Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

temporary tire rec's, for corner carving

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 08:53 AM
doc stang
1st Gear Member

norm, and argonaut,

tell me exactly which rim, size, off-sett, tire, and tire size u r running, (or would be)

i think i am just going to go ahead and go for the 5zigens now instead or re shodding the old bullitt rims

i am thinking 17x9 with either 35mm?? offset or 43mm offset??
and wanting to do like 275/40 17's

sounds like from norm, i need to be on 10" wide rims?
if so what off-set, and what profile of a 275, and will it rub?

but the guy at discount tire thinks it will rub, and he thinks i should do 275/50's, or 255/40's

seems like i remember lots of folks in s-1972 are doing 275/40's, but i do not know if that is for 17's or 18's.
thx,
doc
Old 09-17-2008, 09:56 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

I've seen 275/40's on 18 x 9.5 GT500 wheels at least a couple of times (I think Nuke has this setup). It's certainly do-able, I'm just kind of hardcore about the relation between tire and wheel width (I've done 225/60 on 8.5" and even 185/70 on 7" for other vehicles). Most folks could probably chop half an inch off the wheel width that I'd choose for myself and never regret it for an moment. For any purpose.

Keep in mind that 255/45 on 18 x 9.5 (45 mm offset, 7.125" backspace) is the front tire fitment for the GT500, and Ford is going to be on the conservative side for an OE vehicle.

Both mounted on 9.5" wide wheels, a 275/40 is about 5/16" wider on both the inside and the outside as compared to a 255/45. The 275/40 tire will sit the car about 3/16" lower to the ground and will add about 3/16" to the clearance above the tire. These relationships are probably pretty good between tires in the same make/model and maybe even among different model tires of the same make. Not quite as good among different makes, though.

I'm looking very hard at GT500 wheels and 255/45 F1 Asymmetrics (I try to spend my $ carefully rather than hastily). I suspect that the 9.5" wheels being at the upper end of the recommended width range will "crutch" the only minor "weakness" noted in Tire Rack's comparative test involving that tire (that being "response").

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 09-17-2008 at 10:04 AM.
Old 09-17-2008, 12:40 PM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by doc stang
tell me exactly which rim, size, off-set, tire, and tire size u r running, (or would be)
My Track rims are 17x9 5Zigens with 35mm offset. I have used both 255/40/17 Falkens and 275/40/17 Nittos on them. The car is lowered with Eibach Pro. No rubbing and I even have brake ducts hiding in there.

This setup is pretty much track only - the ground clearance is about 3-3.5" and there are unsightly gaps between tire and fender.

I have multiple track days with both tires. My impression is the smaller tires were a bit more responsive, the bigger tire just a wee bit more vague. But it does not bother me, I adjusted to it. The difference may be partly because they are different brands of tires and partly the size. I like both tires and would be happy with either. I slightly prefer the increased grip of the R-Comp Nittos, but it comes at a price - I can't drive to and from the track on them and they heat up slowly and thus are a poor tire for AX.

Next time I need new tires I will stick with the 275/40 size but I may go back to the Falken due to convience of streetability and faster warm ups.

Regards 17 vs 18: Sounds like you are sold on 17s and that is the most economical choice. If I had to do it over again and had the cash, I would go with 18s for two reasons: big brake option and increased ground clearance at the penalty of more expensive tires and increased weight. But at this point switching to 18s isn't really an option for me. To make big brakes a reality would be very expensive: 2 sets of rims - track set and street set that will clear BBK, new rubber, cost of BBK. I would be in the several thousand dollar range. I'll stick with the maxed out stock brakes, which are thus far doing just fine.
Old 09-17-2008, 02:13 PM
doc stang
1st Gear Member

yes, i am committed to 17's,
cheaper tires, and lighter rims, and less brake mass.
i think my brakes are good as they are, currently modified.

argo,
did u go wiht the fn01r-c's?
if so which finish? got any pics?

anticipating 275/40's shoul i go for the 43mm or 35mm ofsett?
thx to all,
doc
Old 09-17-2008, 04:49 PM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by doc stang
argo,
did u go wiht the fn01r-c's?
if so which finish? got any pics?

anticipating 275/40's shoul i go for the 43mm or 35mm ofsett?
thx to all,
doc
Where are you from Doc?

Yes - FN01R
Color - hyperblack
Offset - go with the 35mm

Pics - I don't have any good ones:

Last edited by Argonaut; 09-17-2008 at 04:51 PM.
Old 09-17-2008, 11:33 PM
doc stang
1st Gear Member

Default thanks for all the help,

nice ride, i like the blue, and the rims look great!

how much are you lowered?
guessing 1.4ish? with the eibachs.

my bullitt is black
i am torn between the silver, glossy black with machine finished rim, and the matt black finish

anodized silver

glossy black

matt black

i live in greenville, s.c.
planning on going to VIR november 2nd, 3rd, and 17th
you ever make it down there?

doc
Old 09-18-2008, 07:17 AM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

I really wanted those matt black ones but couldn't find that color when I was buying. They'd look great on the Bullit.

Nov 2-3 is with Chin Motorsports right? Never run with them. Nov 17-18 is TrackDaze, I have run with them twice. Great group of guys, its crossed my mind to drive down for that one....maybe. Its about a 6hr drive for me.

I was at VIR end of August. Freaking awesome track. Here is my post on it: VIR Report

Care to share how much $ you have invested in your engine? Sounds like a great setup.
Old 09-18-2008, 12:04 PM
doc stang
1st Gear Member

y not chin?
Old 09-18-2008, 04:22 PM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

I just haven't had the opportunity yet to sign up for one of Chin's events. I personally know nothing about them, I've heard them mentioned a few times while hanging around other track junkies but didn't hear any pro or con comments. I think they are pretty expensive though, aren't they? For a 2-day at VIR TrackDaze charged $375, I thought that was a decent price considering the track. That was for 4 sessions each day with instructor + classroom.
Old 09-18-2008, 05:03 PM
doc stang
1st Gear Member

oh,
i thought you were warning to never run with them
but were saying you [had] never run with them [yet].

Quick Reply: temporary tire rec's, for corner carving