Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Shelby Razors Kicking up rocks

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 05:20 PM
Doogie65
4th Gear Member

"go easy on him, he is from WI"... what's up with that?? lol

Anyhow, the offset feedback seems to be the only thing that makes sense, When this issue was shared with me, I thought it seemed very absurd for a wheel to cause this type of issue. Anyhow, guess I deserve any badgering as this an off the wall thread/topic. And the more I think about, should have just buried that feedback in my mind as "not relevant".
Old 10-28-2008, 08:07 PM
siberian.mist
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Doogie65
"go easy on him, he is from WI"... what's up with that?? lol

Anyhow, the offset feedback seems to be the only thing that makes sense, When this issue was shared with me, I thought it seemed very absurd for a wheel to cause this type of issue. Anyhow, guess I deserve any badgering as this an off the wall thread/topic. And the more I think about, should have just buried that feedback in my mind as "not relevant".
sorry man i was just kidding, more than anything im just pissed about the vikings/packers thing right now, hope you understand.

and i'd say its a combination of wheel offset, tire width, and that most people go with stickier, more aggressive tires than stock with aftermarket wheels.
Old 10-29-2008, 06:35 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Tire tread design and compounding is what picks stuff up and throws it at the car.

Wheel and tire tread width dimensions and wheel offset determine what the stuff that gets thrown up ends up hitting.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 10-29-2008 at 06:41 AM. Reason: spelin'
Old 11-20-2008, 12:53 PM
Vapour Trails
3rd Gear Member

Yeah I found out that wider wheels and R-compounds can do some damage.

I am so mad, I had my car repainted almost completely this summer because of some severe rock chip damage while driving on a "road" in Montana last spring.

When I was putting my car away for winter a couple months back I realized I have new chips on my front fenders, behind the wheels. I couldn't figure out how that happened at first because I very rarely drive on gravel. Then it hit me, my autocross tires are 285/30/18 R-comps, that stick out much farther than the stock 17"s and the R-comps pick up rocks like crazy.

So my freshly painted fenders have rock chips once again, many small ones. F#uck.

Autocross certainly isn't for the fate of heart re: appearance. It takes its toll, cones marks, rock chips.

Last edited by Vapour Trails; 11-20-2008 at 12:59 PM.
Old 11-20-2008, 01:21 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

In the future, you might try applying a couple thicknesses of the wide blue painter's tape where the chips show up. I see that fairly commonly at auto-X.

Norm
Old 11-20-2008, 02:34 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Vapour Trails
Yeah I found out that wider wheels and R-compounds can do some damage.

I am so mad, I had my car repainted almost completely this summer because of some severe rock chip damage while driving on a "road" in Montana last spring.

When I was putting my car away for winter a couple months back I realized I have new chips on my front fenders, behind the wheels. I couldn't figure out how that happened at first because I very rarely drive on gravel. Then it hit me, my autocross tires are 285/30/18 R-comps, that stick out much farther than the stock 17"s and the R-comps pick up rocks like crazy.

So my freshly painted fenders have rock chips once again, many small ones. F#uck.

Autocross certainly isn't for the fate of heart re: appearance. It takes its toll, cones marks, rock chips.
Ditto for road course runners - they are called battle scars and they look bad but are worn proudly because we know where they came from. No trailer queens and fair weather cruisers for us.