Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Cooling For Rear Brakes

Old 08-04-2008, 06:03 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Default Cooling For Rear Brakes

Just got back from a track day/lapping event at Dunnville. This track is hard on brakes as it has three shorts straights (max about 1/4 mile long) joined by lots of corners. On four of the corners we were on the ABS hard.

In May when we were there the front brake cooling was not installed and we got some really bad smudges of pad material on the front rotors. After driving on the strret for a while and rebedding a couple of times everything was OK.

This time the smudging was mainly on the rear rotors. A check with the pyrometer showed the front rotors at 300 F and the rears at 450 F. Front pads are Ferodo DS2500 on GT500 Brembo's and rears are Hawk HPS on the stock setup. The lines are SS and the fluid is ATE Super Blue. There was no signs of fade even after 25 laps. by the end of the day the smudges were gving some pedal vibration.

My question is has anyone tried cooling the rear brakes? If so how was it done and did it have any effect?

Thanks.
Old 08-04-2008, 08:15 PM
Import_Slaya
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Cooling For Rear Brakes

I rigged up what the Mustang Challenge cars were recently approved to do for the rears. Basically some brake ducting zip tied to the LCA and then curving towards the rear caliper. It isn't ideal (air from a low pressure zone under the car, not directed into the rotor center, etc...), but it gets some air into that area. Basically, it's better than nothing and simple to do.

I didn't take pics of the setup with the wheels off, but can if that would help visualize. I was at VIR last weekend and all I can say is my brakes worked fine. Sorry, no pyrometer handy to check temps (yours don't seem too high, actually). I'll post some pics of the car on track where I thinkyou can sort of see them.

Old 08-04-2008, 08:30 PM
Import_Slaya
2nd Gear Member

Here are some picturessorry, not the greatest, but you get the idea. If I have a chance this weekend, I'll take a wheel off and snap a pic or two.

[IMG]local://upfiles/96090/BA4B60CA52F845468C56C65BBFA248D8.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/96090/F03F8AA1291D4277841368FD626D6FC1.jpg[/IMG]
Old 08-04-2008, 09:13 PM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

Hey Sleeper, maybe you should try a little more rear pad, something like HP+ or HT10. Like Slaya said, those temps don't seem to bad. TCS was off right?

Slaya - where are you from? I'll be at VIR end of Aug with TrackDaze.com. Full course. Ive done the YouTube drives, looks nice. Pretty long straight there!
Old 08-04-2008, 09:22 PM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

Your rear pads are definitely the issue. Step up to a more aggressive pad and you will be surprised how much it helps.
Old 08-05-2008, 05:01 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Import_Slaya

Here are some picturessorry, not the greatest, but you get the idea. If I have a chance this weekend, I'll take a wheel off and snap a pic or two.
Thanks for the pics. Whenever you get a chance for a pic with the wheel off will be fine and a real help.
Old 08-05-2008, 05:04 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Argonaut & RodeoFlyer

As the car is also a DD I was using the Ferodos/HPS ascombination street/track pads. Maybe next year I'll move up to something more agressive for the summer and then go to stock for the winter.
Old 08-05-2008, 07:13 PM
Import_Slaya
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Argonaut

Slaya - where are you from? I'll be at VIR end of Aug with TrackDaze.com. Full course. Ive done the YouTube drives, looks nice. Pretty long straight there!
I'm in Maryland (Boyds, which is about 40 minutes South of Summit Point).

For VIR, all I can say is it was very humbling, but FREAKING AWESOME. The full course (what we ran) is long and complexwithsome incredibleturn sequences. The actual setting is also very nice.

Even though Summit has some nice elevation change (chute to the carousel and back up), VIR is on a whole different level with major changes in elevation all over the track. The video just doesn't catch the perspective properly. I was very surprised during the first day on the track. Even though there is plenty of runoff in most places, it isn't a track that tolerates screw-ups. Lift in the esses, and you aren't going to be driving home.Cookturn 10, and the same goes. Blow the 14 - 17a sequence and it's going to be real ugly.

For a comparison, at Summit I'll drive at 8/10ths. At VIR, I was at 5-6/10's all weekend. It'll takea few moreweekends there before I feel comfortable. And I can't wait!
Old 08-05-2008, 09:11 PM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

Thanks for the heads up Slaya. Your going to give me white knuckles :-) I saw one of the videos of a Vette going off at turn 10, scary, it didn't look like he did anything wrong. Ill be sure to take it easy.

When you going to Summit again. I signed up for the SCCA event on Sept 6th.

Sorry to hi-jack the thread Sleeper.
Old 08-06-2008, 06:13 AM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Argonaut

Thanks for the heads up Slaya. Your going to give me white knuckles :-) I saw one of the videos of a Vette going off at turn 10, scary, it didn't look like he did anything wrong. Ill be sure to take it easy.

When you going to Summit again. I signed up for the SCCA event on Sept 6th.

Sorry to hi-jack the thread Sleeper.
That's OK. Anytime someone shares their experiences is worthwhile. I ran the Mosport GP circuit in June and it was awesome and alsoscary. Top speed was 130 MPH and turn 2 is a blind, downhill, double apex negative camber corner you take in fourth gear. Lose it in 1 and you bounce back and forth between the walls. Can't wait to get back there!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cooling For Rear Brakes