Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

What Pads Do You Use at the Track?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 01:29 AM
houstonnw
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Hootna
EBC Yellow Stuff get my two thumbs down.
I can't imagine why:

Originally Posted by EBC Brakes
Because of its huge heat range , the applications where EBC Yellowstuff will deliver benefits range from fastest street use on higher horsepower sedans to Trackday and Race use on most street based cars and even as a brake upgrade on Trucks and SUV. Yellowstuff is especially appreciated on Trucks for towing and heavy loads and where wheel and tire oversize upgrades have been fitted.
Maybe you should be driving a truck instead?
Old 05-08-2009, 01:37 AM
Hootna
3rd Gear Member

That sums it up perfectly. Need matching Yellow stuff pads for my 4x4 so it will not stop either.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:37 AM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

Argo - check your PM's
Old 05-08-2009, 02:15 PM
Philostang
3rd Gear Member

Ok, so I measured just shy of 7/16" pad thickness on the front Carbotech HP10 pads just after bedding. That should give us a baseline.

Best,
-j
Old 05-10-2009, 04:03 PM
zero2sixd
1st Gear Member

I'm one of those guys who switches between the Hawk Blue pads and the OE pads without any issues on the street or track. I think it's precisely because of what Argo said: The Blue pads are so abrasive, particularly when used at the track, that they scrub the rotor surface clean.

I only have time for 4 or so track days and handful of autocross events a year. At that rate I'm not too concerned about rotor wear.
Old 05-16-2009, 10:40 PM
Gray Ghost GT

If you're looking for a real track pad for the road courses given the weight of our cars and speeds you can reach on these courses, I recommend the Carbotech XP12/XP10 or the Hawk DTC-70/DTC-60. The EBC Yellow pads are a good track pad if you don't use your brakes aggressively, e.g., late threshold braking and are running cooling ducts. I've used them on my Celica GT on the road courses with success and sometimes use them on the rear calipers (C5 and Mustang) - definitely wouldn't use them on the front.

Last edited by Gray Ghost GT; 05-16-2009 at 10:43 PM.
Old 05-17-2009, 10:56 PM
sonnier
2nd Gear Member

I use Porterfield R-4S all the way around. Comparable to HP+ which I've run in the past but quieter and less dust. They are adequate but I do sometimes run out of break at the track when they get too hot. I run them with brake ducts too.
Old 05-18-2009, 07:54 AM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

Update on the Carbotech XP10/XP8 combo: I now have 4 track days on these pads. Over the weekend I spent two days at Summit Point Shenandoah, its not a fast track and not particularly hard on brakes. The pads performed well, no fade, good consistent stops, no pulsation or vibration at all. I'm not sure I'm sold on them yet however, they just feel kind of soft. Perhaps its that they don't have the initial bite the Hawk HT-10 does. But, on the plus side they are a lot quieter than the HT-10 and very streetable. They also seem to be really easy on the rotors.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:15 AM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

Default Carbotech XP10/8 Update

Bumping this one back to the top.

Update on Carbotech XP10/XP8 combo: The front pads have about had it. Maybe 2/16" left on them, could probably go another day but the pedal is getting very long so I'm going to replace them. Here is the verdict:
- 6 track days in the dry. 2 at Pocono (easy on brakes), 2 at Shenandoah (medium on brakes), 2 full days at Thunderbolt (brutal) + one night time open track (about 50 min)
- 2 in the rain, so that doesn't really count.
- The pads worked perfect. They stopped very well. Never a hint of fade. They remained quiet at all times (track and street).
- Several hundred miles on the street with them and no issues - their cold stopping power is good. Only drawback is lots of dust. They also work great with street tires, no early lockup.
- I'm advanced intermediate level, usually one of the fastest guys in my run group (more the car than me :-) and brake pretty hard (threshold braking maybe 30% of the time). Running psuedo R-Comps (Nitto 555R2 and NT01).
- The bottom line is I really like the pads performance but not their life expectency - 6 days is not enough. Haven't decided what to go with next, perhaps Cobalt Friction, most of the SCCA T1 guys rave about them.

Last edited by Argonaut; 10-30-2010 at 08:22 PM.
Old 06-22-2009, 02:59 PM
jayel579
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Argonaut
- I'm advanced intermediate level, usually one of the fastest guys in my run group (more the car than me :-) and brake pretty hard (threshold braking maybe 30% of the time). Running psuedo R-Comps (Nitto 555R2 and NT01).
- The bottom line is I really like the pads performance but not their life expectency - 6 days is not enough. Haven't decided what to go with next, perhaps Cobalt Friction, most of the SCCA T1 guys rave about them.
Time for a set of R6's

Brad, I would be interested to hear your reviews on the Cobalt pads. I have heard mixed reviews, some love them some hate them. Mostly for the same reasons you are stating for the Carbotech pads, so I would like to know what you think. My brother had HT-10s then PF(I am not sure which compound) pads on his E30. Liked the PFs until he put in the DTC-60s. He says now he will never go to another pad.

Quick Reply: What Pads Do You Use at the Track?