Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Swapped my Steeda competition springs back in this weekend..

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 04:32 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Default Swapped my Steeda competition springs back in this weekend..

I swapped my H&R races out and the Steeda competition models back in this weekend. I purchased a bumpsteer kit/X5 balljoints/GT500 CA's last week and want to be 100% certain of my preferred spring/drop before installing the other parts, which will require adjustment with level of drop.

I LOVE these Steeda competition springs. They have 80% of the spring rate, roll/dive properties of the H&R's w/o the associated problems. I think the H&R's are just a bit much for DD street use. Awesome on the smooth roads but killer on the potholes.

Problem is.. the Steeda competitions are 29'' ground to wheel well opening front and 28'' ground to wheel well opening rear. I've re-torqued everything today with the suspension loaded and no difference. I'm stumped as to why the front-end is riding higher. I've probably removed a bit of weight from the front of the car w/ headers/CAI etc but a 1'' difference??? My f/r wheels/tires are both the same height so I can't figure it out. I'm taking pictures and sending to Steeda tomorrow. Maybe they can help.
Old 05-11-2009, 12:45 AM
Kobie
2nd Gear Member

I seem to recall someone mentioning that the '07 and later cars had a thicker rubber pad where the springs mount on the strut. I'm not sure that would account for a whole inch though.
Old 05-11-2009, 06:37 AM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

I'd heard that too so I called the dealership. According to the parts guy, that upper front spring seat is the exact same part number for 05-09 models.

I'm using the Steeda HD upper strut mounts. The only part that swapped over during the upgrade is that plastic upper spring seat. The end of the spring is sitting within a quarter inch of the steeda mount so I can't see it making that much of a difference.
Old 05-11-2009, 05:22 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

I'm also running the Steeda Competition springs (555-8241) and just measured my car at 28" rear and 28 1/4" front.

As I expected my front should be sitting lower than yours as I have the added weight of the Roushcharger, intercooler, misc bits and fluid.

Last edited by Sleeper_08; 05-11-2009 at 07:11 PM.
Old 05-11-2009, 05:40 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

I find that quite odd, but it makes perfect sense. Not that I'm planning to take these Steeda Competition springs back off the car anytime soon... these springs are pure HEAVEN on the streets. Perfect balance of stiffness/roll and comfort. I don't even care if the front is higher because they ride and perform so nicely.

I didn't get a chance to take pics/contact Steeda today (hectic monday) but will at some point this week. I'm interested to see what they have to say.
Old 09-02-2009, 07:51 PM
Kobie
2nd Gear Member

Any feedback from Steed on the springs yet??
Old 09-02-2009, 09:05 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Funny you should ask... I just finished removing my wheels looking for an odd noise up front. Not sure if it's the roads here, the heat or what but it seems like around every four to six weeks some noise annoys me, I pull everything apart, put it back together, retorque and it disappears. I plan to purchase new suspension hardware and torque everything real good when it cools down here in TX. Along with some aftermarket swaybar endlinks. I think those may be my noise-makers.

I haven't followed up on the steeda comp springs. They've settled a bit and I just measured 28'' rear and 28.5'' front. So it's not an inch like it was when I first installed but still higher up front. They work so well it really doesn't bother me. I may even swap some steeda sport springs in there to try this fall. Now that I have the super-stiff Hotchkis swaybars I can afford a more compliant ride and still have near zero roll. The Steeda comp springs and d-specs at 3 turns out is just about the maximum I can handle daily driving and really becomes annoying at times...our roads here in Austin aren't the best...
Old 05-06-2011, 12:19 PM
Unleashedbeast
4th Gear Member

Not to resurrect an old thread, but the Steeda Competition springs were built for the GT500 and GTs that had heavier engines than the stock 4.6L

The heavier front springs account for the weight of the iron block and supercharger in the GT500. I have the same springs in my Shelby, and the front is lower than the rear due to engine weight. If you use these springs with a standard lighter 4.6L, the front end will be higher than the rear.
Old 05-06-2011, 12:49 PM
chrumck
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Unleashedbeast
Not to resurrect an old thread, but the Steeda Competition springs were built for the GT500 and GTs that had heavier engines than the stock 4.6L

The heavier front springs account for the weight of the iron block and supercharger in the GT500. I have the same springs in my Shelby, and the front is lower than the rear due to engine weight. If you use these springs with a standard lighter 4.6L, the front end will be higher than the rear.
Yep, Sam Strano was telling me that, I read that somewhere too. There's even a thread here of someone cutting them to make the drop even on regular GT.
Old 05-06-2011, 01:12 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

They are also good on a GT that has a supercharger installed. My recollection is that this is what Sam recommends.

Quick Reply: Swapped my Steeda competition springs back in this weekend..