Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Anyone tracking with replica wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 09:46 PM
TennTex

Question Anyone tracking with replica wheels?

I have been doing HPDE events with Drivers Edge here in Texas for a few years. I started with a 330i, but went back to my first love, Mustangs, last year.

I am not crazy about the appearance of the 18" Bullet wheels on my Shelby GT, and would like to change to the FR500 style wheel - both for looks and for possible future brake upgrade space.

My biggest concern is the quality & strength of a replica wheel. I don't want one failing on me while going at high speed on a track!

Has anyone been tracking with any of the many replica FR500 wheels out there?

Last edited by TennTex; 06-11-2009 at 09:51 PM. Reason: Deleted sentence.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:48 PM
siberian.mist
4th Gear Member

there usually a little heavier. as far as strength goes im sure they are fine.
Old 06-12-2009, 08:57 PM
TennTex

Thanks siberian.mist. Looks like you've got black ones on your car, and it sounds like your happy with them.

Anyone else been on track with replica wheels?
Old 06-12-2009, 09:42 PM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

as I remember siberian does not have FR500 wheels.

most of the ones I've examined in passing seem to have a disadvantage compared to genuine wheels in terms of weight not strength this is easily justifiable due to the possibility of litigation biting into the very small profit margins of replica wheel makers.
Old 06-13-2009, 11:15 AM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Which version replica FR500??? About 10 different types are manufactured. I would look at some of the lighter-weight models of HRE, Ray's, Gram Lights, SSE, Volk (which aren't cheap) etc in the correct offset for track use. Maybe even some lightweight 17's of those brands.
Old 06-13-2009, 11:21 AM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

I have replica GT40 wheels, no problems on the track.
Its amazing how much stress those little skinny spokes can hold
Old 06-13-2009, 11:25 AM
siberian.mist
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Legion5
as I remember siberian does not have FR500 wheels.

most of the ones I've examined in passing seem to have a disadvantage compared to genuine wheels in terms of weight not strength this is easily justifiable due to the possibility of litigation biting into the very small profit margins of replica wheel makers.

correct, they are redlines, not fr500s
Old 06-13-2009, 07:05 PM
TennTex

Legion 5: Yeah, strength is my main concern. I'm not too worried about a bit of extra unsprung weight.

Rubrignitz: Brand wise, all that seems to pop up in Google searches are from American Muscle, or Cruizin Concepts. I see some at Discount Tire with a "Replica Alloy" name. I assume all of these are imported, and can't really tell who makes what. I found the "CTR" web site as well, but it looks like most everything is out of stock and the "feel" I get is that it is not supported well at all. I'll do some searching for the names you mentioned. (Are they really in FR500 style, though?)

Stoenr: Thanks. I actually found one of your older posts and saw your web site with track pix from last year. Have you done multiple events on your wheels? Looks like you were pushing hard on track, and your car looked great! I was going to post a track picture here, but did not take the time to set up the picture hosting thing...

I will keep doing research into this, but unless I find some with a definite trustworthy brand, I will probably take a chance and get a set. Then I will just keep a close eye on them!
Old 06-14-2009, 02:03 AM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by TennTex
Legion 5: Yeah, strength is my main concern. I'm not too worried about a bit of extra unsprung weight.

Rubrignitz: Brand wise, all that seems to pop up in Google searches are from American Muscle, or Cruizin Concepts. I see some at Discount Tire with a "Replica Alloy" name. I assume all of these are imported, and can't really tell who makes what. I found the "CTR" web site as well, but it looks like most everything is out of stock and the "feel" I get is that it is not supported well at all. I'll do some searching for the names you mentioned. (Are they really in FR500 style, though?)

Stoenr: Thanks. I actually found one of your older posts and saw your web site with track pix from last year. Have you done multiple events on your wheels? Looks like you were pushing hard on track, and your car looked great! I was going to post a track picture here, but did not take the time to set up the picture hosting thing...

I will keep doing research into this, but unless I find some with a definite trustworthy brand, I will probably take a chance and get a set. Then I will just keep a close eye on them!
Thanks, unfortunately, Mine are CTR, and yes, the seller has seemed to vanished in thin air, wtf!
just hope I never brick a wheel. = 4 new ones.
Yes, I pushed it about as hard as the car and I could handle.
That was the only way to pass the vettes, lotus' and others, lol.
Old 06-14-2009, 08:58 PM
TennTex

Originally Posted by Stoenr
Thanks, unfortunately, Mine are CTR, and yes, the seller has seemed to vanished in thin air, wtf!
just hope I never brick a wheel. = 4 new ones.
Yes, I pushed it about as hard as the car and I could handle.
That was the only way to pass the vettes, lotus' and others, lol.
Yeah, that is odd... Actually, I may need to go with GT4's over FR500's, mainly 'cause I want something other than chrome or black. American Muscle has a nice looking "hypercoat" GT4 wheel, for example.

I've done about 10 events, but last year switched cars, so I'm just now getting to the point of driving the car rather than worrying about going off! I had a great weekend last month at MSR, and am pushing to the point where I need brake ducts and some wider rubber. I have passed a few nice cars, but it's all about the driver, as I'm sure you know!

Quick Reply: Anyone tracking with replica wheels?