Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Shocks/struts to match Bullitt springs?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 05:21 AM
mustangtestuser
2nd Gear Member

Default Shocks/struts to match Bullitt springs?

I'm starting to plan out my suspension mods and I'm trying to decided on shocks, struts and springs. I don't like the "slammed" look and after daily driving a Corvette for a year I'm tired of scraping the bottom of the car.

Anyway, what I would appreciate is a stiffer spring. I have my eye on the Bullitt springs which I can get cheaply. They lower the car about 0.25 inch front and rear and are stiffer than stock.

However, I have no idea how much stiffer! Does anyone know the spring rates?

I'm also thinking about the non-adjustable Konis instead of the shocks and struts that come with the Bullitt.

How well would these components match up?

What I'm especially looking for are Bullitt owners out there that have replaced their shocks and struts, but not the springs and their impressions.
Old 06-19-2009, 01:10 PM
JiminVirginia

I can tell you that the Bullitt springs (i) will not lower the car to the degree you would notice it and (ii) aren't appreciably stiffer than the standard GT springs.

When I decided to make my Bullitt handle, I replaced the springs.

In your case, I bet the non-adjustable Konis would help alot by themselves.
Old 06-19-2009, 07:50 PM
mustangtestuser
2nd Gear Member

That's disappointing, but probably saved me $200. I'll look into replacing the shocks and struts and skip the springs, since I don't really want to lower it.
Old 06-19-2009, 08:10 PM
KeneticEnergy
2nd Gear Member

theres springs out there that down lower a whole crazy lot. for example, vogtland makes a set for the GT that is .8 front, 1.2 rear
Old 06-19-2009, 08:32 PM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustangtestuser
I'm starting to plan out my suspension mods and I'm trying to decided on shocks, struts and springs. I don't like the "slammed" look and after daily driving a Corvette for a year I'm tired of scraping the bottom of the car.

Anyway, what I would appreciate is a stiffer spring. I have my eye on the Bullitt springs which I can get cheaply. They lower the car about 0.25 inch front and rear and are stiffer than stock.

However, I have no idea how much stiffer! Does anyone know the spring rates?

I'm also thinking about the non-adjustable Konis instead of the shocks and struts that come with the Bullitt.

How well would these components match up?

What I'm especially looking for are Bullitt owners out there that have replaced their shocks and struts, but not the springs and their impressions.
The Bulitt handles a corner at the same speed as the Mustang GT but rides like the Shelby GT (which rides very badly).

Forget the Bullitt springs and any of the Bullitt suspension, it's terrible.
Old 06-19-2009, 11:15 PM
mustangtestuser
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by KeneticEnergy
theres springs out there that down lower a whole crazy lot. for example, vogtland makes a set for the GT that is .8 front, 1.2 rear
The least aggressive I've seen are the H&R OE Sport Springs. They lower the vehicle .75 inches front and .75 rear.

I'll probably just wait and use whatever springs Ford installed on the 2010 track pack. I'll be able to get the takeoff parts for next to nothing, I know they won't lower the vehicle much if at all, and they should be a good match for the Koni shocks and struts. If the gains are small, then it won't matter, since the price will likely be cheap.

If I decide I can't wait, then I'll just keep the stock springs and install the Koni parts. Better handling, stock ride height, and it won't ride like a truck.

Last edited by mustangtestuser; 06-19-2009 at 11:18 PM.
Old 06-20-2009, 12:31 AM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

The least aggressive I've seen are the H&R OE Sport Springs. They lower the vehicle .75 inches front and .75 rear.

I'll probably just wait and use whatever springs Ford installed on the 2010 track pack. I'll be able to get the takeoff parts for next to nothing, I know they won't lower the vehicle much if at all, and they should be a good match for the Koni shocks and struts. If the gains are small, then it won't matter, since the price will likely be cheap.

If I decide I can't wait, then I'll just keep the stock springs and install the Koni parts. Better handling, stock ride height, and it won't ride like a truck.
Dude the 2010 mustang already performs similar to the 2005 Shelby GT and rides softer than the GT the track pack is going to be a beast.

Last edited by Legion5; 06-20-2009 at 01:44 PM.
Old 06-20-2009, 10:20 PM
mustangtestuser
2nd Gear Member

I did some searching and it's not hard to clone the 2010 suspension, nor the performance. I've done most of the mods already, except with what I think are better parts (more aggressive gearing/tune, stiffer lower control arms, light wheels, etc.)...

My car already runs a 13.5 in the 1/4 (60 foot time was only 2.18 seconds), that's O/D on, traction control on, with stock 235/55R17 tires and me not launching it at all. I can't wait to take it back and try the car out with the wider tires/lighter wheels and nitrous.

Here's what's on the 2010 track pack:

-Dual-piston front calipers with performance brake Pads
-Performance 3.73 axle ratio
-Recalibrated Electronic Stability Control® (ESC) – requires manual transmission
-GT500 front and rear stabilizer bars
-Front strut and rear shock tuning
-Rear GT500 lower control arm
-19" premium painted wheels
-Summer-only performance tires (255 series)
-Tire mobility kit (available Summer 2009)

No mention of springs, apparently, it just uses the stock springs. Konis and a set of Steeda front/rear sway bars and endlinks and I'll be there.
Old 06-22-2009, 05:18 AM
Gene K
5th Gear Member

I did some searching and it's not hard to clone the 2010 suspension, nor the performance.

Here's what's on the 2010 track pack:

-Dual-piston front calipers with performance brake Pads
-Performance 3.73 axle ratio
-Recalibrated Electronic Stability Control® (ESC) – requires manual transmission
-GT500 front and rear stabilizer bars
-Front strut and rear shock tuning
-Rear GT500 lower control arm
-19" premium painted wheels
-Summer-only performance tires (255 series)
-Tire mobility kit (available Summer 2009)

No mention of springs, apparently, it just uses the stock springs. Konis and a set of Steeda front/rear sway bars and endlinks and I'll be there.
You left out the 2007-2009 GT500 Rear Springs that are on all 2010 GTs.
Old 06-22-2009, 05:25 AM
Gene K
5th Gear Member

I have my eye on the Bullitt springs which I can get cheaply. They lower the car about 0.25 inch front and rear and are stiffer than stock.
According to the info Ford has released the Bullitt uses the same spring rates front and rear as the standard 2005-2009 GT. It was supposed to use the AC rear springs from the base V-6 Coupe which have a 6mm shorter free length than the BC springs that come on a base GT Deluxe. The only unique suspension parts I can find on the Bullitt are the shocks.

Quick Reply: Shocks/struts to match Bullitt springs?