Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Impression of FRPP Handling Pack?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 07:59 PM
Steves07GTCS
1st Gear Member

Default Impression of FRPP Handling Pack?

Hey, I'm in the process of modding my '07 GT and am turning to the suspension. My car is a daily driver and I have no intentions of any serious road racing, but I would like to tighten up the handling and overall ride. How much rougher is the FRPP Handling Pack over stock? I don't mind it being rougher than stock, actually would prefer it, but also don't want to **** blood after a long drive. What effects have any of you noticed after installing the handling pack or equivalent parts? Thanks a lot for your input.

Steve
Old 04-20-2009, 09:40 PM
Texotic
5th Gear Member

Consensus on here is that it's better to piece together your own kit than go with any of the pre-packaged stuff, but it looks like you're keeping everything FRPP (maybe for Warranty purposes). If you want to see what the FRPP kit feels like, head down to your local Ford dealer and test drive a Shelby GT, they are equipped with the same kit.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:46 AM
BMRFabricationSales
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Steves07GTCS
Hey, I'm in the process of modding my '07 GT and am turning to the suspension. My car is a daily driver and I have no intentions of any serious road racing, but I would like to tighten up the handling and overall ride. How much rougher is the FRPP Handling Pack over stock? I don't mind it being rougher than stock, actually would prefer it, but also don't want to **** blood after a long drive. What effects have any of you noticed after installing the handling pack or equivalent parts? Thanks a lot for your input.

Steve
Steve, I just wanted to throw our name out there for consideration. We have all of the individual parts that you will need to modify your suspension. We also offer packages as well. I also can make you a custom package combining items from different packages into one, taylored to your needs. I will post you a link to our site. If you have any questions please give me a call. Im in the office until 5:30pm est.

http://www.bmrfabrication.com/2005Mustang.htm
Old 04-21-2009, 09:42 AM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Texotic
Consensus on here is that it's better to piece together your own kit than go with any of the pre-packaged stuff, but it looks like you're keeping everything FRPP (maybe for Warranty purposes). If you want to see what the FRPP kit feels like, head down to your local Ford dealer and test drive a Shelby GT, they are equipped with the same kit.
That's not the concensus at all, in fact no one has ever said that. The only reason it could be misunderstood to be true is some of the best handeling mustangs have peiced together suspentions, but they have hundreds of hours of testing and even then the gains are usually more in pride or in a niche than in results.

The fact is copying an existing suspention is a million miles ahead of buying a a bunch of random stuff. Definitly for the street if you're doing it yourself.

Anyway not only is the Shelby GT suspention the harshest one, but it's also the most expensive and lease effective, that is a legit concensus too.

There are really only two choices if you want to spend the kind of money that the FRPP pack costs, and both will have you going 15% faster, and driving in Porsche and Ferrari territory instead of BMW and Pontiac territory.

I know for a fact that the FRPP handling pack isn't very good because I'm probably one of only a handfull of people besides manfacturers to put ten thousand dollars worth of measuring equipment on a Mustang and tried 4 different types of suspention packages back to back in a few different conditions. My car can pull 1.18g average in a corner and has the same physically measured ride harshness (vertical aceleramoiter) as an FX45 SUV (a car a friend owns). It's by far the most comfortable high performance mustang out there, and close to the top in cornering speed from the known setups.

Let me know if you want some of the info I concluded but really as long as you don't go with a FRPP kit you can't go wrong with the other major aftermarket manufacturers.

Last edited by Legion5; 04-21-2009 at 09:46 AM.
Old 04-21-2009, 09:48 AM
jayel579
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Legion5
That's not the concensus at all.
Yes it is, especially too all the guys in this section that autocross or track there cars. Texotic is one of us.

Buy a set of Koni's from Sam, that is all you need. And they are cheaper then the FFRP handing pack.

Last edited by jayel579; 04-21-2009 at 10:14 AM.
Old 04-21-2009, 10:36 AM
Texotic
5th Gear Member

I guess I should have said "The consensus around here, except for Legion5, is...". No offense, but you're probably the only person that posts in the handling section that feels that way about the handling packages. You were the odd-man-out on the brake system upgrades as well and you keep talking about how you have done independent testing to come to your conclusions, but tell everyone that if they want your data, they need to PM you. Why don't you save us all some trouble and post all of these tests that you have done and the data gathered so that they can be discussed? Seems like the logical thing to do to me.
Old 04-21-2009, 11:12 AM
OhioState87
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Legion5
There are really only two choices if you want to spend the kind of money that the FRPP pack costs, and both will have you going 15% faster, and driving in Porsche and Ferrari territory instead of BMW and Pontiac territory.
What are the two choices you're talking about? Just curious...
Old 04-21-2009, 11:57 AM
nmd55
3rd Gear Member

let me preface my post by saying ive never tested any mustangs, and ive only ever driven my s197.

But that beign said i recently considered the FRPP handling pack and chose to piece together my own suspension mods, and here is why.

The FRPP handling pack includes the following for about $1,400.
Dampers M-18000-A
Lowering Springs M-5300-K
Sway Bars M-5490-A
Strut Tower Brace M-20201-S197.

The consenus here is Strut Tower brace has a minimal improvement on ride quality and is primarily for looks. So essentially you are paying $1400 to improve your dampers, springs and sway bars. You can get the exact same sway bars included in this pack through ford racing for $460.
So you are paying about $900 to improve your dampers and springs.
You can get a set of adjustable koni yellows and any springs you want including the FRPP springs for less then $900.

Also the handling pack is lacking LCAs and UCAs.

So in summary i dont see why anyone would buy the FRPP handling pack, other then for the name. Also i dont buy the arguement that Ford Racing has engineered these parts to work better together. Ford Racing doesnt make their own parts, they take other parts slap their labels on them and increase the price.

Last edited by nmd55; 04-21-2009 at 12:03 PM.
Old 04-21-2009, 12:14 PM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Texotic
I guess I should have said "The consensus around here, except for Legion5, is...". No offense, but you're probably the only person that posts in the handling section that feels that way about the handling packages. You were the odd-man-out on the brake system upgrades as well and you keep talking about how you have done independent testing to come to your conclusions, but tell everyone that if they want your data, they need to PM you. Why don't you save us all some trouble and post all of these tests that you have done and the data gathered so that they can be discussed? Seems like the logical thing to do to me.
I don't feel like arguing with a bunch of HPDE people when I test my car on the track with teams that are professional and rent whole tracks just for testing their cars. Then having my car set up and adjusted for many laps and hours for free by guys that are paid $10,000 a day.

Like I said my car with only 1.5 inchs of suspention travel (which is extraordinarily low for looks) pulls 1.18g average and is no hardsher than an SUV.

This guy wants something soft for the street which is completly different from any other requirement, your konis only improve handeling by directly making the car harsher making using them as "all you need" ridiculous.

Last edited by Legion5; 04-21-2009 at 12:17 PM.
Old 04-21-2009, 12:22 PM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by nmd55

So in summary i dont see why anyone would buy the FRPP handling pack, other then for the name. Also i dont buy the arguement that Ford Racing has engineered these parts to work better together. Ford Racing doesnt make their own parts, they take other parts slap their labels on them and increase the price.
You're right because this in fact is what makes the FRPP suspention the least effective and makes it end up being the most expensive. It's just not completly tuned like Steeda's is, but bashed together from manufacturers like Eibach and rebranded.

Last edited by Legion5; 04-21-2009 at 12:27 PM.

Quick Reply: Impression of FRPP Handling Pack?