Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Front Passenger Side Clunk Fixed BUT Steering Not Precise

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 11:05 AM
2006gtmike
2nd Gear Member

Default Front Passenger Side Clunk Fixed BUT Steering Not Precise

The only suspension modification I have had done to the front of my car have been the Koni Yellow Struts with Vogtland GT500 Springs and Steeda HD Upper Strut Mounts.

A loose bolt was found on the front right passenger side and it was tightened 1 full turn and the clunking over bumps went away!

At the same time the clunk was fixed, I had the Whipple HO kit installed on my car which adds some heft to the front of my car.

So while driving my car at highway speeds I felt my car drifting away from me to the right hand side and stuttering or acting jittery, especially in the rain. It feels almost like the stock 05-09 rear suspension in a Mustang does when it wants to dance/hop around, but it's more in the front.

I figured it was my tires, because my stock Pirelli's were 2/32 tread depth or less all around.

So I got 4 new stock Pirelli's installed and they seem to have helped with the drifting away feeling, but now when I turn my steering wheel my car seems to want to keep steering and not steer as precise as it once did. For example, if I turn the steering wheel and stop turning, the car is still turning some, like oversteer.

I wonder if this is because of:
1) The Whipple pig,
2) The fact that I drive with no TCS on anymore,
3) Need an alignment?
4) 500 Mile break-in-period for brand new tires?
5) Strut, Spring, Bar, Bracket issue? and/or
6) OR is it just me?

I was thinking I need to upgrade the front or rear swaybars to make up for the weight of the Whipple, because I can't throw my car around like I could pre-Whipple. I don't feel as confident in my cars handling now. It feels like I have a baby elephant sitting on the front of my hood.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be cool.

Last edited by 2006gtmike; 03-10-2009 at 11:08 AM.
Old 03-10-2009, 03:45 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

What you are feeling may be the effect of adding the weight of SC plus intercooler plus fluid etc thus aggravating the original front end weight bias.

Has the alignment been checked after the mods and the SC was installed? If so what is the front end set at.

You can probably get the car to handle the way you want but it will depend on how far you want to go with the mods (see my sig). Mine with the Roush SC, which I believe is lighter than the Whipple, handles pretty well. This is according to my brother who is used to driving Porsches!