Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Lets talk about Watts-link suspensions

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 05:35 PM
Joolander
Lord High Protector

Default Lets talk about Watts-link suspensions

pros, cons, and what have you, people who have them installed, etc
Old 12-06-2008, 08:40 PM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

Talking

Joolander - I have a new respect for you. I am one of few people in here that know what your avatar is.

Have - Maximum Mototsports panhard bar. Cheap and effective.

Want - Griggs

Pros - does it just a little better than a panhard rod. adjustable roll center.

Cons - COSTS A LOT OF MONEY BETTER SPENT ELSEWHERE ON THE CAR FOR STREET/AUTOCROSS/OT guys.
Old 12-07-2008, 01:51 AM
jahudso2
4th Gear Member

Will an aftermarket poly/poly panhard bar be any better than the stock panhard bar, or is the only gain with spherical bushings?
Old 12-07-2008, 06:49 AM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

according to sam strano the most racing proven mustang handling person, watts links do nothing for the mustang's handeling on the track because of the way the panhard bad is designed it changes the roll center on a track very little. However on the street a watts link significantly improves handeling because when the roll center changes the tires shift around loosing grip in the process and messing up the handeling too.

The problem is that watts links add lots of unsprung weight, unless they are of the diff cover variety. Furthermore continuing his words not mine, watts links are hugely overpriced.

He'd only put them on if you have:

Front sway bar
damper
springs
lower control arms

and only if you're driving on the street, because on the track a car with a watts link preforms the same as a car with an aftermarket pan hard bar and you would have just wasted money.

The watts link also lets you run a stronger rear sway bar without sacrificing ride comfort, which which can increase handeling a very significant 10%!

Last edited by Legion5; 12-07-2008 at 06:58 AM.
Old 12-07-2008, 09:27 AM
Joolander
Lord High Protector

the one i am looking at is of the differential cover variety, and comes with a stronger sway bar
Old 12-07-2008, 11:17 AM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Here are some other threads that discuss the Watt's link;

https://mustangforums.com/forum/s197...nsive-way.html

https://mustangforums.com/forum/s197...atts-link.html

Here is the Wikipedia article with a neat animated graphic showing how it works -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watt%27s_linkage
Old 12-07-2008, 10:22 PM
sleepless

IMHO the Watts link is over advertised/overrated in terms of cost/benefit. From what I've found, an adjustable panhard bar with poly bushings is way more than most people need and costs less. This the route I chose for a daily driver and occasional open track toy.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:02 AM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

Its funny - the Watts link is one of those subjects, much like coil over dampers, that seems to stoke passionate responses, both pro and con, from all sorts of people, most of who have never driven on one and are only regurgitating what they have read elsewhere or trying to rationalize why they didn't purchanse one.

Two people whose opinion I respect much - F1Fan and Sam Strano (in spite of the post regarding Sam's comments above) have both driven Watts Links and think they are worth it. In fact, if you go back over time reading F1Fan's posts you can see how he evloved from a Watts link hater to a Watts link lover once he tried it and then installed it in his car.

Unless you actually have high performance driving experience in a car with one installed, I just don't see how you can answer this question. My 2 cents.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:53 AM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Argonaut
.... Two people whose opinion I respect much - F1Fan and Sam Strano (in spite of the post regarding Sam's comments above) have both driven Watts Links and think they are worth it. In fact, if you go back over time reading F1Fan's posts you can see how he evloved from a Watts link hater to a Watts link lover once he tried it and then installed it in his car.
That is why a Watt's link is on my wish list for next season!
Old 12-08-2008, 08:12 AM
houstonnw
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Argonaut
Two people whose opinion I respect much - F1Fan and Sam Strano (in spite of the post regarding Sam's comments above) have both driven Watts Links and think they are worth it.
I would like to see a post from Sam recommending a Watts Link.

Edit to add: I took Legion's advice and Googled Sam Strano and watts link and found some posts.

Last edited by houstonnw; 12-08-2008 at 09:01 AM. Reason: add'l info

Quick Reply: Lets talk about Watts-link suspensions