Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Steeda Ultra-Lite vs H&R Sport Springs?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 03:21 PM
Arman

Default Steeda Ultra-Lite vs H&R Sport Springs?

Hey guys, i have an 05 Mustang GT with 20" Wheels. I need to lower it, but i dont want a bouncy or harsh ride. A friend is selling the steeda ultra-lite springs used for 100 bucks, or i can get brand new H&R Sport springs for 200 or GT500 Springs. Which way should i go? I dont want a bouncy ride.. YES i did search to find info about them , but i didnt see anything...So please let me know guys, i want to do this tomorrow. THanks
Old 07-13-2008, 04:02 PM
UrS4
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Steeda Ultra-Lite vs H&R Sport Springs?

ride height will be the lowest with the H&R, the the ultra lites and finally the GT500 springs. Spring rates are probably very similar, so if may depend on how much wheel well gap you want. I would think you could have a lower drop with the 20s.
Old 07-13-2008, 06:48 PM
Mikes_BLK_GT
4th Gear Member

FRPP spings(rebranded eibach prokit)can be pretty bouncy and are lower by about 1/4" than the steeda's. I do believe that is what the gt500 has. If it were me I'd go with the steeda's, have never tried H&R's
Old 07-13-2008, 09:48 PM
wicked stang
2nd Gear Member

GT500' dont have the FRPP springs, they also come with a six inch lift kit like on our mustangs.
H&R springs are suppose to be pretty good. Ihave the H&R race springs sitting in my room, they lower 1.5 inches like the FRPP ones but they are stiffer, so no bouncy ride.
Some people oppose buying used springs but idk thats up to you.
Old 07-14-2008, 02:08 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

If you can get the Steeda's for $100, do it. But know that the ride quality is much more the shocks and struts and their ability to control what's going on than the springs. I.E. if you run stock shocks and don't like the ride of the Steeda's, you aren't really going to like the H&R's or any other spring better.

In factgoodshocks make the car ride better with stock springs.....
Old 07-14-2008, 03:40 PM
PNYPOWR

What kind of effect would the GT500 springs have on a GT? Would they lower it, keep at stock height, or make it sit higher? I was considering this option as well.
Old 07-14-2008, 03:58 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Higher... way higher in fact. Think about this for a second. The cars are the same suspension and body. The GT500 has more weight, and still sits high stock. Take the weight off for the iron block, blower, intercooler, etc and the result will not be a car that sits lower. It will be taller because there is less mass compressing the front springs.

Case in point. We sell a lot of Vogtland GT500 springs to GT guys because on a GT they lower the fronnt of the car .8", vs. about 1.2" on tht GT500. Same springs wtih the GT being less low due to less weight. Same thing happens with thestock GT500springs on both cars.
Old 07-14-2008, 07:56 PM
MilehighGT
1st Gear Member

I just put on my H&R sport springs with the Koni adj. this weekend. I couldn't be happy with the ride or the way it looks. Listen to Sam about the stock shocks. I wouldn't think of putting any aftermarket spings with stock shocks. Besides, why do the work twice, if/when you need new shocks/struts down the road.
Old 07-15-2008, 10:52 PM
PNYPOWR

I hope Sam can chime in on this question.
Since he mentioned the Vogtland GT500 springs have less of a drop on the GT, what do you think the results of using the H&R sport springs for the GT500 would be? They advertise 1in front .75in rear drop for the GT500. So, (by you best guesstimate) should this equate to about a half inch drop for the front of a GT?

I'm trying to stiffen up the ride without lowering due to already occasionally scraping my cats on the SLP x-pipe on the oddities of Pennsylvania roads (and the occasional parking lot speed bump).
Old 07-16-2008, 04:40 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Hell- I will sell you mine "brand new" for 125+ shipping! PM me if interested. In box (steeda) with instructions and I can throw in Tacobills write up......ride is great (from friends that have it) and only selling to get roush rears only for the 3/4 inch drop!
ORIGINAL: Arman

Hey guys, i have an 05 Mustang GT with 20" Wheels. I need to lower it, but i dont want a bouncy or harsh ride. A friend is selling the steeda ultra-lite springs used for 100 bucks, or i can get brand new H&R Sport springs for 200 or GT500 Springs. Which way should i go? I dont want a bouncy ride.. YES i did search to find info about them , but i didnt see anything...So please let me know guys, i want to do this tomorrow. THanks

Quick Reply: Steeda Ultra-Lite vs H&R Sport Springs?