Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

adjustable sways (will they fit)??

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 08:17 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by clintster77
Wow that's the longest post I have ever typed .
Well that's what happens when you really start to get into the handling forum

The subject is so incredibly complex and fascinating.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:30 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
I knew that sooner or later that would be mentioned . . . so I just sat back and waited. Here ya go. Yeah, I know it's a bit long and probably has more math in it than lots of folks will bother to struggle through.

[RearwardLoadTransfer] = [Acceleration] x [SprungCarWeight] x [SprungWeightCG_Height] ÷ [Wheelbase]
where [Acceleration] = [Rear%] ÷ (1 - [Rear%] x [CGHeight............................
[Acceleration] = 0.47 ÷ (1 - 0.47*23.52/107) = 0.524g
[RearwardLoadTransfer] = (0.524 x 3500 x 23.52 ÷ 107 = 403 lb
Rear tire vertical load = 3500 x 0.47 + 403 = 2048 lbs

Norm
Sheesh Norm - this like going back to school (Mech Eng '73) or rereading my copy of Costin & Phipps! Good stuff.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:54 PM
clintster77
2nd Gear Member

oh yea .Thanks Norm for your input. It is always welcome on any thread I start. I argue but I still listen
Old 01-15-2009, 11:18 PM
clintster77
2nd Gear Member

Hey the hopes of using these sways just got put back on my list. I was informed by Legion5 that the Gt and the V6 axle housing is the same OD.

I figure that they will be fine since a V6 has less power than a GT ( no pure power slide). Since I like more oversteer than a lot of grip drivers. It will be a way to get a little more rear kick without welding the differential or clutch kicking .
In my opinion a GT should be set up with a tad less oversteer than a V6 because of all the extra power on tap to the rear wheels.
Just an opinion that I have about all higher power cars.
Old 01-16-2009, 05:55 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by clintster77
Since I like more oversteer than a lot of grip drivers. It will be a way to get a little more rear kick without welding the differential or clutch kicking .
Cat's out of the bag now.

In my opinion a GT should be set up with a tad less oversteer than a V6 because of all the extra power on tap to the rear wheels.
Probably true. But keep in mind that there's much more to understeer/understeer handling balance than springs, sta-bars, and roll center heights. Rear axle roll steer, for starters.

Norm
Old 01-16-2009, 03:27 PM
clintster77
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
Cat's out of the bag now.

Norm
Hey don't label me.
I don't like a drift setup! There is a difference .
I just like to be more comfortable at the limits of any car and for me that's a way for me to achieve that. It makes mistakes easier to correct if you feel comfortable beyond the cars grip limit. Just because you slide doesn't make you a drifter unless your goal is to slide for show. But if you do understand and feel confident "drifting " Then you feel comfortable that if you hang out the rear from to much speed while grip driving you wont panic and live to tell about it. One of the worse feelings is to be approaching a turn and know your going too fast and trying to slow down and know your going to leave the road just because of the unbelievable amount of understeer your car has. I slowed down the car enough that I only went a few feet off the edge of the road . I would not of went off the road if I could of got the rear out because I had slowed down enough that If the car was pointing toward the inside of the corner instead of pointing straight I would of made it . hat was the beginning of my exploration into the subject more deeply .
It was not a mustang It was a 1978 Ford Fairmont Futura with no rear sway only a large front one. That was a long time ago .

I like to think of my driving style now as DRIFGRIP. Im sure there's a name other than that but that's what I call it because the objective is still speed and not lots of tire smoke.
Old 01-16-2009, 04:24 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

But oversteer isn't fast. Oversteer is the rear tires giving up before the fronts. A balanced car is faster than a loose one. For that matter a slightly tight car is generally fast than one prone to oversteer because oversteer forces you to bail from the throttle, you can drive through some understeer as long as you don't run out of road.
Old 01-16-2009, 06:19 PM
clintster77
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
But oversteer isn't fast. Oversteer is the rear tires giving up before the fronts. A balanced car is faster than a loose one. For that matter a slightly tight car is generally fast than one prone to oversteer because oversteer forces you to bail from the throttle, you can drive through some understeer as long as you don't run out of road.
I agree with that . I think the kind of understeer you can drive through is not necessarily the kind of understeer I hate. Accelerating after or before apex transfers load off the front tires and causes that kind of understeer/push . This is fine as long as on corner entry you can get the car to rotate enough to get in the throttle earlier but still not hang the rear out . This will give you the highest possible corner Exit speed. A car with corner exit understeer/push is not necessarily a car with no oversteer /but a car with good load transfer from front to rear.( corner entry rotation is more what I am after so I can point and shoot the car out of the corner in the same way you explained ) I just will never again be happy with a car that under no circumstances will give me an oversteer condition when I am trying to provoke some oversteer by at least one or more driving techniques .But I am not referring to a car that gives you a oversteer condition even when taking a smooth line at a consistent speed. ( This may be a definition of a balanced car ) .

I may have exaggerated how much oversteer I like because I have no one to compare it to most everyone that is into cars around here is almost all about drag racing .
You have way more organized racing experience than me so you have a standard to compare your car and driving technique with other racers. There is no doubt in my mind that I could adapt my driving style to any setup( given the chance. )
I like a car that I can make it do what I am trying to make it do.

Last edited by clintster77; 01-16-2009 at 07:15 PM. Reason: misspell
Old 01-16-2009, 08:38 PM
clintster77
2nd Gear Member

I started a new thread on this topic, sort of.mustangforums.com/forum/s197-handling-section/511076-everything-s197-handleing-lets-learn-somthing.html