Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

how do suspension mods really help your ride out?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 02:32 PM
Project Renegade
2nd Gear Member

Default how do suspension mods really help your ride out?

ok, so i know that i want to add suspension mods to my pony but i just have one question. how do suspension mods really help us out?

i mean they sell control arms and stuff, but how could they really be that much different that the factory? they have the same geometry and travel distance and such right?

or am i just being a total newb and don't really know what the hell im talking about?
Old 08-12-2008, 02:58 PM
mac10chap
4th Gear Member

most are made of higher quality materials, are more rigid, last much longer, and have much better bushings.

You will notice most of your suspension mods in the form of a rougher ride, ie. LCA's, springs.

I also have the tokico d-specs which can be adjusted to make your ride very stiff or to make you feel like you are floating.

The aftermarket suspension parts may make the ride more rigid "or rough" but you definately feel like you have more control over your car and feel planted to the ground

Last edited by mac10chap; 08-12-2008 at 02:59 PM. Reason: didnt finish what i wanted to say
Old 08-12-2008, 03:30 PM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Project Renegade
ok, so i know that i want to add suspension mods to my pony but i just have one question. how do suspension mods really help us out?

i mean they sell control arms and stuff, but how could they really be that much different that the factory? they have the same geometry and travel distance and such right?

or am i just being a total newb and don't really know what the hell im talking about?
The two suspension mods that have the biggest effect are Dampers and Springs. The Dampers are huge, switch to a set of good adjustables like the D-Specs or Konis and your handling will improve dramatically. The car will respond better to turns and bumps, you will feel more in control and more confident taking the car through corners. The springs also have a dramatic change depending on which springs you install. Generally aftermarket springs are a bit lower and stiffer. Thus you gain looks and less body roll (another handling improvement) at the expense of ride (not all springs are stiffer than stock).

The other suspension mods are less dramatic and may or may not be needed depending on your goals and the amount of drop due to a spring change. If you are into drag or street racing and you experience wheel hop...then a set of control arms and possibly relocation brackets will do you nicely. If you are into serious cornering then camber plates or bolts, good PHB and UCA are on the menu. It really depends very much on how you want to change the behavior of the car.
Old 08-13-2008, 12:57 AM
SONICBOOST3
2nd Gear Member

My favorite suspension mod is my BMR billet lca's. They cured my wheel hop and made the ride feel smoother and more planted. Also have eibach prokit/steeda shocks and struts which help wheel hop..
Old 08-13-2008, 05:54 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

From a near-duplicate thread in the 4.0L Handling section https://mustangforums.com/forum/s197-handling-section/473188-how-do-suspension-mods-really-help-your-ride-out.html

ORIGINAL: vancebreck
Here is the answer you don't want....it depends.

It depends on which parts you are replacing and what for. New springs can lower the center of gravity for the car. Even 1 inch can be significant considering the weight of the car. But you also have to consider speed. The different will obviously not be felt at lower speeds so the faster the speed the more significant the difference. New shocks and struts can make a ride smoother or more firm. A firm stance will allow you to "feel" the road more and react faster when on a road course. Other parts, like anti-roll bars and lower control arms are made of better materials which again do not dampen the feel of the road allowing for better or quicker control. Will new suspension parts make a significant difference on a daily driver? Depends on how you drive and how you like the feel of your car.
and

ORIGINAL: Norm Peterson
Generally, aftermarket control arms come fitted with firmer bushings, which provide more accurate location of the wheels/axle and a more precise "feel". Understand that rear axle end motion is not purely up-and-down vertical. It also includes little fore/aft movements and some slight axle steering in most situations, and greater bushing compliance (think "squishi-ness") usually increases these effects. In a drag race launch, firmer bushings tend to suppress wheel hop. Up front, firmer bushings also translate into better camber control and better front grip (read: slightly higher cornering limits and a little less understeer when you're hustling it a bit through the turns).

Norm
Old 08-13-2008, 06:08 AM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Here is a good thread that explains LCAs and UCAs http://www.cherod.com/mustang/HowTo/LCA%20_adj.htm