Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Suspension suggestions for street carving

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 09:16 PM
Texas Stang

Default Suspension suggestions for street carving

I'm looking to get less body roll and tightening up the rear slop for mostly street driving with some road racing. I do not want to lower my car, so lowering springs are not an option. I was thinking of a rear sway bar (that does not require greasing) and a panhard bar. I was told that if I also get a front sway bar with the rear sway bar, I would suffer from under steer.

I thought about the UCA and LCA's, but it sounds like that is more for drag racing. Please let me know of any suggestions. Thanks.
Old 03-08-2009, 04:45 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

replacing your front and rear sway bars will help with roll control of the body...panhard bar will help too.... UCA and LCA's will help control wheel hop!
Old 03-08-2009, 10:20 AM
Robert S.

I would spend my money on Konis, tires, alignment and adj panhard if any left in the budget.
Old 03-08-2009, 10:53 AM
BiteTheBullitt

i went koni's, vogtlandgt500 springs, non adjustable lca's, and added a fays2 watts link. i believe that next i am going for adjustable front sway bar links. don't forget to address your tire set up. switching to from 235's to 255's all around will make a noticeable difference. i went 285's rear and 255's front. i have a very neutral feel and the car loves the throttle a little earlier coming out of the corners.
Old 03-08-2009, 11:13 AM
Texotic
5th Gear Member

You're going to want dampers, probably Koni Sports. I have Steeda's rear swaybar with the stock front and could tell a huge difference after putting it on; the car now feels a lot more neutral and doesn't understeer near as much. Get a PHB to go with it all and you should be good to go. You could also get a set of adjustable sway bars and set the rear to a stiffer setting than the front to help reduce understeer.
Old 03-08-2009, 02:47 PM
Texas Stang

Thanks for the responses. I assume that I can use the Koni's with the stock springs. Also, are these Koni's adjustable? If so, how difficult are they to adjust?

Also, I plan on getting some 255's when I wear out my 235's.
Old 03-08-2009, 03:01 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Texas Stang
Thanks for the responses. I assume that I can use the Koni's with the stock springs. Also, are these Koni's adjustable? If so, how difficult are they to adjust?

Also, I plan on getting some 255's when I wear out my 235's.
You want the Koni's that are adjustable. Sam Strano has them on sale right now - http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...D=64&ModelID=5

They work with the stock springs. For a detailed discussion of their benefits see this thread https://mustangforums.com/forum/s197...nis-again.html

Based on what users have said in other threads they are easy to adjust and you should be able to set all four in less than 10 minutes.

Last edited by Sleeper_08; 03-08-2009 at 03:04 PM.
Old 03-08-2009, 07:59 PM
03fridge

I've got the koni adjustables...purchased from Sam Strano on my 05 Gt. If you are in/near the San Antonio area I'd be happy to have you come over and check them out, take a ride to see the difference.
Old 03-08-2009, 09:05 PM
Texas Stang

Originally Posted by 03fridge
I've got the koni adjustables...purchased from Sam Strano on my 05 Gt. If you are in/near the San Antonio area I'd be happy to have you come over and check them out, take a ride to see the difference.
Thanks, but I'm in Houston.
Old 03-09-2009, 01:47 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

You've heard from a lot of folks with upgraded shocks. Some have other things, some don't. The reason they are recommending such a move (and I agree with starting with the shocks/struts) is because they've seen the difference.

So what's that mean? Well, here's how a set of Koni's would improve the car vs. stock dampers.

It'll ride better, less harsh. The rear will stay much more planted to the ground and just be a whole lot less jumpy and nervous and more stable. Those are two of the biggest complaints many have. But that's not all. While shock damping does not control how much body roll you get, it directly controls how fast the roll is generated. Better damping (and the fact you can adjust it) allows the car roll slower, and actually change direction faster. And the other thing that Koni's help with is the light feeling as the speed climbs. Again, better damping makes for a more taut and secure car.

The thing that makes German cars drive so well? Much better OE dampers than what American cars have.

Quick Reply: Suspension suggestions for street carving