Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Impression of FRPP Handling Pack?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 05:53 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Legion5
So you're saying that the koni's have a better designed variable oraffice valving bleed than stock. Which of these don't? Saleen, D-spec, Roush.

The answer is that at least the Saleens and D-specs do, and probably all of them. The stock dampners aren't a very good design to begin with which I'm sure you'll agree with which is why aftermarket dampers of any sort are an improvment. I didn't say that a car had to ride harsher to be better my weekend car is SOFTER than common suspention packages and handles much better, nor do I think that. My point is that compared to the competition, the difference between Konis and a full suspention would have to have the konis set harsh to get similar grip. The only answer is springs and sway bars.

I can guarantee when my car had the steeda suspention it would have handled better than your koni DD with the same tires and no reasonable increase in harshness.

Maybe using konis on a stock car is so much better than everything else to make it the best option, I haven't tried them but honestly that sounds far from right though.
You are so, so missing the point. The point is very simply this: You can improve handling, while making the car less harsh. It's a red herring to argue about which suspension in this context. Hell you haven't even defined "handling" which is an abstract term anyway. Handling just how much roll, or how much grip, or balance--it's a combination of those things, and more. Like, how well does the car deal with bumps. Roads aren't smooth all the time (and neither are autox courses or road courses).

And your 1.18 number you tossed out, sorry--not on real street tires (as opposed to DOT legal R-comps like the Hoosiers I race on). I can put numbers higher than that (and can prove it on video) with lowly old Ford Racing springs, bars, and Koni's.... and only on 18x8.5" wheels too. Griggs uses Hoosier to claim numbers, and Steeda uses Nitto R comps. I can play that game too, and with me I can SHOW you the numbers the car can pull via my videos.

I don't know how to prove you wrong on you assumption that the dampers can't make the car ride better while improving response, roll rate, pitch rate and stability. The proof is in the pudding, and Jayel has seen it. I've seen it, and more than a few others on this site have experienced it first hand. If you doubt, you can even cruise over the IMBOC and see some Bullitt owners I've worked with who stated the car feels better in ride, even after adding stiffer lowering springs (in some cases Steeda's).
Old 04-21-2009, 05:56 PM
Steves07GTCS
1st Gear Member

Sorry this turned into such a hotly debated topic. If I can interrupt briefly, I see that you can all at least agree that the FRPP Handling Pack is no good. Fair enough. Any replacement suggestions? I'm just looking for about a 1" drop and a tighter ride, but I drive up and down city streets often enough to not want anything beyond that. Thanks guys.

Steve
Old 04-22-2009, 08:38 AM
dvs4.6
2nd Gear Member

Steve,
As i recall you initially said that you had no intentions of using you car at the track or strip. Well, then if you like the FRPP suspension and what it offers and don't mind the price it is still very good. granted you can get the same results for less money, but as i see in your sig. you apparently are very pleased with FRPP products. So stick with what makes you comfortable. NO ONE on this thread or site is going to be driving your car. take the adivice given earlier and go test drive a Shelby Gt (not the Gt500) and judge for your self. they really handle great for your daily drive and will performe admirally on the track (if ever you decide too). much suprise to some of our members on this site that loose the the idea that Not All are Handling fanatics and can even tell the difference between 1.18g and .9g. Most guys on this site wont ever see the north side of 1.0g. some just enjoy driving their cars on a sunny day with the windows down. nough said!
Old 04-22-2009, 10:11 AM
jayel579
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Steves07GTCS
Sorry this turned into such a hotly debated topic. If I can interrupt briefly, I see that you can all at least agree that the FRPP Handling Pack is no good. Fair enough. Any replacement suggestions? I'm just looking for about a 1" drop and a tighter ride, but I drive up and down city streets often enough to not want anything beyond that. Thanks guys.

Steve
No need to aplogize, this is what you get when you ask for opinions on the internet. Esepcially with so many deticated track guys in this section who try so hard not to steer people in the wrong direction with incorrect information. These cars a terrific handling wise right off the show room floor, only a few minor improvements are needed to make them even better.

But for my suggestion, I think for what you are looking to get you can get the FFRP (a.k.a. Eibach) springs with a set of Koni yellows and you will be fine. Like I said with my original post, you will get what you are looking for and for less money. I have Koni yellows on stock springs, no one that has driven my car has ever said my car handles rough, firm but not hard.

Last edited by jayel579; 04-22-2009 at 10:16 AM.
Old 04-22-2009, 12:57 PM
thedrod
3rd Gear Member

Legion5,

In your opinion, what suspension setup should a S197 go with for the best bang for buck results?

I assuming you aren't running the Saleen suspension anymore.
Old 04-22-2009, 01:00 PM
thedrod
3rd Gear Member

Steve
Legion5 always makes this forum interesting creating very interesting and informative debates. They sometimes get pretty heated.....just don't bring up tire choices again...
Old 04-22-2009, 03:13 PM
ov3r
1st Gear Member

lol man i need to start reading this section again ... great times...
Old 04-22-2009, 03:17 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Steve

Why are you sorry? Why does everyone thing debate is bad? I don't get it.....

The FRPP pack isn't horrible. In fact the bars are very nice, the springs are ok. I'm not at all crazy about the dampers. I autox an SGT, it's really fast and well balanced with the very minimal mods I can do in that particular class. I think it's a little low for my tastes and daily use, I'd go with different springs on a street car. But the bars are very well balanced. In fact those bars (though Eibach branded--they build them) are one of my two favorite choices for the car. The other being the Hotchkis which are much larger at both end, but well balanced front to rear and the rear is adjustable as well (and hollow too).

FWIW, though I don't have them yet from my distributor, FRPP now has a part number for 1" lowering springs for a GT...

I hate to be so blunt, but sometimes it has to happen: If you drive an SGT you'll see how a complete FR3 setup feels. But if you had the chance to drive the very same car with better shocks, you'd see an improvement in ride quality immediately--everything else the very same. So if you keep in mind that not all cars on those springs will ride the same way (not even counting things like various wheels and tires that effect ride), then it's a good start.

I feel I can put together a better kit for your individual needs--that's what I do for folks. But if you want a turn-key setup, sure you can certainly go that way....
Old 04-22-2009, 05:40 PM
SlideWRX
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Legion5
So either you make your handeling good for a niche like I said or you make it harsher, there's no other way around it unless you use voodoo magic.

Ask ANY engineer who's familiar with suspention design and they'll tell you the same.
As an engineer who is familiar with suspension design, I'd say no. Handling is low frequency inputs, ride quality is high frequency. Sure you can Lincoln Town Car ride quality with reducing low frequency damping, but it isn't the only way. If you want to feel like you are driving a boat, it's the way to go!
Old 04-22-2009, 06:49 PM
Ato
4th Gear Member

While I'm not nearly as knowledgeable as many of the others on this forum in regards to handling I can tell you one thing for certain; just replace one or two pieces at a time and drive the car for a while to see if you are happy w/ it before you go ***** to the wall replacing everything. I had plans to spend thousands of dollars on suspension mods before someone gave me this piece of advice. I started out w/ just a set of d-specs and rear springs and it turns out I got exactly the performance return I was looking for. I know wonder if I will bother replacing anything else since I'm already happy w/ the handling, since from past experience I've learned that you can ruin a perfectly good car w/ the obsession to mod w/o consideration for the street.

Quick Reply: Impression of FRPP Handling Pack?