Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Brake Pads for a Daily Driver?

Old 01-30-2009, 10:06 AM
dvs4.6
2nd Gear Member

use the HPS pads, they are excellent. i have used them for the last three years, on both track and street. they are also very gentle on your rotors, helps keep cost down. the dust is actually less then the OEM pads.
Old 01-30-2009, 01:37 PM
nbd13
2nd Gear Member

Hey everyone,

Thanks for the responses! So a few conclusions or questions if you will....

1. The best street pads out there are the Carbotech Bobcat 1521 street pads, but are very expensive? How long should these pads last me? I don't mind paying for the best as long as they truly are worth it? ARE THESE QUIET? WHAT ABOUT DUST WITH THESE?????

2. With the Hawk HPS pads, are the quiet on slow stops? Also, will you be able to hear a squeal when you are stopping if you are on the outside of the car? My car is a convertible and the top is down quite a bit, so any noise that someone standing on the outside of the car is noise that I will be able to hear.

I think I have narrowed it down to the Carbotech Bobcat 1521 street pads or the Hawk HPS pads....any more arguments for or against either one?

Thanks again,

Nick
Old 01-30-2009, 02:16 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

I personally run HPS's for street and autox. I use different compound Hawks for track days. I also stock Ceramics and HP Pluses as well as other brands, but keep many more sets of HPS's handy because it's what I recommend 90% of the time.

Basically the HPS's offer good bite, work cold and will take a fair amount of abuse, the HPS's suit me very well. In fact I work the brakes hard enough autoxing that we've cracked the OEM pads and turn the rotors blue in the front, and HPS's take that just fine and still work cold.
Old 01-30-2009, 02:44 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by nbd13
2. With the Hawk HPS pads, are the quiet on slow stops? Also, will you be able to hear a squeal when you are stopping if you are on the outside of the car? My car is a convertible and the top is down quite a bit, so any noise that someone standing on the outside of the car is noise that I will be able to hear.
I've never heard anything from them in either car. Nor has my wife, whose hearing at certain frequencies is better than mine.

Norm
Old 01-30-2009, 03:00 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by nbd13
Hey everyone,

I think I have narrowed it down to the Carbotech Bobcat 1521 street pads or the Hawk HPS pads....any more arguments for or against either one?

Nick
Did you see this on the Carbotech website http://www.ctbrakes.com/faqs#compounds1

"2. Do I have to resurface (turn) the rotors, or get new rotors?
If you have had another manufacturers brake pads on those same rotors; then you will ABSOLUTELY have to replace or resurface (turn) those rotors before installing the Carbotech brake pads.

If the rotors and drums are in relatively good condition, meaning they are smooth, flat, with no visible cracks, deep scoring, distorted, and with no other visible damage; and you have ONLY had Carbotech brake pads on them, then they do not have to be resurfaced or replaced. "
Old 01-30-2009, 03:33 PM
dvs4.6
2nd Gear Member

the hps pads are absolutely quiet, and do not create dust. i can only say that for the money they can't be beat. by the sounds of it, they seem to be what you need.
Old 01-30-2009, 06:44 PM
houstonnw
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sleeper_08
Did you see this on the Carbotech website http://www.ctbrakes.com/faqs#compounds1

"2. Do I have to resurface (turn) the rotors, or get new rotors?
If you have had another manufacturers brake pads on those same rotors; then you will ABSOLUTELY have to replace or resurface (turn) those rotors before installing the Carbotech brake pads.

If the rotors and drums are in relatively good condition, meaning they are smooth, flat, with no visible cracks, deep scoring, distorted, and with no other visible damage; and you have ONLY had Carbotech brake pads on them, then they do not have to be resurfaced or replaced. "
I called them about that because they also suggest that you don't use new pads with new or turned rotors. So if you've never had Carbotech pads it is a Catch 22.

They said to lightly sand your existing rotors and then bed the new pads.
Old 01-30-2009, 08:01 PM
mikeysGT
4th Gear Member

i might go with the hps pads then after reading this since i only do drag racing every other weekend usually. just a fast driven daily driver most of the time
Old 01-31-2009, 10:50 AM
Red06
2nd Gear Member

I ran HPS pads for two years and think they are a great street pad. The grip is significantly better than stock and the dust is reasonable in street use.
Old 03-01-2009, 02:57 PM
UrS4
4th Gear Member

I'm using the ceramic posi pads in the Stoptech stage 1 brake kit from Brenspeed. The pads have better intial bite, are whisper quiet and dust about as mush as stock. I got the kit right after Brenspeed switched from Hawk HPS pads to this new brand and they said they were equal performers.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brake Pads for a Daily Driver?