Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Adj. Steeda panhard bar install question

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 08:37 PM
Doogie65
4th Gear Member

Unhappy Adj. Steeda panhard bar install question

I spent the afternoon installing some of my ever growing garage stash including CHE brackets, Steeda billet LCAs, GTA axle-backs, and Steeda adj. panhard bar. I'll elaborate later on some issues I ran into, but looking for feedback from someon who has installed the Steeda panhard bar.

First, I realized when about to install it that I did not have a large enough open end wrench for tightening the lock nuts. I did measure it with a caliper and came up with 1 1/8in - does that sound right as I need to pick one up to finish it??

Also, any tips on tightening the passenger side lock nut as that mounting area looks real tight and not sure a standard open-end will fit. I went ahead and finished the install, but need to pick up a wrench tomorrow for the lock nuts and want to ensure I get something that will work.
Old 01-17-2009, 08:57 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by Doogie65

Also, any tips on tightening the passenger side lock nut as that mounting area looks real tight and not sure a standard open-end will fit. I went ahead and finished the install, but need to pick up a wrench tomorrow for the lock nuts and want to ensure I get something that will work.
Haha. It's called "You're sh#t out of Luck"
You have to undo the passenger side in order to be able to turn that jam nut
BMR and others understand that, so the adjustments are on the driver side, where you can get at those jam nuts without taking one end off.
Old 01-17-2009, 08:57 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

The stock bolts are all metric so you should use metric socket sizes.
Old 01-17-2009, 09:22 PM
Doogie65
4th Gear Member

Pascal, that makes sense as it looked pretty tight in there... so this means I make the left to right adjustment to get things centered, then drop the passenger side to snug up the jam nut?? I knew the BMR and couple others had the nice center adjustment, but got a killer deal on this one brand new on fleabay and could not resist!

Sleeper... looking for the size of the Steeda panhard bar jam nut, not any of the stock nuts
Old 01-17-2009, 09:38 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Oops - sorry about that.

Those jam nut need to be tight - as I found out they can come loose and end up making a real racket when they do.
Old 01-17-2009, 09:52 PM
jahudso2
4th Gear Member

Might want to apply some blue locktite on your lock nuts as well to keep them in place.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:46 AM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jahudso2
Might want to apply some blue locktite on your lock nuts as well to keep them in place.
Agreed. You should use the blue Loctite on all of the suspension bolts you remove and reinstall.
Old 01-18-2009, 11:21 AM
Vapour Trails
3rd Gear Member

Yes it seems simple but is a major pain. You cannot torque it down on the car. Adjust it till you get the right length then drop the pass. side and torque (use locktite). You'll probably find it won't line up with the chassis hole when you try to re-install it. Get someone to push on the side of the car to line it up. Installing the panhard was easily the biggest pain of my entire suspension installation.
Old 01-18-2009, 11:59 AM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Vapour Trails
Yes it seems simple but is a major pain. You cannot torque it down on the car. Adjust it till you get the right length then drop the pass. side and torque (use locktite). You'll probably find it won't line up with the chassis hole when you try to re-install it. Get someone to push on the side of the car to line it up. Installing the panhard was easily the biggest pain of my entire suspension installation.
Have you tried replacing the front lower control arms? To do this you have to remove the two bolts that hold the steering rack in place. Lot's of fun
Old 01-18-2009, 12:05 PM
Doogie65
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Vapour Trails
After screwing around with it for an hour, I finally just set the right adjustment, marked and rotated the bar, then turned the jam nut until it was a bit past the new bar setting and snugged the bar up to the nut. I know this will not work long term, but since I was alone it was the best I could do.

Next time I have some help around (and before I drive it in the spring), I will get it torqued down correctly.

Yeah, that was a PITA as was having to enlarge the mounting holes on the LCA brackets as they did not quite line up. But at least I did all 3 at once, so no rework down the road!