Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

I have $300, need help w/ suspension....

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 06:13 PM
diegomustang

Default I have $300, need help w/ suspension....

So...I'm thinking BMR stuff because it's affortable and I've heard good things, but what do I need? I have a 2006 GT auto w/ non-intercooled Vortech supercharger and 3.73 gears. I'm having trouble getting traction when launching. So what would help most besides tires? lower control arms? upper control arms? ext...
Old 12-12-2008, 10:42 PM
chopin0302
1st Gear Member

I think most would tell you that LCAs would be the best starting point. The factory ones are a pretty weak point. BMR, Steeda, and UMI all make good LCAs that would work well.

HTH
Old 12-12-2008, 11:26 PM
Texotic
5th Gear Member

From what I've heard, CHE makes some pretty good stuff and it is considerably cheaper than BMR. But you want LCA's for traction.
Old 12-13-2008, 12:55 AM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

LCAs for traction and no wheel hop. I use the CHE fixed lengths and am very happy with them.

For launching at the track, you'll want drag slicks or drag radials for tires for traction. You can put some on stock rims to save some bucks.
Old 12-14-2008, 01:24 PM
diegomustang

Originally Posted by tx_zstang
LCAs for traction and no wheel hop. I use the CHE fixed lengths and am very happy with them.

For launching at the track, you'll want drag slicks or drag radials for tires for traction. You can put some on stock rims to save some bucks.
Thanks for the replys so far, so if LCA's are for traction and wheel hop then what do UCA's do? Should I get both LCA's and UCA's?
Old 12-14-2008, 08:53 PM
UrS4
4th Gear Member

You will have to pick either LCA or UCA for $300. There isn't a LCA and UCA combo pack out there that will help worth less than $300.

I purchased Spohn chrome moly rod/poly adjustable LCA and most of my wheel hop disappeared. But wheel hop is not strictly due to one particular suspension component. Shocks, springs, tires, diameter of the tire, LCA, UCA all play a role in controlling wheel hop. I can say that on this forum, there is also no consensus as to which single component affects wheel hop the most. Some say shocks, others LCA.
Old 12-15-2008, 12:54 PM
BMRFabricationSales
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by diegomustang
So...I'm thinking BMR stuff because it's affortable and I've heard good things, but what do I need? I have a 2006 GT auto w/ non-intercooled Vortech supercharger and 3.73 gears. I'm having trouble getting traction when launching. So what would help most besides tires? lower control arms? upper control arms? ext...

Hello, thank you for considering BMR. I would suggest a set of our non adjustable lca's with a set of relocation brackets. The lca's will help with traction and make the car more consistant. The relocation brackets will allow you to adjust the instant center of your car and will help with weight transfer. They will also eliminate any wheel hop that you might have. Give me a call i can give you our pricing.

Last edited by BMRFabricationSales; 12-18-2008 at 12:05 PM.
Old 12-15-2008, 01:56 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

. . . wheel hop is not strictly due to one particular suspension component. Shocks, springs, tires, diameter of the tire, LCA, UCA all play a role in controlling wheel hop. I can say that on this forum, there is also no consensus as to which single component affects wheel hop the most. Some say shocks, others LCA.
To the OP, LCAs are certainly easier to install and are perhaps all you need. Relo brackets or a UCA can be added later if necessary.

With respect to LCAs vs shocks, I think it depends on the wheel hop cause (there can be more than one). If it's related to the OE bushings' compressing and springing back under load, the control arms are what need attention. If it's due to extreme and rapidly occurring rear end squat, relo brackets would be first choice for a lowered car and especially for drag racing, with shocks probably being the better (only?) choice for a daily-driver that is not going to ever get lowered.

Personally, I generally suspect the LCAs in these cases, since the OE shocks are pretty stiff in 'bump'. If you're getting wheel hop on wet pavement, it's probably not due to rear squat issues, which leaves the control arm bushings.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 12-15-2008 at 01:58 PM.