Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Panhard rod is this the right one?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 03:27 PM
whatdaproblemis0
3rd Gear Member

Default Panhard rod is this the right one?

If someone smart with suspension could just check this out. Want to buy one

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMR-0...spagenameZWDVW

Old 07-01-2008, 03:31 PM
Vapour Trails
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Panhard rod is this the right one?

It's an adjustable panhard rod, that's what you want when lowering.
Old 07-01-2008, 03:34 PM
whatdaproblemis0
3rd Gear Member

just wasnt sure, I know that there are many out there thanks
Old 07-01-2008, 04:26 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Please wait.... First off all, which version are you getting? Three different ones are pictured there, one of which isn't even adjustable. And the adjustables with the "adjuster" in the middle are weaker since you are breaking the PHB in the middle to add that piece.

I sell UMI products. In fact you can see the various UMI PHB's I sell here: http://www.stranoparts.com/searchbym...&ModelID=5

I'm a supporter of the site, and will gladly help you understand what the differences are between different types of PHB's. The PHB's we sell start @ $109 for adjustable, they can be $139, $149, and $179 depending on the options you pick. There are some that are easier to adjust (on the car adjustable, $139), there are some that have less deflections ($149, $179 double adjustable units), some that do the basic job but better than broken in the middle types (standard adjustable $109).

Ebay got your attention, and depending on the actual part they are advertising the price might not be bad, or could be a screwing. And let's remember the free shipping isn't really free. There is a $9.99 handling fee. I charge shipping, but don't try and make it look like anything more than it is by calling it something else. It costs money to move product these days.

In the end, shipping is normally around $15. Not exactly a huge amount, and I'm around to help explain things, and support the site too.

Old 07-01-2008, 05:03 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

ORIGINAL: Sam Strano

Please wait.... First off all, which version are you getting? Three different ones are pictured there, one of which isn't even adjustable. And the adjustables with the "adjuster" in the middle are weaker since you are breaking the PHB in the middle to add that piece.

I sell UMI products. In fact you can see the various UMI PHB's I sell here: http://www.strangeparts.com/searchbymodel.php?CategoryID=79&ModelID=5

I'm a supporter of the site, and will gladly help you understand what the differences are between different types of PHB's. The PHB's we sell start @ $109 for adjustable, they can be $139, $149, and $179 depending on the options you pick. There are some that are easier to adjust (on the car adjustable, $139), there are some that have less deflections ($149, $179 double adjustable units), some that do the basic job but better than broken in the middle types (standard adjustable $109).

Ebay got your attention, and depending on the actual part they are advertising the price might not be bad, or could be a screwing. And let's remember the free shipping isn't really free. There is a $9.99 handling fee. I charge shipping, but don't try and make it look like anything more than it is by calling it something else. It costs money to move product these days.

In the end, shipping is normally around $15. Not exactly a huge amount, and I'm around to help explain things, and support the site too.

THR is also a site sponsor. So much on using that as a point to buy from you.
I am sure that they are reputable enough to purchase from.
And BMR has some really good stuff. Their products are top notch.
UMI is an unknown company around here.
The load on a panhard bar is compression and extention.
There is no lateral load so the adjustment being in the middle
does not make it any weaker than the ones with the adjustment
on the end. The eBay panhard bar you selected is top notch and
THR is also a top notch company.
Old 07-01-2008, 05:15 PM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

It's the correct one, the heading says, BMR Adjustable Panhard Rod.
Old 07-01-2008, 05:16 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

THR might well be a sponsor.. that's fine. But we are talking Ebay here, and that's what I was driving at in general. None the less, I don't think the deal is that spectacular, especially when the ad is so generic.

As for BMR vs. UMI. UMI might be "unknown" around here, but it's not unknown and in the GM world is a directy competitor with BMR. But, fair enough.

As for your thinking there is no lateral load on the PHB. You are wrong, just plain wrong. In fact a PHB deals with lateral loads, not vertical ones. Don't believe me? That's ok. Put the car in the air, axle on jack stands. The push on the side. After that disconnect the PHB and do it again and what how much more the car moves, laterally because the PHB is not hooked up. Then consider you can't apply near the force the weight of the car puts on the PHB.

The please wait was more about the fact there are too many unknowns than BMR bars are junk (they generally aren't, but the adjustable in the middle is silly IMHO). And it's not because I'm anti-THR. But add them up. Ebay special, who knows what PHB, the designs that some might think fine but others don't, and a customer who admittedly doesn't know what he's after and asks for help.

In the end, you are now the second person to just tell him "that's the bar you want". Really? Which one is he getting? I can't seem to figure it out. That Ebay ad just says it might be rod-ends, might be bushings, and that the PHB is tubular and adjustable. So which is it?

I stand by the fact that something here could be a screwing. In fact if you check BMR's own website they don't have a bar that has a list price of $149.99, like that Ebay add claims. And I think it's a bit of false advertising to show a picture of a full double rod-end PHB along with the lesser type and not tell folks what they are getting. BOTH OF THEM ARE ADJUSTABLE, and they aren't the same.
Old 07-01-2008, 05:20 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

ORIGINAL: 05 Mustang

It's the correct one, the heading says, BMR Adjustable Panhard Rod.
Please tell me you guys aren't that easy....

I'm more than a little dumbfounded here. They make 2 bars that are adjustable. And in fact BOTH are pictured in that Ebay ad. Don't you care which you are buying???????

One lists for $134.95, the other for $185.95 (as per their website). In fact, here they are:

PHR006
Tubular "On-Car" Adjustable Panhard Rod
$134.95

MPHR004
Chrome Moly "On-Car" Adjustable Panhard Rod w/rod ends
$185.95

I wish I could just sell parts by say "adjustable" and having folks believe me and take my word it's the right one for them. Not having to discuss options and explain how and why things differ would make my days a lot more breezy.
Old 07-01-2008, 05:25 PM
whatdaproblemis0
3rd Gear Member

OOOPPPPS THINK IVE STARTED A FIGHT.... I believe in the description it says chromemoly, ill check again.
Old 07-01-2008, 05:31 PM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 157db

THR is also a site sponsor. So much on using that as a point to buy from you.
I am sure that they are reputable enough to purchase from.
And BMR has some really good stuff. Their products are top notch.
UMI is an unknown company around here.
The load on a panhard bar is compression and extention.
There is no lateral load so the adjustment being in the middle
does not make it any weaker than the ones with the adjustment
on the end. The eBay panhard bar you selected is top notch and
THR is also a top notch company.
comical.

BMR's stuff might be okay for straight-liners, but for handling a lot of their parts are unreliable, poorly designed, and misrepresented (their k-member weighs a tad more than they advertise).

The 5 words in red above pretty much say that you don't really know what you are talking about.

Summit Racing is a BIG name company................that sells Granatelli Motorsports' parts. Simply being a good company doesn't mean they don't sell some crap too. Even Steeda is hit and miss. Some of their stuff is great and some of it sucks. Perception is easily manipulated.

Quick Reply: Panhard rod is this the right one?