Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

staying put in the seat-cg lock question

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 08:19 AM
doc stang
1st Gear Member

Default staying put in the seat-cg lock question

o.k., question for those who hace used the cg-lock product for tightening up their seatbelt to better stay put in the seat.:

which is better, for doing a road course track day event:
1 the CG-lock, which would seem to do a great job of keeping the lap portion of the stock seatbelt tight, but do little to nothing to keep the shoulder strap tight. . .

or

2 the old school trick of sliding the seat back, tightening the belt, "snapping" the belt sharply to engage the locking mechanism, and THEN sliding the seat forward again.
seems like this would better keep you in place in the turns since the lap AND shoulder portion are tight.

additional thoughts:
i know the passenger seat has to be equally equipped with the same restraint devices as would be needed for the driver. so that would mean TWO cg locks (not a big deal).

however, i have a power driver seat, (making it easier for me to do #2 to good effect),
and a nonpower passenger seat (lighter and cheaper)(but makes the old school way less effective).

they (NASA, instructor, etc) wouldnt say "hey, you cant do option #2, since he doesnt have a power seat with which to cinch up his shoulder belt", would they?

thanks,
doco.k., question for those who hace used the cg-lock product for tightening up their seatbelt to better stay put in the seat.:

1 the CG-lock, which would seem to do a great job of keeping the lap portion of the stock seatbelt tight, but do little to nothing to keep the shoulder strap tight. . .

or

2 o.k., question for those who hace used the cg-lock product for tightening up their seatbelt to better stay put in the seat.:

or

2 the old school trick of sliding the seat back, tightening the belt, "snapping" the belt sharply to engage the locking mechanism, and THEN sliding the seat forward again.
seems like this would better keep you in place in the turns since the lap AND shoulder portion are tight.

additional thoughts:
i know the passenger seat has to be equally equipped with the same restraint devices as would be needed for the driver. so that would mean TWO cg locks (not a big deal).

however, i have a power driver seat, (making it easier for me to do #2 to good effect),
and a nonpower passenger seat (lighter and cheaper)(but makes the old school way less effective).

they (NASA, instructor, etc) wouldnt say "hey, you cant do option #2, since he doesnt have a power seat with which to cinch up his shoulder belt", would they?

thanks,
docwould better keep you in place in the turns since the lap AND shoulder portion are tight.

additional thoughts:

thanks,
doc
Old 06-18-2008, 08:51 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Default RE: staying put in the seat-cg lock question

Got some serious double vision going on here [sm=smiley29.gif]

I wouldn't think the 'snapping' the belt and moving seat would be acceptable as if you slam back in the seat, you may release the locking mechanism and no longer be held tight.

Contact the organization and ask what street cars need to do in this situation.

Jaz
Old 06-18-2008, 09:57 AM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

A Cg-lock works well to hold the lap-belt tight. However the it also rubs the center console and scracthes the crap out of it (ask me how I know). And it's a little hard on the belt itself since it pinches it between a plate and a knurled bar.

That said, you won't find something that works as well for as little money, and it's way better than twisting the belt. But as with most things that are less expensive you have your pitfalls. See above.
Old 06-18-2008, 02:05 PM
Philostang
3rd Gear Member

I haven't had the problem that Sam spoke of, and I actually keep the bottom part of the CG-lock on every day (I was worried that taking it on and off all the time would eventually strip the threads...). Once the belt is in place it doesn't come into contact with the center console (that I can tell), but you do have to be careful when swinging the belt into place as it can scratch up everything it may hit. I am also concerned with the extra wear from the pinch Sam spoke of, so I don't use that part everyday.

Jazzer's suspicion also came to my mind, so that never appealed to me. But then again, this is free to test, so you can just try it out and see if it holds to your liking. My guess is that the mechanism will release as Jazzer says, and you'll be on the market for a CG-lock soon.

I have to also say that I LOVE my CG-Lock. You aren't fighting to stay in the seat while taking a corner, you just drive...a lovely thing.

Best,
-j
Old 06-18-2008, 02:17 PM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

I have a CG lock and have alsoused the "old School" method. The CG lock works really well but I have a problem that many rookies have on the track, exagerating the movement of my upper body - like leaning into turns. So, on a track I used the "old school" approach. On an AX course I have tried both but much prefer the CG Lock.

I don't know about the NASA HPDEs but the last HPDE I went to (non-NASA) they could care less about having the same thing on both passenger and driver seats (i.e no need for two locks) nor about using or not using the "old school" method on the passenger side.
Old 06-18-2008, 04:24 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

This information is very timely. I was thinking about getting the CG Lock before my next track day (Mosport GP circuit).

My concern was that the lap portion rides up and it sounds like the CG Lock should solve that.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:07 PM
Import_Slaya
2nd Gear Member

I have one and used it for some autocross, then stopped using it. The old-school seatbelt trick works much better. The problem with the CG lock is that as others have mentioned, your upper body still slides around. With the old-school method, the key is *really* jamming yourself in there tight. It takes some playing around to find the right spot to start your seat.

For me (~6'1"), I start with it about an inch forward of being all the way back, give a quick snap to lock the belt, then push the seat forward. By the time I am in my ideal driving position, I am really getting squeezed into the seat. It's actually a little uncomfortable, but once your session starts you forget all about it. If you do it right, you won't move around at all, although after some full weekends my hips are a little tender.
Old 06-19-2008, 11:24 AM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

You know... you can buy harnesses for very little money. I run a real 3" lap belt to hold me in. I don't weat the shoulder belts because I like to be able to move. And it's called seat of the pants feel, not back of the shoulder feel.

Though if I get my seating position wrong I do move around too much to have good leverage. But I now prefer to not wear shoulder belts, and for track days you can't mount them correctly without a rollbar (and still wouldn't have thesub belt).
Old 06-19-2008, 05:34 PM
jayel579
2nd Gear Member

I bought the CG-lock as kind of a bridge until I buy and install a lap harness. I have autocrossed in cars with full 6 point harness setups on race seats. They do hold you in very nice and CG-lock does work very nice for what it is intended. The CG-lock will work great as you start out with track days. If you are going to track your car often your best bet would be to eventually install a harness bar with a 5-6 point harness on a fixed back race seat.

Don't cut short your spending for your own safety.

Old 06-19-2008, 06:13 PM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

#1..............check your NASA CCR's. Race harnesses are not allowed in HPDE unless installed with the appropriate race seat to go with it.

#2..........without a proper rollbar to attach them to, harnesses in a street car are a BAD IDEA.

We lost a NASA member at Willow Springs recently that had a Scroth harness and race seat, but no rollbar. One could speculate as to whether a rollbar would have prevented the final outcome - but you get my point. What we do is dangerous. Do it right.

Quick Reply: staying put in the seat-cg lock question