Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Car doesn't feel right around corners, what to get for 2nd susp mod?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 04:20 PM
jayel579
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Guys--

Further, this is the internet. Beware of what you read and put a ton of stock in. The links shown above read great, and do hold some good information. However, they come from a source that was never competitive with me, and was fond of claiming my cars are setup 65% of optimal compared to say... his. Meanwhile I was winning--am still am.
Agreed Sam, no question about it. He is just another opinion that is out there. I posted that link as another viewpoint that says to steer away from any Japanese damper. I have heard that statement from so many people I have autocross'd and tracked with.

As for the OP, I think it is pretty obvious that to solve most of the issues he is having would be to purchase a better set of dampers.
Old 01-22-2009, 05:44 PM
Texotic
5th Gear Member

Is Koni not Japanese?
Old 01-23-2009, 01:24 AM
Ford4me1

My suggestion of the panhard comes from my experience. When I lowered my car and before aligning the rearend I drove down the street. I came to a curve and felt like the car was going to spin out. Like the rear tire was flat. Of course it was more of a seat of the pants feel. Once adjusted she tracks and corners great.
Old 01-23-2009, 05:55 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Texotic
Is Koni not Japanese?
Nope. European (HQ in The Netherlands, IIRC).

Norm
Old 01-23-2009, 06:12 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jayel579
As for the OP, I think it is pretty obvious that to solve most of the issues he is having would be to purchase a better set of dampers.
That's probably part of the solution. But I think there's more to this, and shocks won't fix that part. Only some of it might be wheels/tires/alignment.

Norm
Old 01-23-2009, 10:57 AM
bolivianpimp
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
Two questions come to mind, (1) just how fast are you trying to take corners, and (2) what is your front tire pressure (and wheel width and tire size, since I'm not 'into' 20's myself)?
Norm
1) just maybe like 70 mph but the curve is not turning by much. This is on a highway!
2- 255/35/20 front and 275-35-20 back at probably 35 psi.

How can i check to see if i need an adjustable panhard bar.? Is it something i can see by getting underneath the axle? From what you and others with lowered cars are saying this could help because of the wider wheels and the lowered springs.
adjustable LCAs - i would really like to get these to reduce wheel hop. Would i need to get someone to align this or other parts? or can i do it myself? What brand is good?

"Sway" bars - so there are front and rear and they can be adjustible. what would be the best option with rear or front or both?
Old 01-23-2009, 11:55 AM
Ford4me1

Tape a piece of string with a a weight (socket) on both rear wheel fenders and measure from the string to the tire or wheel. The measurement should be equal on both. If not your rearend is not centered.
Old 01-23-2009, 12:53 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
That's probably part of the solution. But I think there's more to this, and shocks won't fix that part. Only some of it might be wheels/tires/alignment.

Norm
You have to start somewhere. This is a known weak link, and as far as I'm concerned the biggest issue a stock Mustang suspension has.

What's more is if you don't control your unsprung weight well (via poor damping) your tire will not maintain good contact patch with the road which results--obviously making for a car that isn't going to handle as well.

I don't disagree that there might be some other things that help, but you have to start somewhere, and I think the biggest and most obvious place is the wisest place to begin.

And I'll add this: If you want the car to work well, you don't want Sportlines.
Old 01-24-2009, 09:09 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Yes, shocks are a known patch.

I've been fishing for clues related to the control inputs themselves rather than vehicle response to them, and trying to avoid "contaminating" the answers by suggesting what I think might be going on. Without nearly as much success as I was hoping for. The internet makes for a terrible "right seat".

Norm
Old 02-17-2009, 01:59 PM
Ford4me1

Any updates on this situation?

Quick Reply: Car doesn't feel right around corners, what to get for 2nd susp mod?