Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

BMR sway bar delete

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 06:07 PM
Vcoat
3rd Gear Member

Default BMR sway bar delete

I bought the BMR K- Member and now i am considering the sway bar delete piece for additional weight savings. I am wondering how much the driveability will suffer especially manuvering around corners ? I will be installing a 5.0 stroker(iron block) and i do have the tokico struts . If anyone has expierence with this piece please share your thoughts as to what i can expect...thanks !!!

http://www.lmperformance.com/5789/73.html
Old 03-13-2009, 06:30 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Moved to handling.... I would not do it unless you use the car for drag purposes....the front end of the car will weigh more because of the iron block and the S/C and at higher speeds the front sway bar will help to keep the fat front end stabilized and prevent any weird "sway" from happening if you drive on any roads with turns (esp on freeways with gradual turns that become harder turns (faster) and shift the weight) causing instability at high speeds.... I read on this before and Sam or Norm would be a great help...Lito and Rodeoflyer can help greatly too (and offer different perspectives.....JMO
Old 03-14-2009, 08:00 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

T T T
Old 03-14-2009, 08:08 AM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

The issue of sway bar deletion has been discussed several times in this forum. It is generally not recommended if you drive the car on the street for the reasons above.

Personally I can't imagine anyone taking the risk of damaging/destroying the car and/or hurting/killing someone is worth the total advertised weight savings of 26.5 lbs.
Old 03-14-2009, 08:45 AM
Ato
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sleeper_08
The issue of sway bar deletion has been discussed several times in this forum. It is generally not recommended if you drive the car on the street for the reasons above.

Personally I can't imagine anyone taking the risk of damaging/destroying the car and/or hurting/killing someone is worth the total advertised weight savings of 26.5 lbs.
I think sometimes people get caught up in being able to have a huge list of things to rattle off in the car w/o looking at the reason or the benefit it may provide. Unless you are gutting your car and making it stripe only what's the point? 26 lbs is .025 seconds, even the best drivers probably have a margin of error of higher then that on a single pass.
Old 03-14-2009, 10:40 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

I've had the front swaybar out for over two years on my daily driver. I've had to take evasive action a couple of times with no issues (deer in road, basketball that got away from the neighborhood kids, etc). Unless you take turns like Mario Andretti, you'll never even notice that it's gone. The difference you see at the track is not only due to weight savings (minimal), but also due to your front suspension being able to travel higher for a longer period of time during launch.
Old 03-15-2009, 06:25 AM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

If you looking for some other opinions here are other threads that have discussed the
subject

https://mustangforums.com/forum/s197...he-street.html

https://mustangforums.com/forum/s197...oval-poll.html

https://mustangforums.com/forum/s197...e-and-stb.html

More can be found using the Search This Forum button and searching on - sway bar delete
Old 03-15-2009, 01:14 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by nineinchnail1024
The difference you see at the track is not only due to weight savings (minimal), but also due to your front suspension being able to travel higher for a longer period of time during launch.
You can get most of that effect just by disconnecting one of the front bar's endlinks (I think it's preferable to do this to the driver side one).

What you mostly see from the driver's seat is the combination of front end rise and roll due to engine torque reaction. This roll causes the DS to rise higher - and the PS to rise somewhat less (which you don't tend to notice). It's not the total front end rise that losing the weight of the bar does for you, it's the chassis roll under engine torque reaction that you now force back toward the rear suspension. A deactivated bar lets nearly the same amount of roll "re-plant" the RR as removing it entirely would. On the streets, you get less grip and less roll (that you'd like to convert into RR planting) anyway.

Norm
Old 03-16-2009, 11:22 PM
One Bad Stang
4th Gear Member

i took my front sway bar off 2 weeks ago to go to the drags. i drive on the freeway regularly and i do my share of spirited driving. i have to say, i dont know if its my springs and strut bar that make it different, but i swear the car doesnt have understeer anymore. it's like removing the front sway bar created oversteer, which is more fun for me because i like to hang the a$$ out arround corners. in all reality, it's probably slower around a road track, but it's more fun, thats for sure.
Old 03-16-2009, 11:37 PM
Texotic
5th Gear Member

Of course it eliminates understeer... you have a rear sway bar and no front bar. When you want to dial out understeer, one of the main ways is to increase the stiffness of the rear bar relative to the front bar, if you fully eliminate the front bar, the car will be extremely oversteer happy. It may be more fun, but it's less capable and more dangerous.

Quick Reply: BMR sway bar delete