Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Steeda Ultra-Lite vs H&R Sport Springs?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 12:14 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Default RE: Steeda Ultra-Lite vs H&R Sport Springs?

ORIGINAL: PNYPOWR

I hope Sam can chime in on this question.
Since he mentioned the Vogtland GT500 springs have less of a drop on the GT, what do you think the results of using the H&R sport springs for the GT500 would be? They advertise 1in front .75in rear drop for the GT500. So, (by you best guesstimate) should this equate to about a half inch drop for the front of a GT?

I'm trying to stiffen up the ride without lowering due to already occasionally scraping my cats on the SLP x-pipe on the oddities of Pennsylvania roads (and the occasional parking lot speed bump).
I'd say your guesstimate is about right.... but given what you are saying, it's not springs you need.

I'm in PA as well. Granted I'm on the west side of the state (and it's a big state). That said, I'm happy to take anyone for a spin in my car which has stock springs and bar, but Koni's. I don't think anyone will get out of the car thinking they need springs before shocks if they take me up on the offer of a ride. Maybe springs with shocks, or springs for lowering. But I've said time and time again that thestock springs are not the weak link on the cars, and in fact work pretty damned well especially for street cars.

Shocks (and of I included struts under the general term "shocks") are dampers. What most folks dislike isn't the springs being too soft, they dislike what is a lack of rebound damping control. More rebound ties the car to the road better, makes the car change direction faster, settle down more quickly, take a set in corners quicker, and in many instances the difference is so big folks claim the dampers make the car roll less (not true, but that's how much different the car acts). If any of those things are important to you and are what you are looking to improve (and that doesn't even include the fact the rear is less jumpy on sharp bumps), and lowering is not a priority then you need to have good dampers first.
Old 07-18-2008, 12:03 PM
bolivianpimp
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Steeda Ultra-Lite vs H&R Sport Springs?

Hey guys i got some 20" wheels also and I would like to drop it. Which lower the most and which have more comfort? I do not really want that much of a bouncy ride. Are the shocks/struts really necessary?