Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Steeda Heavy Duty Front Upper Strut Mounts

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 05:37 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Default Steeda Heavy Duty Front Upper Strut Mounts

I have the Steeda Heavy Duty Front Upper Strut Mounts (555-8120) and was wondering if it is possible to take advantage of the adjustability when at the track.

They are presently set to 3/4 degree negative camber as the car is a daily driver.

Is it possible at the track to loosen the bolts off and then move them to increase the negative camber to whatever the maximiume is it will give. Then once the track day is overmove them back to 3/4 degree negative. If it is possible how doI know both sides move to the same camber angle.
Old 06-26-2008, 09:33 PM
sd07gt
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Steeda Heavy Duty Front Upper Strut Mounts

They have pointer indicators at the open hole in the front of the strut tower, if your car is already at 3/4 negative ....you can take a sharpie and make a dot on the strut tower ...then have it aligned for - 1.5 or what ever the max is then mark it again with your sharpie , so you will have points to choose from when ever your at the track or daily driver .
Old 06-27-2008, 12:28 PM
Vapour Trails
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Sleeper_08

Is it possible at the track to loosen the bolts off and then move them to increase the negative camber to whatever the maximiume is it will give. Then once the track day is overmove them back to 3/4 degree negative. If it is possible how doI know both sides move to the same camber angle.
I currently have these coming in the mail. Are adjustments made by loosening the 4 strut mount nuts under the hood or by the strut to spindle bolts?

Basically I'm asking the for procedure for adjustment.
Old 06-28-2008, 08:09 AM
Red06
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Vapour Trails

Is it possible at the track to loosen the bolts off and then move them to increase the negative camber to whatever the maximiume is it will give. Then once the track day is over move them back to 3/4 degree negative. If it is possible how do I know both sides move to the same camber angle.
I currently have these coming in the mail. Are adjustments made by loosening the 4 strut mount nuts under the hood or by the strut to spindle bolts?

Basically I'm asking the for procedure for adjustment.
The four strut mount bolts under the hood.
Old 06-28-2008, 08:23 AM
Red06
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sd07gt

They have pointer indicators at the open hole in the front of the strut tower, if your car is already at 3/4 negative ....you can take a sharpie and make a dot on the strut tower ...then have it aligned for - 1.5 or what ever the max is then mark it again with your sharpie , so you will have points to choose from when ever your at the track or daily driver .
The only issue is that toe will change as well (not sure for the better or worse at the moment). -1.5 is not radical for a daily driver and is within Ford specs. Last year, I had mine set at -1.75 and there was plenty of room to go more.
Old 06-28-2008, 02:03 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

To move them after loosening the 4 bolts under the hood do I have to have the weight off the front wheels?
Old 06-28-2008, 03:20 PM
Red06
2nd Gear Member

To move them after loosening the 4 bolts under the hood do I have to have the weight off the front wheels?
They move really easily with the weight off, maybe too easily. I imagine they can still be moved with the weight on but I have never tried. You may be able to move them using the tab visible in the strut tower opening. The plate is pretty thick.
Old 06-29-2008, 09:40 AM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

do it with the weight on the wheels. I use a 12" prybar. A stout screwdriver works well too.

you will need a set ot toe plates and a tape measure too.
Old 06-29-2008, 01:25 PM
houstonnw
2nd Gear Member

Is it possible at the track to loosen the bolts off and then move them to increase the negative camber to whatever the maximiume is it will give. Then once the track day is over move them back to 3/4 degree negative. If it is possible how do I know both sides move to the same camber angle.
A local shop here in Houston strongly recommended against adding more camber for track days because of the additional toe out. He felt it would make the car hard to drive. I thought it would just make the car turn in better to go with my mAd SkIlLz!
Old 06-29-2008, 02:35 PM
doogyhap
1st Gear Member

I can only get about 1 degreeof negative camber with my Steeda HD strut mounts and Eibach prokit. I might install camber bolts also to get more negative camber. They move a lot easier with the car jacked, but you can still adjust them with weight on wheels.