Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Car doesn't feel right around corners, what to get for 2nd susp mod?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 10:19 PM
Texotic
5th Gear Member

Shocks & struts.

I wouldn't switch to the Sportlines if handling is the priority... get ready to hit the bumpstops a lot. Now if you're just going for looks, then yeah, throw on the Sportlines.
Old 01-21-2009, 10:29 PM
chp2150
1st Gear Member

What I meant by the shotgun approach was just buying stuff to solve a piece of the puzzle. People like Norm and Sam have the right approach. They have provided more of a "systems" approach to solve your total handling concerns, where the recommended parts will work well together.

The 20" wheels and minimal side-wall tires are not doing you any favors in the handling dept.
Old 01-21-2009, 11:02 PM
chp2150
1st Gear Member

http://farnorthracing.com/autocross_secrets6.html[/QUOTE]

That's an excellent link!
Old 01-22-2009, 02:46 AM
ILikeBond
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jayel579
Just read this link, about a quarter of the way down it says "Buying Shocks". You do NOT have to ready everything on this page but at least read that section.

http://farnorthracing.com/autocross_secrets6.html
^^ Wow, good link.
Old 01-22-2009, 02:59 AM
Ford4me1

Question

Originally Posted by bolivianpimp
I have an 08 gt manual with the only suspension mod as eibach pro springs. As you can see i also have 20" wheels. I need something to help my stang handle better because i cannot go fast around corners. It feels like im about to slide away. So, what could i buy for suspension, what brand and how much are they usually. Also, how hard is the install? Also, i do not want to buy shocks yet and i know to get the tokico d spec.
Did you install a new panhard bar? It is possible the rear end is to one side and this is what you are feeling on corners.
Old 01-22-2009, 11:13 AM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Guys--

A few things to consider here.

First it's seemingly being overlooked that his unsprung weight went up from OE. Also that the stock shocks are far from great to start with (just ask anyone who's only change those from OE to a really good set).

Further, this is the internet. Beware of what you read and put a ton of stock in. The links shown above read great, and do hold some good information. However, they come from a source that was never competitive with me, and was fond of claiming my cars are setup 65% of optimal compared to say... his. Meanwhile I was winning--am still am.

I have two @ S197's I drive weekly. My GT and my girlfriend Marcy's V-6 car that we put all GT suspension on (GT springs, bars and my GT dampers). My car only differs from her's in that I have the Koni's, 17" wheels and a 8.8" axle. I acutally have more unsprung weight than her car, but yet mine is much more composed and stuck to the road. It also rides better with less impact harshness and the back end doesn't dance around over any little imperfection like her car (and mine when I had OE shocks).

This is a case where we are comparing apples to apples, no other aftermarket parts, so I get a crystal clear picture of what the dampers do head to head. They are the FIRST suspension mod I'll make to any S197 that someone is seeking to improve the driveability on. It's even more important with changes to unsprung weight, and/or springs.
Old 01-22-2009, 12:21 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Websense won't let me see that site here at work, though I have a pretty good idea whose it is - and there is good information to be found there. But I don't think I was in lock-step agreement with everything on it either, not when it was first put up, anyway.

bolivian - I'm still having difficulty understanding what you think is happening, still don't know which end is sliding first that causes you to lift off the throttle. Also, "wanting to slide into the curve" doesn't seem to match "wanting to go straight".
i let go of the throttle when it wants to slide. It will want to slide into the curve. so if the road is turning left, my car will keep wanting to go straight.

Norm
Old 01-22-2009, 02:17 PM
bolivianpimp
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
bolivian - I'm still having difficulty understanding what you think is happening, still don't know which end is sliding first that causes you to lift off the throttle. Also, "wanting to slide into the curve" doesn't seem to match "wanting to go straight".
Norm
Sorry, what i meant to say is that the car does not want to turn WITH the road. So if the road curves left, I steer my car left but it seems like i dont have much control and the car wants to go straight(which is the curve).

I definitely appreciate your help guys. One thing though i know 1.5" drop and 20's are not a good suspension additive, i will definitely keep both because i like the look on the car.
So dampers will make the back end not jump around as much? and which ones are good?
I do not have an adjustable panhard, will that adjust my rear end for the drop?
I guess shocks are definitely needed and will improve the ride much. I just cant fork out the $$ for them right now.

1 more thing, what will lower control arms and sway bars do?
Old 01-22-2009, 02:35 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by bolivianpimp
Sorry, what i meant to say is that the car does not want to turn WITH the road. So if the road curves left, I steer my car left but it seems like i dont have much control and the car wants to go straight(which is the curve).
Two questions come to mind, (1) just how fast are you trying to take corners, and (2) what is your front tire pressure (and wheel width and tire size, since I'm not 'into' 20's myself)?

So dampers will make the back end not jump around as much? and which ones are good?
Konis
D-specs
maybe Bilsteins
everything else

I do not have an adjustable panhard, will that adjust my rear end for the drop?
Yes. The adjustability allows you to laterally center the axle. The PHB moves the axle laterally as the car is lowered, and the axle may not be centered closely enough for wide rear tires to begin with.

1 more thing, what will lower control arms and sway bars do?
Aftermarket lower control arms (LCAs) typically ship with stiffer bushings that generally resist wheel hop better than the OE rubber bushings. Mostly, you're buying for the bushings . . . unless,

. . . you buy adjustable LCAs. These can be used to adjust pinion angle or get the rear axle steered straight (thrust angle = zero to the alignment guy) by altering their length via a screw adjustment mechanism.

"Sway" bars (more properly stabilizer bars, or sta-bars) are used to shift the handling balance and reduce the amount of roll in turns. Just what you want to change about the handling (more or less understeer, less or more oversteer) determines what you do here (bigger/smaller/adjustable/none) with either or both (front/rear).

Don't count on the rear bar to have much effect on how much roll you get, or plan to get one for that reason alone.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 01-22-2009 at 02:40 PM.
Old 01-22-2009, 04:17 PM
ILikeBond
1st Gear Member

Sounds to me like OP is describing understeer as his most noticeable and unwanted issue... That can be addressed significantly (I believe) and relatively cheaply with an aftermarket rear sway bar, such as BMR or Steeda.

I'll let the gurus speak now...

Quick Reply: Car doesn't feel right around corners, what to get for 2nd susp mod?