Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

J&M extreme joint LCA's?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 07:01 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Default J&M extreme joint LCA's?

http://www.lmperformance.com/53001/73.html

Anyone using these? I'm wondering if it's a better option than a spherical bearing. By better, I mean less NVH, but still prevent binding.

Last edited by moosestang; 02-15-2009 at 07:12 AM.
Old 02-15-2009, 10:58 AM
Texotic
5th Gear Member

Interesting... those look pretty cool. Do they make an adjustable set with those bushings?
Old 02-15-2009, 11:16 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

No adjustable ones, but I always recommend an adjustable upper for changing pinion angle, which I all ready have. My adjustable CHE LCA's broke, which is why i'm shopping for new ones.

It's between these or the Sphon adjustable ones with the spherical/poly bushings. Interestingly, Sphon doesn't make a non adjuster lower control arm with spherical/poly bushing combo.
Old 02-15-2009, 11:37 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

I'm no engineer, but why doesn't someone make a poly/poly lca that swivels at the bar or right in front of the mounting point? That way you could have good articulation like with a spherical bushing, but there's be less NVH. Maybe having the bar swivel would be to weak or expensive.
Old 02-15-2009, 01:36 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

I'm not sure what keeps the joint in the control arm. Looking at the pictures on their website, it looks like the control arm would slide back and forth on the joint and bang into the mount.
Old 02-15-2009, 07:34 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Well I know how the joint is held in place. Got this reply from J&M.

"They are held in with a machined lip on one side and a spiral lock on the other side."

I knew there had to be more than two washers.
Old 02-15-2009, 09:00 PM
Texotic
5th Gear Member

I'd be interested in seeing an exploded view of how it all goes together. If you get these, would you mind putting up some detailed picks of the joint?
Old 02-15-2009, 10:25 PM
Philostang
3rd Gear Member

I don't have the metal version (Extreme), but I do run their Poly-Ball version. The two seem to be a very similar style, that is, the same basic design solution seems to have been employed in the bushing.

I swapped out the OEM arms for these at the drag strip, so I got an immediate back-to-back comparison in that venue. The notorious wheel hop from the factory was immediately gone and my 60' times improved (which for me, is to say they went from pathetic to just bad). Anyway, I have also run these on the street in daily commuting as well as at the track during open lapping sessions. I've been very pleased with their performance and recall virtually no NVH increase.

With the Extreme's metal center section fully encased in the poly caps, I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't much more increase in NVH over the non-existent increase from the Poly-Ball.

FWIW, if they had developed the Extreme at the time I got mine, I would have gone with these. But then again, I've found that I'm not very bothered by increased NVH, if it means better performance (I now run Steeda's adj. comp. upper CA, and that thing really let's you know she's there).

Best,
-j
Old 02-15-2009, 10:41 PM
owero01
5th Gear Member

I went with the Metcos for strengh. I had Spohns before the Metcos and the bushings blew. I have the Spohn adjustable uca.
Old 02-16-2009, 04:11 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by owero01
I went with the Metcos for strengh. I had Spohns before the Metcos and the bushings blew. I have the Spohn adjustable uca.

Did you have the spohn poly/poly or spherical/poly?

Quick Reply: J&M extreme joint LCA's?