Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

First autoX coming up

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 08:21 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Default RE: First autoX coming up

You shouldn´t need or even want anywhere near that much. It depends more on things like tire carcass structure, and tire size and profile relative to rim width. It´s too soon to worry about playing with handling balance until you have a better idea what´s really needed there, other than a little difference front vs rear will probably help.I don´t recall your sizes offhand, but if they´re reasonably close to OE sizes 37-ish front / 33-ish rear (hot) should get you started. See also post #2.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 10-29-2008 at 06:19 AM.
Old 07-21-2008, 09:39 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

^ Hey, Norm. Running 295/30/18's on 10" (f) and 315/30/18' on 11' (r). Current 'cold' PSI at 32 on a cool morning here in NoCal.

As for some relatively spirited driving yesterday up the coast HWY 1 to Fort Bragg, car was VERY solid. Have not, as of yet, experienced any obvious tire roll and edges don't show any adverse wear. I didn't think to check the pressure when I got home last night when they were nice and warm. I will do so upcomingroad trip (next w/e [8D]) and see how much they actually rise after a few hours.

The Jaz
Old 07-21-2008, 12:53 PM
Vapour Trails
3rd Gear Member

Prepared to be humbled, that's my advice. It never fails: after a run I'll say to myself 'that was pretty fast' only to see my time 39th out of 50.

It's pretty tough. The worst part is it's an activity that you can't get much practice for, nothing on the street compares. I really need to go to a driving school in order to get some serious seat time. My club does 4 runs at each event and only by the 4th run am I realizing what I need to improve to get a better time, then it's over. Next time the course is completely different and that process begins again.

I have found riding along with others is a big help, but keep in mind your tire limitations (if you have any). Last event I rode along with a fellow S197 driver who had R-compounds and then I thought I could drive like that on stock tires, I couldn't. <spin>
Old 07-21-2008, 02:14 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Toyo suggests high 30´s/low 40´s hot pressures for those tires. I think you´d be better off near the low end in cooler weather just to get a little more heat in more quickly, so maybe a little more than 37/33. Don´t worry about trying to get precise with it. The pecking order of where improvement comes from is still driverbefore tires.

General Proxes R888 setup guidelines:

[ul][*]Operating Temperature: 140°F to 220°F, optimum around 200°F[*]Hot Inflation Pressures: High 30s to Low 40s (psi) [/ul]
Don´t forget to have fun.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 10-29-2008 at 06:20 AM.
Old 07-21-2008, 07:37 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Thanks, Norm. I guess Ishoulda checked the website, huh[sm=smiley29.gif]

Yes!!! I do remember it is supposed to be fun, and will hopefully be 'humbled' early so I can just enjoy it. BUT...... If on my first run I break the all-time record for fastest time, all bets are off [8D]

Seriously, mygoal is to just get into a low RPM 2nd gear and just focus on getting through the course and not take out too many cones. I won't worry about time, but just trying to get through before the next guy runs into my rear-end honking the horn . I will follow your recommendation of 37 (f) and 33 (r) and see how it goes.

The Jazzer
Old 07-22-2008, 08:53 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Have fun.... Remember it's about driving, and we all suck at it when we start (myself included, I was horrible). *HORRIBLE*

Have fun, realize it's a learned thing, and the courses/linesaren't as obvious as they are on a track or the street with grass and other markers to kind of let you know you're on the right path. Autox is compact, a lot of cones (hopefully not too many), and a lot action. Think a 1 minute roller coaster ride @ 50mph, but onethat you don't rely on rails for turning. That's about what it's like.

Autox courses and designs are as varied as people. Some suck, some race tracks suck too. Some are a hoot, some clubs tend to do "better" than others, you'll learn that as you go on.
Old 07-22-2008, 08:57 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

I wanted to add something. The car doesn't do anything you don't somehow ask it to do. If it won't turn, or won't stop spinning, the driver has a lot of responsibility in that. And ***-hattedness will burn you, and your tires.

I think you'll be find given your previous posts, just thought I'd kick that out. Take it FWIW, it's free advice.

And one last quick point. Understeer, is almost always too much of something: Speed in, brakes while turning, on the power way too early. If the car pushes badly, a lot, it's tell you that you need to straighten your act up....
Old 07-23-2008, 11:42 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Thanks Sam

Taking all this info in and is helping quite a bit with the mental prep. Headed out to Griggs today for re-torquing/inspection of new suspension components this morning. Spoke with John Griggs and he says 32 PSI is just fine with the R888's and Griggs set-up, so got a little conflicting info on this subject [&o]. He runs the R888'son all his race cars and tracks them with 30 PSI hot! We talked specifically about autoX and said with his suspension, designed by him and his brother Bruce, combined with very stiff side-wall of the R888's, I should be just fine. I will do the chalk ring thing around the sidewall and see if that yealds any good info.

Herearesome pics of the Griggs SLA set-up to give a better understanding of how it looks:

Jazzer The Cat

Last edited by Jazzer The Cat; 09-07-2008 at 08:59 AM. Reason: Lost link to pics
Old 09-20-2008, 10:07 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

***Sept. 27th Event cancelled***.

Just got my new JLT CAI installed along with new tune. New 70mm TB and plenum and red-to-go!!!

Looks like I will try to make the Oct. 25th one in Santa Rosa (closer to home anyway) and see if I can hit that one if it doesn't get cancelled. Not enough people signed up for event appearantly....

Jazzer bummed
Old 09-20-2008, 11:35 PM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

When did this become the "Jazzer the Cat Blog" ?

Quick Reply: First autoX coming up