Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Steeda LCA's--Spherical Bearing or Poly Bushings

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 04:08 AM
Jersey Stang
2nd Gear Member

Question Steeda LCA's--Spherical Bearing or Poly Bushings

I'm looking to get Steeda Lower Control Arms very soon, and I'm tossed between the Spherical Bearing or Poly Bushings. Steeda recommends the Spherical Bearing for 500+hp. Since i'm near the limit (440rwhp) I'm wondering if I should go with the spherical bearing or if the poly bushing will do fine. I know there is some NVH with the spherical bearing, but I don't know how much. I'd like to hear from anyone that has either the Spherical Bearing (555-4406) or the Poly Bushing (555-4405). Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks
Old 01-09-2009, 07:19 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

You will get additional NVH running an aftermarket LCA with poly or spherical end(s). You will get more with a spherical, but less bind in axle articulation. If you visualize the rear axle with one wheel moving up/down in wheel well (articulating), you will see the LCA's need to rotate or twist lengthwise slightly to allow such movement. This is where the spherical joint is the way to go. The poly/poly ends will not allow this rotation without some binding. It is not a HUGE amount of binding, but your suspension action will be improved over the stock or poly/poly ended LCA's. When this suspension action improves, your handling/cornering will also benifit. I would also recommend an adjustable set as this can help with axle centering and can effect pinion angle as well. Although, I think the UCA is the preferred adjustment point for pinion angle issues. I don't know how to express how much NVH you will get, but this is a trade-off for a more properly operating suspension system.

Looking at the Steeda site, I don't see a pair I would like, but if I HAD to go Steeda, I would only purchase these:

These are really overkill as they have spherical (Heim joints) at both ends and really unnecessary.

I would MUCH rather go with a set of UMI set like the following that can be found at Sam Strano's site:

These are a wonderful set and offer the best of both worlds. Spherical/poly ends (greasable, to boot).

HTH

Jazzer
Old 01-09-2009, 07:44 AM
Doogie65
4th Gear Member

I just picked up a set of the 555-4405 on ebay for a killer deal, but won't know until spring how they work out and if any major NVH is prevalent. I really wanted a billet set because I like they way they look, but there aren't many options. I had originally bought a set of the Roush billet's knowing they had rubber bushings and assumed they had the same ones used on the GT500 stock version, but later found out they were just stock rubber.

Another option I was considering were the J&Ms as there 3-piece bushing design does look intriguing. Had I not found this deal on the Steedas ($230 shipped) which I know are a great product, I was planning on going the J&M route as you can get them on their ebay store (Hotparts) for $218 shipped.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BILLE...mZ170291332175
Old 01-09-2009, 07:55 AM
Jersey Stang
2nd Gear Member

Right now my car is not lowered and I prefer the non-adjustable LCA's. If i decide to lower my car, i will buy adjustable Uppers. I know i will be deciding between only the two i mentioned, but not sure if i should go with the 4406 or if the 4405 will be more than enough. Doogie, that's a great buy. i wish i was searching ebay for that deal. Is there anyone that has Steeda's 4406 that can chime in? thanks
Old 01-09-2009, 08:15 AM
Doogie65
4th Gear Member

Although mine is slightly dropped via Roush springs (~ 1in.), I am with you and wanted fixed LCAs. I have not checked the pinion angle yet, but worse case is that I can put in an adj. UCA.
Old 01-09-2009, 08:29 AM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

I can comment on the NVH - I have the Spohn poly/rod LCAs, UCA and PHB. Yes there is a small increase in N and in H but its nothing like some people make it out to be and I don't feel any increase in V. To me the articulation, lack of binding and solid mounts are way worth it over the slight increase in NH. I guess it all depends on what you are after. Heck, my exahust is a lot louder than any noise from the suspension.
Old 01-09-2009, 08:56 AM
BMRFabricationSales
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Jersey Stang
I'm looking to get Steeda Lower Control Arms very soon, and I'm tossed between the Spherical Bearing or Poly Bushings. Steeda recommends the Spherical Bearing for 500+hp. Since i'm near the limit (440rwhp) I'm wondering if I should go with the spherical bearing or if the poly bushing will do fine. I know there is some NVH with the spherical bearing, but I don't know how much. I'd like to hear from anyone that has either the Spherical Bearing (555-4406) or the Poly Bushing (555-4405). Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks
Hello, a poly/poly control arm will work fine for your application but if you can tolerate a small increase in nvh and i mean really small the poly/rod combo arm will net you better performance not only at the drag strip but also in handling. The poly/rod arms articulate better and have less binding. We also offer a poly/rod arm along with several other designs. If you have any questions please give me a call.

Last edited by BMRFabricationSales; 01-15-2009 at 10:55 AM.
Old 01-09-2009, 11:32 AM
Jersey Stang
2nd Gear Member

thanks, I guess 4406 is the way to go. it will help me now and later on, if i decide to up the power
Old 01-09-2009, 12:32 PM
07musclemustang
4th Gear Member

get the combo poly/sperical its the best way to go
Old 01-09-2009, 05:04 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 07musclemustang
get the combo poly/sperical its the best way to go

+1 - I'm seriously considering swapping out my Steeda adjustable poly/poly (555-4416) LCA's for the adjustable UMI poly/rod LCA's.

This is primarily to get the better articulation but also to get a poly bushing with a grease fitting.

My car is a DD but set up mainly for road course track days per my sig. I ran 6 days last year and hope to run at least that many this year.