Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

thoughts on steeda ball joints and bump steer kit?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 03:01 AM
redxls
2nd Gear Member

Default thoughts on steeda ball joints and bump steer kit?

Do the taller ball joints have to be installed with the new endlinks oan they be used by themselves and would I get an benefit from just those? Will these parts give an increase in steering wheel vibration? I have lowered my car and I have adjustable strut mounts on it and I am running 245/45/18's up front. Since I installed the larger wheels and tires I have noticed an increase in bumsteer and steering wheel vibration in general. I am looking to correct this issue. Any thoughts on the steeda x5 ball joints and bumpsteer kit?
Old 06-29-2008, 09:34 AM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

Default RE: thoughts on steeda ball joints and bump steer kit?

neither will fix your vibration. You likely either lost a wheel weight or have loose lugnuts.

proper bumpsteer will set you free.

the longer ball joints willl help with front grip and turn-in, but are truly NEEDED unless you are into that sort of thing. If you do them however, they will affect bumpsteer and need to be done before.

if you don't have adjustable endlinks yet - get them. I have the ones from Stranoparts.com and like them.
Old 06-29-2008, 02:41 PM
steelcomp
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: thoughts on steeda ball joints and bump steer kit?

I agree with RF...if you've lowered your car you've altered the front roll center. Using either the X5 ball joint or the LCA relocation kit will help. The ball joint is a pain to replace if you've never done one before. The relocation kit isn't any easier, but IMO, it's the proper way to correct the problem. Once you've done either of the two (some do both) you'll definitely want to bump steer the car. I believe the end links you refer to are the ones on the tie rod ends, not AR bar links? They are completely independent of the ball joint and either can be dome with or without the other, but like I say, if you do the BJ or relocate kit, you'll need to correct bump steer. I did the LCA relocate kit only and with the thickest spacer on the bump steer kit I had 15/16 of toe change through 2" of suspension travel. Luckily I got it right on the first try (after adding the other two thick spacers) and have zero now. My ride height is 27" to the fender lip with 275/40 18 Michelin PS2's.