Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Car doesn't feel right around corners, what to get for 2nd susp mod?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 09:19 AM
timothyrw
3rd Gear Member

it is also a possibility that his car IS set up better then yours but you are just the better driver...

maybe you should take his car for a spin and see if you don't get better times yourself?!

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Further, this is the internet. Beware of what you read and put a ton of stock in. The links shown above read great, and do hold some good information. However, they come from a source that was never competitive with me, and was fond of claiming my cars are setup 65% of optimal compared to say... his. Meanwhile I was winning--am still am.

Last edited by timothyrw; 02-19-2009 at 09:29 AM.
Old 02-19-2009, 10:40 AM
bolivianpimp
4th Gear Member

Yeah i will be looking to buy shocks in the near future, as well as lower control arms. That should hold me off for a while?
Old 02-20-2009, 11:17 PM
jahudso2
4th Gear Member

Any car is going to understeer if you enter the corner too fast. Try going easier in, and harder out. Its a much more fun way of driving and you wont understeer like crazy. I put tokico d-specs on and i found that a half turn from hard on the rear and 1.5 turns from hard on the front make my car pretty neutral. It will understeer if i go into a corner too hot and oversteer if i brake or lift off the throttle in the middle of a turn. Having much wider tires in the rear than the front also creates more grip in the rear than the front which causes understeer. If you dont know what understeer is, its when your front tires loose grip before your rears and it causes your car to go straight through a turn instead of turning with the turn like you described. I would alter your driving first, then get some adjustable dampers.
Old 02-21-2009, 07:10 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Actually, understeer begins somewhat earlier when the front tires end up having to operate at larger slip angles than the rear tires. Entering a corner too hot means that you are most likely trying to dial in steering faster than the car and its front tires can respond. You may actually be steering them past their peak-grip slip angle, where still more steering input ends up giving you less in terms of the car going where you want it to go.

Lifting or braking throws load forward and plants the front tires reducing their slip angles. The opposite effect happens out back where the now greater slip angles there result in the tail stepping out a bit. Or a lot. This isn't limited only to when you're driving up near the limit, just that it happens to a greater extent and more suddenly up there.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 02-21-2009 at 09:37 AM. Reason: word out of order
Old 02-21-2009, 07:59 AM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
.....Or a lot. This isn't limited only to when you're driving up near the limit, just that it happens to a greater extent and more suddenly up there.

Norm

And you remember a lot more vividly what happens at the limit! Fortunately there was just enough run off area.