Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Very Harsh Ride (LCA angle?)

Old 08-26-2008, 08:20 AM
trigger06
2nd Gear Member

Default Very Harsh Ride (LCA angle?)

I've got a pretty harsh ride. I believe the culprit might be LCA Relocation Bracket setting. I'm using the Steeda bracket. The shop installed everything and bolted the LCA to the lowest hole. From reading things on the internet recently, I've heard that the LCA angle affects both ride harshness and how much traction you can get off the line. I was wondering where others on this board have their LCAs set. Should I change the setting? Thanks!
Old 08-26-2008, 09:17 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

A useful link that describes how they should be set up http://www.cherod.com/mustang/HowTo/LCA%20_adj.htm

Mine are pretty well parallel to the ground
Old 08-27-2008, 08:16 AM
Philostang
3rd Gear Member

Hey Trigger06,

I've got the same brackets, but mine are set at the second to lowest hole. In that position the control arms are not parallel, they're 3 degrees up (towards the front) now. They were 6 degrees up on stock springs (same hole), but now that I'm lowered they are just right for me. I LOVE it. I can feel the rear take set much more clearly, and the power feels like its coming right through the chassis to your seat.

I have done a bunch of other things to the car that negatively effected ride harshness, so I can't give you a direct back to back OEM-to-bracket comparison. The new shocks and springs did far more in this regard than anything I felt with the relocation brackets alone.

Best,
-j
Old 08-27-2008, 10:51 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by trigger06
The shop installed everything and . . .
What is included in the "everything" that wasn't there before?

Norm
Old 08-27-2008, 01:48 PM
trigger06
2nd Gear Member

I got Ford racing springs, d-specs (I've set them pretty soft), Upper and lower control arms, LCA relocation brackets, and an adjustable panhard bar. I understand that all of these things contribute to a rougher ride. However, with the softer setting on the d-specs, I dont think the ride should be quite this rough.
Old 08-27-2008, 02:38 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

It's not the brackets. It's mostly the springs. And fwiw, if you run the shocks too soft it makes the ride worse since you underdamp the springs. And the springs you have are a little on the short side and contact the bumpstops more quickly and a bit harder than even a little stiffer spring would. Finally, shocks do a lot, but they can't make springs that don't suit you a ton better.

I'm not sure why with all you've done you think the LCA brackets are the issue. Nor am I sure why you think you can run the shocks way soft despite having heavier rate and shorter springs.

Without being too harsh, it sounds to me like you tossed a bunch of parts together not really understanding how they work individually as well as you might have.