Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Handling Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2017, 06:47 PM
ourpony

Default Handling Upgrade

With a 20% savings across the board I went and pulled the trigger and ordered the parts for one of two suspension upgrades I am planning for our 2008 gt. I will pin the rear down in the spring. Went all steeda even though I was leaning towards the FRP kit….just could not justify the cost:555 5716 Steeda Mustang Double Bar Strut Tower Brace (05-10 GT)
555 1065 Steeda Mustang Sway Bar Kit (05-10)
555 8410 Steeda Pro-Action Sport Spring/Shock/Strut Mount Package (05-10)
555 2551 A Steeda Mustang Street Adjustable Panhard Bar (05-14)
555 2555 Steeda Heavy Duty Mustang Panhard Bar Brace (05-14)

Fussed over the shocks/struts, considering koni yellows (could not justify the need for adjustable at almost 1K) and koni STR.T’s and finely settled on steeda’s pro action’s. Any thoughts on something I may have missed on the handling side for a weekend toy ???
Old 11-25-2017, 08:41 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Wheels and tires spec'ed for cornering & handling instead of "Cars & Coffee conventional".

I understand the decision to go non-adjustable. It's hard to picture the benefits until you've had them.

I track my car from time to time, but I haven't added anybody's strut tower brace or PHB brace (even its PHB is mostly Ford-original). It pulls over 1.1g sustained and peaks in the 1.3x g range when I do my part somewhere near right.

Norm
Old 11-25-2017, 04:05 PM
ourpony

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
Wheels and tires spec'ed for cornering & handling instead of "Cars & Coffee conventional".

I understand the decision to go non-adjustable. It's hard to picture the benefits until you've had them.

I track my car from time to time, but I haven't added anybody's strut tower brace or PHB brace (even its PHB is mostly Ford-original). It pulls over 1.1g sustained and peaks in the 1.3x g range when I do my part somewhere near right.

Norm
The next step for me is just that, I plan on going with Boss 302 style 19” wheels made by ford performance with Nitto INVO 255/35/19 & 285/35/19 staggered set up. As for skimping on the shocks/struts…..with the spring/shock/caster camber plates packaged and discounted it was hard to justify it knowing the car will never see a track or even prolonged aggressive driving. That said I bet I will be putting yellows on the car before it is over.The car is a super low mileage one owner auto that we have already done cold air/tune and new exhaust, American racing long tubes/X pipe/Borlia cat backs. The long term plan is to build it out, pinning the rear end down and breaks are next after wheels and tires so when I retire it will be ready for some forced air
Old 11-25-2017, 06:04 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Square the wheel widths and tire sizes up. It might be a little more work up front once you get into 285 & wider territory, but it's worth it.

285/35-18 MPSS on 18x11 Forgestars all around. Front and rear offsets are different, but even this much can be done up front without too much effort. A NA 4.6L doesn't make nearly enough torque to need a staggered setup for cushion against oversteer caused by too much throttle in and out of the corners. What it does need is more front grip to mitigate the designed-in understeer.

On 10" wide 19" wheels, 285/35's would be slightly easier to fit all around. Or I suppose you could run 275/35's up front and 285/35's out back without introducing much understeer in all but the very hardest cornering possible with them. But I think I'd still rather square the tire sizes up at 275/35 (I may have to, but that's a story for a different thread).

Norm