Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Stock suspension: how aggressive can you drive?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 08:41 AM
Monkeyleg
2nd Gear Member

Default Stock suspension: how aggressive can you drive?

In another thread I was asking about the GT's stock suspension and drifting. I got a lot of useful answers.

I know that I won't get into drifting to any great extent, as I can't afford to be replacing tires and other parts frequently from such aggressive driving. And, really, there's almost nowhere for me to go to do some of the stuff I see in the online videos.

I took my 1st Mustang from the dealership to the storage building on 12/31. I'll have it out in April, and will be able to get a feel for how it corners, rolls, etc.

For now, though, I'm curious: how aggressive can you get in the turns with the stock suspension? Can you get the rear end to slide in turns without running the risk of losing control? Or do I just have a good car that's fast in straight lines?
Old 01-18-2009, 08:54 AM
Monkeyleg
2nd Gear Member

Just an example. Is this possible with a stock suspension, or has the car's suspension been modified, or is the Shelby's suspension that much stiffer than a stock GT?

Last edited by Monkeyleg; 01-18-2009 at 08:56 AM. Reason: fix URL
Old 01-18-2009, 08:58 AM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Monkeyleg
In another thread I was asking about the GT's stock suspension and drifting. I got a lot of useful answers.

I know that I won't get into drifting to any great extent, as I can't afford to be replacing tires and other parts frequently from such aggressive driving. And, really, there's almost nowhere for me to go to do some of the stuff I see in the online videos.

I took my 1st Mustang from the dealership to the storage building on 12/31. I'll have it out in April, and will be able to get a feel for how it corners, rolls, etc.

For now, though, I'm curious: how aggressive can you get in the turns with the stock suspension? Can you get the rear end to slide in turns without running the risk of losing control? Or do I just have a good car that's fast in straight lines?
I have never actually driven a stock GT hard as mine came delivered with the SC installed and then we did the wheel/tire/brake and suspension mods.

My understanding is that if you were given a ride in stock manual GT coupe on a fast road course by a good driver who was familar with the the car and the course you would be amazed. Make some simple and relatively inexpensive mods to things like wheels/tires shocks/struts and brakes and you may have to change your shorts after the run

Make some significant changes like adding an SC and R comps and proper suspension mods and it is the most fun you can have with your clothes on

The best way for you to see this might be to start by going to a local auto x event and getting someone to drive your car around.

For novices one of the most important rules is get as much seat time as possible, preferably with a good instructor.

Warning - it is highly addictive.
Attached Thumbnails Stock suspension: how aggressive can you drive?-dunnvilleaugust42008_0048.jpg   Stock suspension: how aggressive can you drive?-mosport_2008_img_2320.jpg  

Last edited by Sleeper_08; 01-18-2009 at 09:05 AM. Reason: added pics
Old 01-18-2009, 11:36 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Monkeyleg
Get a ride with an experienced autocrosser sometime. Ideally, somebody like Sam Strano. Although I have not ridden with him myself, I have watched him get the tail slightly loose on an autocross run without it coming 'round on him.

Norm
Old 01-18-2009, 07:17 PM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

I wouldn't put much stock in that video, who knows what kind of setup the car had, tires, wet asphalt, etc.

Sure, you can slide the rear end around a lot, its a front wt biased, stick axle, rear drive car. In a slalom you can drift all 4 wheels, Sam does it every run. But stock the car has a lot of understeer dialed in. This makes doing predictible tire burning drifts like you see on youTube very difficult. Can you be aggressive on the stock suspension? Absolutely, its a nice handling car but if you push it to far the majority of time this will end in serious "push" because thats what the stock suspension is designed to do. Can you turn the wheel hard while applying throttle and get the rear to drift out...you bet, no problem. But just try holding it for a few seconds, its hard because the stock suspension is not designed to do it, thats why drift cars have a lot of suspension mods.
Old 01-18-2009, 08:12 PM
jahudso2
4th Gear Member

Go to a big empty parkinglot next time it rains and play around. From my experience, it is really tough to hold the rear end out on these cars. I have driven a bmw e92 m3 in a wet parking lot and i could drift that thing all day long without losing control. It is very smooth and predictable. Our mustangs are not smooth or predictable and i highly advise trying to drift in a parkinglot before you try to do it on a curvy road and wreck your nice stang. Good luck and have fun! (oh and try not to get arrested haha)
Old 01-18-2009, 10:23 PM
Monkeyleg
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the replies.

As for trying it out first in an empty parking lot, forget it. I was planning on trying a few things on the I-294 bypass around Chicago at rush hour.
Old 01-19-2009, 06:16 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Aren't there easier ways to scare off tailgaters?

Norm