Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

What else would I need?

Old 04-08-2009, 08:49 AM
pwrl3ss
2nd Gear Member

Default What else would I need?

Hi all,

I got my springs and I'm about to buy struts now. What else would I need if I did not want to reuse any of the parts from the OE springs/struts? Would it make swapping them out easier?

Thanks
Old 04-08-2009, 10:29 AM
UrS4
4th Gear Member

if you also replace the strut mounts in the front with steeda or MM stuff, you should be able to take the whole assembly out as a unit and not worry a spring compressor
Old 04-08-2009, 12:07 PM
dvs4.6
2nd Gear Member

You can also use the GT500 mounts, which are just a hair under 30% more durable then OEM and cost about 70% less then the Steeda's. Although the Steedas allow a good measure of adjustability and are designed more for track days. Again, need to ask yourself if you are going to track her or just want to do it right for the street. Their are plenty of threads on this topic, just research and you will find your answers that best suit your needs.

Good Luck
Old 04-09-2009, 08:15 AM
pwrl3ss
2nd Gear Member

Thanks guys. I would like to take her to the track (Solo or Autox) at some point, but for the most part I do not plan on getting too serious. I did find GT500 mounts on ebay for $60 (they called said they were for the 2007 SVT mustang); should they be sufficient?

I've checked out other posts and I have a pretty good idea as to what I want, I just need to make sure I'm not missing something. For example, on TacoBill's write up on replacing the front springs, he puts some type of rubber cover on the bottom of the spring; do I still need that if I'm going with new struts/springs/mount? I'm planning to give this a go on my own and I'm just trying to make it as simple as possible by having the strut and spring "preassembled" without having to deal with spring compressors and the risk of decapitating myself.

Thanks
Old 04-09-2009, 09:06 AM
Ato
4th Gear Member

The rubber cover I think you are refering to is just the factory dust cover that you reuse over with your new struts. As for new strut mounts, you can reuse them, I did and had no problems. Other people have reported a popping sound coming from the front end after reassembling the front suspension, but that seems to be the bearings coming out of the race, if you are careful with the factory mounts you should be able to resue them without a problem. If you want to be sure buy the gt500 ones, if you need some extra camber adjustment get the Steedas, if you like saving money and only replacing parts as needed and don't mind doing the work twice if needed save the stockers. Finally on spring compressors, just got rent a set from Autozone, it doesn't cost anything and can save a lot of time and energy.
Old 04-09-2009, 11:04 AM
dvs4.6
2nd Gear Member

PWRL3SS,

YOU DON'T WANT TO TRACK YOUR CAR, i said that three years ago and have not stopped since. Carefull what you expose yourself to, this is a very addicting hobby/sport. Back to your initial question, 2007, 2008, 2009 all the same. you'll be just fine. you are starting out, so modify as you need and can afford. lot's of the write ups are from drivers with a vast history in road racing and sometimes as a newbie you can get cought up in all the hype. i believe replacing the mounts with the gt500's at the same time will save $ and will performe better in the long run (even if you plan on tracking her one day).
Old 04-09-2009, 01:19 PM
BMRFabricationSales
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by pwrl3ss
Hi all,

I got my springs and I'm about to buy struts now. What else would I need if I did not want to reuse any of the parts from the OE springs/struts? Would it make swapping them out easier?

Thanks
A spring compressor might be needed. Do you have an adjustable panhard bar? You probably going to need one. After you get your springs installed check your rear tires to see if one side is sticking out further than the other. If you have any questions please give me a call.

Search this Thread