Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Roush Springs and CHE Brace

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 11:35 PM
Gene K
5th Gear Member

Default Roush Springs and CHE Brace

Im mostly a Drag Race kind of guy (as far as playtime) but I seem to have lucked into a setup that works pretty well on the street.
Stock the car seemed to have to soft front springs (Mostly noticed on corner entry) and to soft rear springs (Could feel rear roll over).

I was having shifting issues at the Drag Strip due to Trans Torque Over and Vibration from my one-piece driveshaft due to 3.5 degree rear ujoint angle.

I installed Prothane BulletMotor Mounts (I assume these had littleto no effect on handling), CHELower Front Subframe Brace w/ Trans Torque Limiters, and R. Roush Springs. Since I kept thestock rear shocks fornow I expecteda bouncy rear ride.As I understand it theRoush Springs are 0.8 in shorter than stock and 16% stiffer (3rd party source).

The results on the street have been suprising. Thesoft front feel has disappeared on turn in (Apparentlysubframe flex played a large part) and the R. Roush Springs have eliminated the rear roll over while neither bouncing or bottoming. As a matter of fact the rear feels more controlled as if stiffer rear shocks had been installed. At the same time I cant believe the ride. I swear its smoother if more controlled than stock. Even witha full tank of fuel+ twotires/wheelsand floor jack + tools in the trunk (250 lb total) it has never bounced or bottomed. The built in understeer has also been reduced/eliminated. A bonus is it levels the car.
Of course my shocksonly have 8000 mi on themand they may go sooner now.

Its nice to get lucky every once in a while!

PS I found a blown hydraulic mount during the install that may explain the shift issues. The shifting and vibration issues where completely solved.