sixd
1st Gear Member

Default RE: SCCA Solo National Tour Results: Ayer MA

Impressive result!

The Shelby GT seems to be, without a doubt, the clear choice among Mustangs for FS. I've been toying with the idea of taking my Mustang GT into STU next year because it suits what I want to do with the car (brakes/ducting, wider wheels/tires, CAI and tune, etc.) but I haven't seen anybody else attempt this. Just curious on your thoughts as to the viability of taking this approach.

In essence it would be taking all the good parts of the Shelby GT (lower CG, stiffer springs/sway bars, CAI) and fixing some of the suspension geometry issues (less than optimal front and rear LCA angles, rear axle location issues, marginal progressive rate springs) then, oh ya, running it on 275 width street tires with treadwear greater than 140 (ouch). The AWD Subies and Mitsus are limited to 245 width street tires, so that will help, but regardless they seem to dominate this class.

Old 06-10-2008, 09:29 PM
Vapour Trails
3rd Gear Member

Great job. Teach me.
Old 06-11-2008, 12:53 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

I see more posts are going AWOL.... what's up? Missing at least two here.
Old 06-11-2008, 11:04 PM
Vapour Trails
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Sam Strano

I see more posts are going AWOL.... what's up? Missing at least two here.
Yes, this site is screwed lately.

My 4.10s & autocross thread disappeared.
Old 06-12-2008, 11:19 AM
SlideWRX
2nd Gear Member

koni/tokicos are allowed as well, correct?

edit: Just as impressive is that the 2nd & 3rd place drivers were quite competitive with times. 3 different drivers, two different Mustangs.
Old 06-12-2008, 11:48 AM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Shocks are allowed to be changed in all SCCA classes. Every class beyond Stock in fact allows springs or even certain types of coil-overs (rears can't be in ST, SP).

We are running Koni's, switching from D-specs last year.
Old 06-16-2008, 08:45 AM
FrancisC

Wow, awesome results I'm coming to you when it's time to do my suspension.

What kind of wheels/tires are you running?
Old 06-16-2008, 10:19 AM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

The tires are Hoosier A6's, which are specific DOT autocross tires. Basically slicks that are technically street legal, though you wouldn't want to use them on the street.

The wheels... we have two sets and both are stock size. 18x8.5", one set is a 47mm offset, the other is 45 (50 is stock). We have to use stock size and the offset can't vary more than 1/4" from stock. So no huge wheels. At that event we had a set of Kazera KZ-A's on which are about 2 pounds less per wheel than stock. But for other big events we tend to use our Volk Racing RE-30 Forged wheels, which are about 9 pounds less than the stockers.
Old 06-16-2008, 02:16 PM
jayel579
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Vapour Trails

Great job. Teach me.
http://www.evoschool.com/

Next time there is an event in the Central PA region sign up for it, Sam might be instructing. He was supposed to be at the one in May that Argonaut and I were at but unfortunatly Sam had some family obligations to attend to.

Quick Reply: SCCA Solo National Tour Results: Ayer MA