Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Summer/Winter tire storage questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 12:12 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Default Summer/Winter tire storage questions

Well, am now running my new R888's and are beyond wonderful so far. Currently have my PS2's and wheels in the storage all clean, shiney and dry for the next few months.

Are there any special things I should do when storing my tires/wheels when off-season? Lower pressure or anything? They will be kept dry and away from weather and laying on concrete floor. When storing the R888's, I will keep in the same location but will get to a brutal standard temp of 36°~40° at times over winter [8D]. I understand that freezing temps are not good for these tires and certainly do not have 'freezing' Winters in the San Francisco Bay Area. I have had several Winters fall breifly belown 32°, but only that cold for 4~5 hoursat at time and passesin about a week or twoover 3 Winters in the past 18 years.

The thought of placing a small electric heater with a thermostat to 'heat' when below 40° and turn off at 60° had crossed my mind. Is this like totally rediculous to even consider?

Jazzer trippin' [sm=smiley29.gif]

EDIT: I have seen ***THIS*** and wonder if you have any other good input for me

Old 07-16-2008, 05:00 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Default RE: Summer/Winter tire storage questions

Do exactly as the tire manufacturer recommends (from link) and if you are taking the rims and tires off for the winter the location you stated will be fine and dont worry about cracking as they are not used or under any "load". Place a thick piece of plastic on the concrete floor to block moisture in the ground and they will hold up fine.....trust me as I live in MI and the high temp in winter can be 36-40 and as low as -20 F.....hope it helps and forget the heater .....if you have a basement to use that is a better option as you did not state exactly where in the post above....
Old 07-16-2008, 07:53 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Default RE: Summer/Winter tire storage questions

Thank you!

I like the idea of plastic between the floor and tires (stacked on top of each other at the moment) Thought of an 'insulator' had crossed my mind, but will do for sure now. They will be in locked, double-bolted in a Fort Knox bank-safe with electronic surveillance and surrounded by a mote filled with pirahna and aligators [sm=crossbonesgif.gif]Or astorage shed under carport [&o]so they will assume outside temp over Winter.

So far am LOVING them

The Jaz