Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Brembo GT Tire Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 08:51 PM
General Jack

Default Brembo GT Tire Help

I've got a '12 Brembo GT, burned through my OEM Pirelli's in 14k due to regular road racing. Bone stock car down to the air filter and 100% stock suspension.

The tires that were recommended by other (non-Mustang) road racers... the Hankook Ventus RS-3, the Dunlop Direzza DII... are not offered in the stock 255 40 19 size.

Both are offered in 275 35 19, which I understand will fit on the fronts... but because those tires are 26.6" tall compared to the stockers 27.0" the annoying wheel gap will grow larger. Neither are offered in 275 40 19 which would also fit and help close the wheel gap (27.7" tall).

I would really prefer to stick with a 255 40 19... what are the best options for my 5.0 for road racing? Don't care much about tread life but they do need to be street legal (not competition only).
Old 04-25-2013, 09:43 PM
notsofast
2nd Gear Member

I'd either look at the Michelin Pilot Super Sports (which are offered in 275/40/19) or look for 18-inch rims that will clear your brakes and suspension - you'll have far greater choices of good track tires at 18-inch.
Michelin Pilot Super Sports are getting a lot of good reviews.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:04 PM
General Jack

Originally Posted by notsofast
I'd either look at the Michelin Pilot Super Sports (which are offered in 275/40/19) or look for 18-inch rims that will clear your brakes and suspension - you'll have far greater choices of good track tires at 18-inch.
Michelin Pilot Super Sports are getting a lot of good reviews.
Thanks, yes, I've noticed that about the Michelin Pilot Super Sports. The treadwear rating of 300 is throwing me off though as far as their capability. Maybe unjustly?

I hear you on 18s but I'd rather stick with my Brembo wheels...
Old 04-27-2013, 06:14 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by General Jack
Both are offered in 275 35 19, which I understand will fit on the fronts... but because those tires are 26.6" tall compared to the stockers 27.0" the annoying wheel gap will grow larger.
I honestly wouldn't let an 0.2" increase in the wheel gap dictate my choice here - it's not the entire 0.4" that looking only at the numbers suggests. Remember that half of the shorter diameter goes into lowering the whole car.

Remember also that there is more than 0.4" diameter difference between a brand-new tire at full tread depth and the same tire when it's worn all the way to the wear bars. This never seems to bother even the most appearance-conscious enough to ever cause mention.

Given that the slightly shorter tire is also slightly wider (fills the volume of the wheel well out wider), you may not even notice it.

275/40-18 is a fairly popular size, and it's about the same 26.6-ish OD . . . just sayin'.

Norm.

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 04-27-2013 at 06:33 AM.
Old 04-27-2013, 06:29 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by General Jack
Thanks, yes, I've noticed that about the Michelin Pilot Super Sports. The treadwear rating of 300 is throwing me off though as far as their capability. Maybe unjustly?

I hear you on 18s but I'd rather stick with my Brembo wheels...
Just how wide are the Brembo wheels? That could and perhaps should influence either (a) your tire size choice or (b) the decision to maintain a set of tires dedicated to track time in addition to the street set. Given that most organizations really don't want you out on the track with patched or plugged tires, there's a lot to be said for option (b) here in addition to your appearance preference. Who cares what the wheel diameter is or what they look like at speed on a track out in the middle of nowhere?

You may want to do research in greater depth concerning the Michelin PSS. I'd start with Tire Rack's own tests and see if you can find comparisons where the PSS and the 'kooks or Dunlops were compared against the same tire or very similar tires.

Something else to consider is tread width, not just section width. Seems a lot of 265-wide tires come with tread widths closer to what 285-wide tires in the same tire model are listed at. I suspect that SCCA's 265 limit for STX autocross may have had something to do with this, and it might be worth taking advantage of

Norm
Old 04-28-2013, 02:03 PM
Boaisy
1st Gear Member

Brembo wheels are 19" x 9". I ran out of my Pirelli's at 14k miles as well, but I put Bridgestone Potenza PP's on mine (mainly for the daily driving use). My plan is to setup with a staggered set of Laguna Seca wheels for the track. I mainly run autocrosses, and have done a couple of test-n-tune's on them. The Bridgestone's hook a hell of a lot better than Pirrelli's, and are cheaper per tire too vs. factory.

I've had people use Nitto Invo's, and they say those do fine. I have not used them personally so I wouldn't be able to comment on how I would like them. BFGoodrich G-Force is supposed to be good too, and they do offer the Brembo size. Problem with the Hankook's (I have a buddy with the same setup as I do who uses them), they don't seem to grip all that well.

Last edited by Boaisy; 04-28-2013 at 02:08 PM.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:32 AM
General Jack

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
I honestly wouldn't let an 0.2" increase in the wheel gap dictate my choice here - it's not the entire 0.4" that looking only at the numbers suggests. Remember that half of the shorter diameter goes into lowering the whole car.

Remember also that there is more than 0.4" diameter difference between a brand-new tire at full tread depth and the same tire when it's worn all the way to the wear bars. This never seems to bother even the most appearance-conscious enough to ever cause mention.

Given that the slightly shorter tire is also slightly wider (fills the volume of the wheel well out wider), you may not even notice it.

275/40-18 is a fairly popular size, and it's about the same 26.6-ish OD . . . just sayin'.

Norm.
Good point on the difference in tire size, probably not worth worrying about.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:35 AM
General Jack

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
Just how wide are the Brembo wheels? That could and perhaps should influence either (a) your tire size choice or (b) the decision to maintain a set of tires dedicated to track time in addition to the street set. Given that most organizations really don't want you out on the track with patched or plugged tires, there's a lot to be said for option (b) here in addition to your appearance preference. Who cares what the wheel diameter is or what they look like at speed on a track out in the middle of nowhere?

You may want to do research in greater depth concerning the Michelin PSS. I'd start with Tire Rack's own tests and see if you can find comparisons where the PSS and the 'kooks or Dunlops were compared against the same tire or very similar tires.

Something else to consider is tread width, not just section width. Seems a lot of 265-wide tires come with tread widths closer to what 285-wide tires in the same tire model are listed at. I suspect that SCCA's 265 limit for STX autocross may have had something to do with this, and it might be worth taking advantage of

Norm
The brembo wheels are 19 x 9. I ran 275s on SS replica wheels (17 x 9) on my LS camaro a while back, they worked, bulged a bit but I didn't mind because it was a drag racing application.

Good point on checking the actual sizes because you are right, they vary among manufacturer. Some 275s might actually not be much wider than some 255s.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:52 AM
General Jack

Originally Posted by Boaisy
Brembo wheels are 19" x 9". I ran out of my Pirelli's at 14k miles as well, but I put Bridgestone Potenza PP's on mine (mainly for the daily driving use). My plan is to setup with a staggered set of Laguna Seca wheels for the track. I mainly run autocrosses, and have done a couple of test-n-tune's on them. The Bridgestone's hook a hell of a lot better than Pirrelli's, and are cheaper per tire too vs. factory.

I've had people use Nitto Invo's, and they say those do fine. I have not used them personally so I wouldn't be able to comment on how I would like them. BFGoodrich G-Force is supposed to be good too, and they do offer the Brembo size. Problem with the Hankook's (I have a buddy with the same setup as I do who uses them), they don't seem to grip all that well.
Funny, I had a driving instructor tell me they were the best tires he'd ever used (the Ventus R-S3). I guess everyone has an opinion lol.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:04 PM
Boaisy
1st Gear Member

hell my friend may just suck as a driver :P. he just ends up spinning out a lot under high-g turns, or at least more than I do if I ever spin.

Quick Reply: Brembo GT Tire Help